Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
You aren't understanding what the owners manual states.

Accelerate to speed press and release SET.

Nowhere does it state that you must release the accelerator BEFORE you set a speed. None of my other vehicles has ever worked that way either.
I have been driving for 45 years, most of them with some kind of cruise control and they all work the same...mostly.

And I have been to the dealer, they told me that they have no issue logs and nothing in Kia's database to fix it. I seriously suspect the switch on the steering wheel is bad or not making good solid contact, maybe a new switch would help, but Kia won't replace it on warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you make a video from the speed differences and show to your dealer ...

·
Registered
693 Posts

To be perfectly accurate it says:

"..release it (Set) at the desired speed. The SET indicator light in the instrument cluster will illuminate. Release the accelerator at the same time"

Are you saying that the procedure in the manual doesn't work for you? Based on what you said earlier:

I cannot even hit the SET button if my foot is pressing on the accelerator pedal.
I and others assumed you meant that you were continuing to hold the accelerator after pressing and releasing Set. That won't work. As most of us have said, we just release the accelerator and then tap set. That's how I've always done it in over 30 years and probably a dozen vehicles.

As @atc98092 said, if either of the methods above don't work for you then you may have a defective CC and should take the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Before my Subaru, I never had a car that would hold speed downhill. They would all gain speed the same as coasting in gear, just a little compression braking, but no application of the brakes.

Before I bought the Subaru, I test drove some other cars with it, and even with adaptive cruise not all would hold speed downhill. One I specifically remember was the Honda CR-V. I believe the RAV4 did. The Subaru was about +/- 5 MPH on good sized hills, where the Niro is more like +/- 2. It's by far the best I've ever had for holding a set speed regardless of terrain.
Love my smart cc. Slows auto when I approach a slower vehicle in my lane. Resumes when I signal left to pass.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
29 Posts

Nowhere does it state that you must release the accelerator BEFORE you set a speed. None of my other vehicles has ever worked that way either.
I have been driving for 45 years, most of them with some kind of cruise control and they all work the same...mostly.

And I have been to the dealer, they told me that they have no issue logs and nothing in Kia's database to fix it. I seriously suspect the switch on the steering wheel is bad or not making good solid contact, maybe a new switch would help, but Kia won't replace it on warranty.
That is what i do, i just accelerate to what speed i want and press and release SET first, than I take my foot off the accelerator and it works. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ok, here we go, I tried various methods for setting the cruise control. Note that this is with the Smart Cruise enabled. I used the digital speedo display to compare vehicle speed and resulting cruise control set point. In all cases the car was accelerating from ~56mph and I attempted to set the cruise to 60.

Here are the variations and results
  1. Foot on accelerator, press and release Set without lifting off. Result: Set speed is the speed the car was going when Set was pressed. Car continues to accelerate until you lift off the accelerator and then slows to the set point.
  2. Foot on accelerator, press and hold Set, then release both (this is what the manual says to do BTW). Result: Set speed is the speed the car was going when Set was pressed. Car continues to accelerate until you lift off the accelerator and then slows to the set point
  3. Lift off accelerator, press and release Set. Result: Set speed is the speed the car was going when Set was pressed. Car slows slightly on lift-off then recovers to the set point.
The main takeaway is that the set point is determined by when Set is pressed, not released. In all of my testing the set point was within +0/-1 mph of the speed shown on the digital speedo when I pressed Set. Nothing else mattered, I could continue accelerating, keep holding Set, or both. In all cases the set point is determined by the vehicle speed when you press the Set button.

Writing this up I realized I missed one case: Foot on accelerator, press and hold Set, release accelerator keeping Set pressed, release Set. I don't know why you would do this but I suspect the same behavior, set point is the vehicle speed when Set was pressed, car accelerates until lift off then slows to the set point. I suppose continuing to hold the Set button could cause the set point to start decreasing, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I drive roughly 80 miles a day, which is why I bought the Niro HEV. I'm used to being able to adjust the cruise control on the highway by either speeding up or slowing down. Seems basic. With he Niro I set it at say 72, it immediately slows to 70, then may recover and got to 73. If I want to speed up from say 71 to 73, I push the lever up (+) and it responds slowly, but then doesn't stay there. Maybe because it is such a low powered vehicle, it doesn't stay at a set speed. My previous VW TDi was easy to drive using just the cruise control.
From the comments made by the posters who have issues, it appears that they may not know what adaptive cruise control is. So if any of you are having issues with the cruise control not locking your speed in correctly, just read your manual section on adaptive cruise control first. Then if you still have issues, get the vehicle repaired!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I only go to and from work, my daily commute is a little over 70 miles round trip with a mixture of city, state roads, and a couple miles of highway. One of the main reasons I waited for the Touring was because of the cruise control. I get so tired of setting a speed and then get up on a car and have to adjust it down, then up again, then finally giving up and just using the pedals. With this, as soon as I get out of the city, I turn on land keep assist and set the cruise to 63 on the state road...the limit is 55 but usually the normal speed is a little over 60 so I keep it set at 63 but sometimes it never gets there because of traffic ahead but that's what I love about it. The car ahead could slow almost to a stop to make a turn and the Niro will do the same and then speed up to the set speed if possible but I've never had an issue with it keeping at the speed that I set like you are speaking of. If it's not user error, then I would definitely say there's an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also use cruise control a lot. I set it mostly for city streets of 30 to 40 mph. It reacts quickly and holds the speed. I have a problem with getting the car in EV mode and holding at speeds greater than 40-45 mph. It seems like my car wants to recharge very often and does not keep me in EV mode. Which is an issue in itself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also use cruise control a lot. I set it mostly for city streets of 30 to 40 mph. It reacts quickly and holds the speed. I have a problem with getting the car in EV mode and holding at speeds greater than 40-45 mph. It seems like my car wants to recharge very often and does not keep me in EV mode. Which is an issue in itself.
I find in the city it is very hard to keep the car in EV mode when using the cruise control. I find that it stays in EV best without using the cruise control. I accelerate a few miles per hour above the speed I want then letting up on the accelerator just a bit will let the car go into EV and then if a slight hill comes up or something that wants me to press on the accelerator to maintain speed I don't do it (like the cruise control would) and just let the car lose a few mph and let it stay in EV. If I lose enough speed I just quickly accelerate up to speed and start the process all over.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
For the most part, trying to get your HEV in EV mode is a zero sum game. It doesn't matter greatly whether it expends the excess battery energy with ICE off, or adding torque assistance to the ICE when climbing a hill. The difference is effectively zero if you are talking about highway speeds. The best bang for the buck in any electrified car is low speeds. So in fact I do take a lot of care at the end of a trip in town to keep the ICE off and keep it on the motor (last two miles typically). But honestly, even this may not make a noticeable difference over a full tank.

First year of ownership, I did try to trick it into turning the ICE off earlier on known long slight downgrades where I watch it waffling about turning the ICE off (it would always turn off, but later than I thought appropriate), but I don't bother anymore as I'm convinced it doesn't make a measurable difference to efficiency.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For the most part, trying to get your HEV in EV mode is a zero sum game. It doesn't matter greatly whether it expends the excess battery energy with ICE off, or adding torque assistance to the ICE when climbing a hill. The difference is effectively zero if you are talking about highway speeds. The best bang for the buck in any electrified car is low speeds. So in fact I do take a lot of care at the end of a trip in town to keep the ICE off and keep it on the motor (last two miles typically). But honestly, even this may not make a noticeable difference over a full tank.

First year of ownership, I did try to trick it into turning the ICE off earlier on known long slight downgrades where I watch it waffling about turning the ICE off (it would always turn off, but later than I thought appropriate), but I don't bother anymore as I'm convinced it doesn't make a measurable difference to efficiency.
Yeah your probably right, but then it takes all the SPORT out of it LOL :eek:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts