Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have another question. I have the ChargeUp app and it asks to put funds in How much does it usually cost to charge a vehicle. Just want to know how much to add to the funds.

· Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
137 Posts
I haven't heard of "ChargeUp" chargers. Where are these located?
For reference, EA and Chargepoint takes $10 chunks out of my VISA every time my balance drops below $10. For example, if I have $11 sitting in my balance and my next charge costs $5, they automatically take out $10 and I now have $16 in my balance... waiting for the next drop below $10.
Lately, on trips, I'll fast charge from 20-70% or 32kwhr. At EA this would be $0.31x32 = $9.92. At some ChargePoints this would be $0.15x32 = $4.80.
-Barry

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
Yeah, a lot of variables on the cost of charging. First of course is how much energy you put in the battery. Second is where you are and what charging provider you're using. Third is if you are paying their standard rate or if you've become a paid member for lower prices.

For example, Electrify America charges 43 cents per kWh, plus I believe there's a tax on the total. I don't pay for membership, so that's their default rate here in WA. In some locations, they charge by time, and a Niro EV would pay 16 cents per minute. If I signed up for their Pass+ plan, I would pay a $4 monthly fee, but the charging cost would drop to 31 cents/kWh, about 25%. I figure if I needed to charge more than twice a month the monthly fee would be less than paying the higher rate. I can't find any record of my few DC charging attempts, but most of them were likely in the range of $10-15 as I was only adding some charge to allow me to make it home without range concern, not to bring my back up to 80%.

EVGo only charges by the minute in WA. With a slower charging EV like my Bolt, it's usually far more expensive to pay per minute. My Bolt tops out at 55kW, while the Niro will max out at around 80kW. Both are far slower than something like the Kia EV6 that can exceed 200 kW charging. I've used EVGo a couple of times, only because GM gave me a $500 credit when I leased my Bolt. Because of the slower charging speed, I paid almost 80 cents per kWh.

And all of this is compared to charging at home, which only costs me 11 cents/kWh. So home charging is by far the best way to go. Naturally, there are times you need to charge on the road.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm interested in knowing too. How much does it cost to charge a Niro EV at a public charging station? Just curious and I won't hold anybody to an exact amount LOL. $10, $20, $30? Say it's close to being empty.

· Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
137 Posts
I'm interested in knowing too. How much does it cost to charge a Niro EV at a public charging station? Just curious and I won't hold anybody to an exact amount LOL. $10, $20, $30? Say it's close to being empty.
EA charging stations are pretty consistent around here. If I’m travelling, I’ll pay the $4/month membership fee. It’s easily cancelable at the end of the month on the app. Then it’s 31¢/kwh in my neck of the woods.

So say you pull in at 5%. I would not charge to >80% because that takes too long (reserve 100% for home or hotel). So that comes to a 75% charge of a 64.8kwh battery or 48.6kwhr. I.e., your car used 48.6kwhr. But charging may be 1% inefficient so actual charging will be 49.1kwh. 31¢/kwh x 49.1kwh = $15.22. Add 6% tax, = $16.13 to charge that car. This is worst case for me.

I like to look at cost/mile so in the above scenario, say interstate driving gave you 3.3m/kwh. Then 3.3 x 48.6 = 160.38 miles. So it cost me $16.13/160.38 = 10¢/mile.

Chargepoint is all over the map. There are a couple in the Salt Lake City area that is 15¢/kwr. And I don’t have to pay a membership fee for it. In that case I’m paying ~5¢/mile. Jackson Hole DC charger is free.

Another way to look at it is-- realize “100%” = 64.8kwhr. If I’m going to put roughly “50%” into my “tank” then I take 32.4kwh and multiply by the DCFC rate. Realize some inefficiencies and add tax.

And another way for EA: I pay ~20¢/%(of battery meter) + tax. Or 10¢/% for certain Chargepoint locations.

Clear as mud?

-Barry

Reactions: FlNiro

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks Barry. I was just wondering about a ball park figure and what you said satisfied my curiosity lol.It sounds like I can compare it to my Niro if I stop for gas at a quarter of a tank it's gonna take about 7-8 gals, and that's about $23-$26 so the electric is about $10 less, or is my thinking wrong.

· Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
137 Posts
Thanks Barry. I was just wondering about a ball park figure and what you said satisfied my curiosity lol.It sounds like I can compare it to my Niro if I stop for gas at a quarter of a tank it's gonna take about 7-8 gals, and that's about $23-$26 so the electric is about $10 less, or is my thinking wrong.
I don't know. I can only compare cost/mile. Some gas may be $6/gal. Some may be $2.50/gal. Some EV rates may be 31¢/kwh or some may be 6¢/kwh (my house). The Niro HEV may get 40mpg on the highway and the EV get’s 3.3m/kwh on the highway. Or the Niro may get 50mpg around town while the EV gets 5.1m/kwh around town.

So in the end some days the gas will be cheaper (for cheap gas and high electric rates) and vice versa. I have to look at cost/mile.

-Barry

Reactions: FlNiro

· Registered
555 Posts
I don't know. I can only compare cost/mile. Some gas may be $6/gal. Some may be $2.50/gal. Some EV rates may be 31¢/kwh or some may be 6¢/kwh (my house). The Niro HEV may get 40mpg on the highway and the EV get’s 3.3m/kwh on the highway. Or the Niro may get 50mpg around town while the EV gets 5.1m/kwh around town.

So in the end some days the gas will be cheaper (for cheap gas and high electric rates) and vice versa. I have to look at cost/mile.

-Barry
Cost per mile is the thing to consider and as you say varies. My Hybrid, (2017 NIRO) averages a bit over 50MPG for 58,000 miles per Fuelly). Say 50 MPG at ave price around here has been say $3 per gallon ( was low as $2.49 and now is $3.09, but discount with food points from like Kroger). Anyway, $3 for 50 miles is $0.06 per mile.

Hard to consider cost difference in vehicles also> Maybe get a regular Gas Car that is say 30 MPG and equivalent size, comfort, etc., if a few thousand $$$ cheaper. Hard to see advantages in Hybrid or EV (especially EV with the range and charging issues). That aid, I wish they could do away with gas powered vehicles and get more renewable electric energy to help pollution. Time will tell of it is practical (consider cost of electric, cost of EV Vehicles, and cost in pollution to produce either type car).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts