Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After complaining twice since purchasing my Niro EX in September/October 2018. I finally got them to find the source and fix it. Front lower control arms worn and cracked. Replaced under warranty even though I do have the 120K extended warranty. I see polyurethane inserts in my future, if it wears early again. So if your Niro creaks like an old stagecoach as weight shifts or suspension loads and unloads. This could be your culprit too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the post GreyNiro, seems like you may be the 1st to experience this issue.

You mention possible polyurethane inserts (do you mean bushings?) in your future -- were your control arms worn and cracked or just your OEM bushings?

Your car looks great with the aftermarket wheels & low profile tires (40 series?) -- also looks like it may have a some suspension mods (springs...?).

Not to cast blame but while such mods can look great for sure, I can't help but wonder if those mods might have contributed to the early control arms failure. I know a number of guys who have raised altered their 4 x 4s suspension and they go through suspension parts pretty rapidly.

Honestly, assuming you have significantly altered the tire size & suspension I'm surprised that Kia is honoring your warranty. Did they challenge you on the aftermarket parts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the post GreyNiro, seems like you may be the 1st to experience this issue.

You mention possible polyurethane inserts (do you mean bushings?) in your future -- were your control arms worn and cracked or just your OEM bushings?

Your car looks great with the aftermarket wheels & low profile tires (40 series?) -- also looks like it may have a some suspension mods (springs...?).

Not to cast blame but while such mods can look great for sure, I can't help but wonder if those mods might have contributed to the early control arms failure. I know a number of guys who have raised altered their 4 x 4s suspension and they go through suspension parts pretty rapidly.

Honestly, assuming you have significantly altered the tire size & suspension I'm surprised that Kia is honoring your warranty. Did they challenge you on the aftermarket parts?
Thanks!
All good questions, I'm curious as well, hopefully OP will come back and update us.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dovidan, thank you for mentioning about the OP modifying his suspension and tires! The OP made no mention of this. Of course he is going to have abnormal wear on his suspension as well as other situations due to modifying the car. The information you provided is probably the most important piece in the whole thread.

Without the info you provided the implication is that others will have suspension problems after 100,000 miles and the dealer would be reluctant to fix it which isn't the case at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2018 EX made a clunk at the rear from new when the suspension was loading while turning (eg. the transition from my sloped driveway to the street). While unable to reproduce, my Kia dealer assured me it was safe. At around 6,000 miles it slowly turned into a creaking and has progressively got worse and worse creaking but no more clunk! I am now at 17,000 miles.

Every time I go to the Kia dealer for an oil change I ask them to look at it and every time they say 'cannot reproduce'. Next time I go I'm going to push harder to have the tech ride with me so I can reproduce for them. Anyway this sounds familiar to your issue. My car is completely stock, no mods at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys for not posting follow-ups on the subject of creaking from the lower control arms. I was on the west coast for a few months. To pick up from July questions. It had about 14K miles at the time and now it has about 20K. Yes I drive a lot for my business . I didn't have the 20" wheels when the noises started, so going plus 2 with a 8.5' wheel wouldn't cause such problems. Nothing else has been changed other than wheels and tires. My sister drives a 2017 Kia Optima hybrid with after market 20s and hasn't noticed any of the pops or creaks. I also have a Genesis 3.8 and a Solstice GXP with 20s that has never made such noises or pops. So it's clear to me that it's a Niro problem. I learned that they only replaced the (R) right control arm because the left wasn't making noise... well, until September. It had about 14K miles at the time and now it has about 20K and like I said before. The dealer claimed that the bushings were cracked but I doubt if that's true because the driver side's rubber bushings look perfect. My guess is the metal sleeve around the bushing is moving and causing the popping noise or the creaking. Either way I'm supposed to bring it back to them for the driver side. I plan to look at the old part before they return it, this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts