Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive roughly 80 miles a day, which is why I bought the Niro HEV. I'm used to being able to adjust the cruise control on the highway by either speeding up or slowing down. Seems basic. With he Niro I set it at say 72, it immediately slows to 70, then may recover and got to 73. If I want to speed up from say 71 to 73, I push the lever up (+) and it responds slowly, but then doesn't stay there. Maybe because it is such a low powered vehicle, it doesn't stay at a set speed. My previous VW TDi was easy to drive using just the cruise control.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 2018 HEV and I don't have any of those issues. Mine works find just like any other car:confused:

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
With mine I find it holds a steady speed far better than any previous car I've had, including the Outback with Eyesight. The adaptive cruise in the Niro doesn't seem to hunt up and down at all to hold a speed. As far as using the buttons to speed up/down, it always stays at the speed that is set when I release the button. It doesn't go back to the previous speed, because using the button sets a new speed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 2019 PHEV and I don't have any of those issues. Mine works find just like any other car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
OMG...The cruise control is the only thing that might make me get rid of the Niro.

Its maddeningly bad...not just not holding a speed, but Resume absolutely does not Resume, its more like a suggestion and the + and - switches might as well be connected to the turn signals. One push up...nothing, another push up...nothing, another push up...gas pedal goes straight to the floor and 7 or 8 mphs get added to the current speed. Typically, I just shut it off and restart it and that seems to work for a while. Sometimes, while set to 62, I will pass a car and the 9 or 10 minutes go by and I look in my mirror and that car is catching me. Look at the speedometer and see Im doing 58...and I never touched anything.

Of the 20 or so other vehicles I have owned, this is the only one that I cannot count on a speed being consistent. I mean, how hard is it to stay at 62 when I press the button at 62? It has nothing to do with the power level, as I owned a way weaker vehicles and they held speed. I even owned a 72 Mercury Monarch with an aftermarket cruise control and it was much better that the one on the Niro.

And again...NO, I do not have any fancy drivers training aids, just old fashioned cruise control. Having to get the computer reprogrammed when I had it in for the dead main fuse did not change anything with the cruise control. (It did alter some stuff, but thats not for this discussion). The dealer told me that it might help, but it did not.

·
Registered
2018 Kia NiroTouring & 2020 Kia Niro EX-Premium
5 Posts
CC in most newer cars is an all digital system and generally very accurate. I can tell you the systems involved are generally the BCM, ECM/TCM or PCM, ETC, VSS. If it not holding the set speed on a flat road then there is definitely a problem and is not normal

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If you are going 72 mph with your foot on the throttle and hit "set", then yes, usual behavior is to drop a couple miles per hour before recovering. Basically cruise control is off until your foot is off the throttle. The exception is going faster than the set speed, now releasing the throttle will bring it back to the set speed.

Yes, if you are on CC at 72, and toggle it +, it should go up by one mph. Mine does and I'm a heavy CC user with very little time spent using my foot. Nor do I have any trouble with resume, except that acceleration is not predictable. Most of the time it will rise slowly to the set speed, but occasionally it will take off fast for some reason in the exact same situation (usually an on ramp).

·
Registered
439 Posts
What I have discovered is the the cruise control must be the only thing that you can touch and it seems to work. Example, accelerating and press SET, doesn't work well, the result is random, however driving at 63, take foot off accelerator then press SET and it works better, it might drop 1 mph, but that's all. Same with RESUME. Get to 1 mph over what was set, take foot off accelerator and hit RESUME, and it works.

It's almost like the computer is overwhelmed and just can't handle input.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Again, CC control doesn't work with your foot on the accelerator. What you just described is completely consistent with that.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
102 Posts
Mine works great too. My other car is a Mercedes, and the Niro's works as well (except it won't speed up as quickly). Perhaps some of these need looked at by the dealer, because I'm completely satisfied.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was a Firmware up-date for cruise control... Is your Firmware up to date...?
Note: Mine is Spot On... Almost to Good at holding speed, because it will drop out of top gear for only 1 MPH drop from locked speed going up a incline...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG...The cruise control is the only thing that might make me get rid of the Niro.

Its maddeningly bad...not just not holding a speed, but Resume absolutely does not Resume, its more like a suggestion and the + and - switches might as well be connected to the turn signals. One push up...nothing, another push up...nothing, another push up...gas pedal goes straight to the floor and 7 or 8 mphs get added to the current speed. Typically, I just shut it off and restart it and that seems to work for a while. Sometimes, while set to 62, I will pass a car and the 9 or 10 minutes go by and I look in my mirror and that car is catching me. Look at the speedometer and see Im doing 58...and I never touched anything.

Of the 20 or so other vehicles I have owned, this is the only one that I cannot count on a speed being consistent. I mean, how hard is it to stay at 62 when I press the button at 62? It has nothing to do with the power level, as I owned a way weaker vehicles and they held speed. I even owned a 72 Mercury Monarch with an aftermarket cruise control and it was much better that the one on the Niro.

And again...NO, I do not have any fancy drivers training aids, just old fashioned cruise control. Having to get the computer reprogrammed when I had it in for the dead main fuse did not change anything with the cruise control. (It did alter some stuff, but thats not for this discussion). The dealer told me that it might help, but it did not.
This precisely what I'm referring to. I don't have the adaptive version, maybe that is the difference. Today I drove my GLA45 and I can be vey precise with the CC. Run it up to 72, pull the lever and it stays there. Push up once it gains 1+ MPH and stays there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Again, CC control doesn't work with your foot on the accelerator. What you just described is completely consistent with that.
Not sure what you are referring to...I know how CC works.

I cannot even hit the SET button if my foot is pressing on the accelerator pedal. I must take my foot completely off the pedal and then press SET, otherwise it simply chooses a random speed to lock on to, sometimes above the speed I am going, sometimes below the speed I am going.

I have used cruise control every day for the last 4 years to drive to my job. With the FFH, I get up to speed and press the SET button, didn't matter if I was accelerating, coasting or slowing down. Whatever speed I was moving at when I pressed the SET button the car would stay at that speed. With the Niro...not so much. With the FFH, pressing the + button instantly gave me a 1 mph increase, press it 3 times and get a 3 mph increase, same with slowing down, press the - button and slow down by 1 mph. With the Niro...again, not so much.

Its just so unbelievably inconsistent...

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to...I know how CC works.

I cannot even hit the SET button if my foot is pressing on the accelerator pedal. I must take my foot completely off the pedal and then press SET, otherwise it simply chooses a random speed to lock on to, sometimes above the speed I am going, sometimes below the speed I am going.

I have used cruise control every day for the last 4 years to drive to my job. With the FFH, I get up to speed and press the SET button, didn't matter if I was accelerating, coasting or slowing down. Whatever speed I was moving at when I pressed the SET button the car would stay at that speed. With the Niro...not so much. With the FFH, pressing the + button instantly gave me a 1 mph increase, press it 3 times and get a 3 mph increase, same with slowing down, press the - button and slow down by 1 mph. With the Niro...again, not so much.

Its just so unbelievably inconsistent...
Perhaps there's a difference between the adaptive cruise and the standard, but my adaptive cruise does exactly what you are saying. I can set the speed while I'm pressing the gas pedal, but it's won't actually take over the throttle until I remove my foot from the pedal, as @yticolev mentions. If I over-ride the CC with the pedal, it allows me to accelerate, and resumes the set speed when I let off. If I stay on the pedal too long, the CC will disengage.

Pressing the +/- button quickly gives me 1 MPH increments. If I press and hold it, I then get 5 MPH increments. Completely consistent every time, and matches exactly what my Subaru did with adaptive cruise, as well as the standard cruise on my cars before that.

I agree, try driving a different car (same equipment level) and compare. If it doesn't behave as yours does, there's something wrong with your car.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
29 Posts
I have 2020 Phev with adaptive cruise control and it works perfectly fine, never had an issue. Keeps the speed i set unless there is car in front that is slowing down.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I must take my foot completely off the pedal and then press SET, otherwise it simply chooses a random speed to lock on to, sometimes above the speed I am going, sometimes below the speed I am going.
As @yticolev said, this is the expected behavior. If you press Set with your foot on the gas it won't work correctly. You need to accelerate to your desired speed, release the accelerator and press the Set button.

From the manual:

Interesting that it says to hold the Set and then release the accelerator. I guess that lets you control the set point more accurately. I've never done it this way, I just take my foot off the gas and hit Set at the same time. No problems.

Note also that it says that it may speed up or slow down when setting on a hill.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Before my Subaru, I never had a car that would hold speed downhill. They would all gain speed the same as coasting in gear, just a little compression braking, but no application of the brakes.

Before I bought the Subaru, I test drove some other cars with it, and even with adaptive cruise not all would hold speed downhill. One I specifically remember was the Honda CR-V. I believe the RAV4 did. The Subaru was about +/- 5 MPH on good sized hills, where the Niro is more like +/- 2. It's by far the best I've ever had for holding a set speed regardless of terrain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts