Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 2017 Niro EX Premium (Canada), for example, cruise control is set at 70 mph, I disengage the cruise control by touching the brake and slow down to 60. The Resume on the cruise control button on the steering wheel is flipped, and the speed does not resume back to 70, it just sets it to the whatever the speed was when I flipped the Resume button, so I have to accelerate back to 70 and Set the speed. It seems though that if I flip the Resume immediately after touching the brake, it does indeed Resume, but if I flip it after several seconds, which is usually the case, it does not Resume. I also found that if I press Cancel on the steering wheel rather than touch the brake, then the Resume seems to work. However, I almost always press on the brake to disengage the cruise control and would have to train myself to use the Cancel button. I've driven many different cars with cruise control and it's the first time that I see the Resume not work as expected.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
Resume is an upward press, and mine resumes as expected. If by some chance your finger moves the button down at all, they you've hit the Set function and performs as you state. My guess is your finger is bouncing slightly when you hit the button and it's going downward just enough to switch it to Set.

·
Super Moderator
566 Posts
I have found the same problem with the cruise control not working as one would think. I have a Canadain model so it might have something to do with the firmware code in Canada. I have found on mine that you can set the cruise to a certain speed but if you accelerate to drive around someone (on a dual lane highway), then take your foot off the gas, the cruise can reset what speed it returns to. Sometimes it is slower than what it was before the acceleration, other times it is higher. I have also had the same experience you had with when you hit the break. I found that if you are going up-hill, it will choose a lower speed. If you are going downhill it will work fine. I just got use to pre-accelerating to around the correct speed before hitting resume (as that helps to stop the engine from doing an insane rev up to speed), and after hitting resume, you have to slowly release the accelerator till you feel it take over. Just given into it being a Kia Niro'ism.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I struggled with this too, at first. Resume on the Niro seems to be in the opposite direction that I had become accustomed to with previous cars. Also, it depends on how long you hold the button: if you flick it quickly, it resumes, but if you hold it then it goes into accelerate or decelerate mode: you can watch the set speed change on the dashboard if you hold it for more than a second or so. I had a similar experience on a rental car last year (Toyota) so it seems to be a new thing that is not unique to Kia.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
you can watch the set speed change on the dashboard if you hold it for more than a second or so.
The first time I did this as a new owner, I was passing a car on a two lane road and wanted to do it drive by wire (or thumb) in cruise control. Car accelerated fine, passed the car, and kept going and going. Looked at the display and the set speed was set for 90 mph! My thought process was that it would accelerate as long as I was holding it and set the new speed when I stopped. Now I know that a long hold increases speed by 5 mph by about every one second after it gets started. A single flick for 1 mph.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Worst cruise control of any vehicle I have ever owned. It is truly maddening how something so simple is so far out of the grasp of Kia engineers.

Mine is +/- 5 mph, sometimes, other times it works correctly.
Sometimes hitting the "+" will completely floor the accelerator, maxing out the power gauge for half a second, other times it might take 8 or 10 presses of the "+" to move up 1 mph.
Sometimes hitting "-" does absolutely nothing, and to slow down, I must cancel cruise control, other times it will shut cruise off completely.

It is a real mess, with the typical dealer response of...they all do that...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Do you guys that have problems have the "adaptive" cruise control or the regular cruise control? We just came back from a trip up and down the east coast and have not had any problems. Always worked as expected. We have regular cruise control.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I do agree that CC behavior is inconsistent, not to the extent Griswald is experiencing, but still. Most of the time when I change the setting to higher mph, it accelerates slowly. But not always. For reference, I only use standard cruise control as I dislike the behavior of adaptive CC (I knew I would before purchasing).

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
Do you guys that have problems have the "adaptive" cruise control or the regular cruise control? We just came back from a trip up and down the east coast and have not had any problems. Always worked as expected. We have regular cruise control.
This is the second car I've had with adaptive cruise, the other being a Subaru Outback. I find the Niro is far smoother with braking and accelerating compared to the Outback, and also holds the speed closer to what is set. The Outback might reach close to 5 MPH over before hitting the brakes, and then drop 3-4 MPH under the setting. I believe it's because the Niro uses regen to control the speed, rather than the mechanical brakes. Sometimes the radar and/or camera sees something that they believe needs to be adjusted for, where a human driver will recognize it's a car in the turn lane, or something else that isn't a factor for the direction traveled. But overall I think Kia has done a bit better than Subaru in that respect.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
The holding the + for a few seconds thing to increase speed in increments of 5mph isn’t a Kia thing. Most European makes have this functionality too.
I don't doubt it, but I've only ever had one car previously with CC, an American brand. If I recall correctly, holding the increase speed on the CC stalk did just that as long as I held it and releasing it set it to current speed. I drove that car mostly in CC as well.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
My previous cars with CC that wasn't adaptive cruise, from what I recall holding the + button would accelerate until the button was released, then set the current speed as the assigned speed. A quick press was usually from 1-3 MPH increase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have found the same problem with the cruise control not working as one would think. I have a Canadain model so it might have something to do with the firmware code in Canada. I have found on mine that you can set the cruise to a certain speed but if you accelerate to drive around someone (on a dual lane highway), then take your foot off the gas, the cruise can reset what speed it returns to. Sometimes it is slower than what it was before the acceleration, other times it is higher. I have also had the same experience you had with when you hit the break. I found that if you are going up-hill, it will choose a lower speed. If you are going downhill it will work fine. I just got use to pre-accelerating to around the correct speed before hitting resume (as that helps to stop the engine from doing an insane rev up to speed), and after hitting resume, you have to slowly release the accelerator till you feel it take over. Just given into it being a Kia Niro'ism.
I agree with you that this is a design flaw with the cruise control. I don’t use the resume function anymore. If I disengage the cruise control, I simply accelerate back to the desire speed and reset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Worst cruise control of any vehicle I have ever owned. It is truly maddening how something so simple is so far out of the grasp of Kia engineers.

Mine is +/- 5 mph, sometimes, other times it works correctly.
Sometimes hitting the "+" will completely floor the accelerator, maxing out the power gauge for half a second, other times it might take 8 or 10 presses of the "+" to move up 1 mph.
Sometimes hitting "-" does absolutely nothing, and to slow down, I must cancel cruise control, other times it will shut cruise off completely.

It is a real mess, with the typical dealer response of...they all do that...
That pretty much describes my situation as well. I pretty much don’t use the set and resume to adjust speed anymore. I just brake and accelerate as required and SET the desired speed when it is reached.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The issue that I described is with regular cruise control.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have no trouble with setting or resuming speed in regular CC. My sole complaint would be inconsistent acceleration when resuming or increasing set speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with you that this is a design flaw with the cruise control. I don’t use the resume function anymore. If I disengage the cruise control, I simply accelerate back to the desire speed and reset.
I have a launch addition 2017 and the cruise resume function is erratic. If I cancel the cruise control by stepping on the brake and resume in less that ten seconds, the cruise goes to its set speed. But if I wait longer than 10 seconds the cruise forgets the set speed and the resume function resumes at the current speed. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they confirmed the problem, but said that they tested another Niro and it did the same thing so they feel that it is normal!!! I did not to pursue it because I felt that I would just continue to get a run around. Very dissapointed with the dealer. By the way, I have regular cruise, not the smart (radar) cruise.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a launch addition 2017 and the cruise resume function is erratic. If I cancel the cruise control by stepping on the brake and resume in less that ten seconds, the cruise goes to its set speed. But if I wait longer than 10 seconds the cruise forgets the set speed and the resume function resumes at the current speed. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they confirmed the problem, but said that they tested another Niro and it did the same thing so they feel that it is normal!!! I did not to pursue it because I felt that I would just continue to get a run around. Very dissapointed with the dealer. By the way, I have regular cruise, not the smart (radar) cruise.
What do you expect the dealership to do? They confirmed that it was functioning as designed. What else should they do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 EV. The cruise control works fine but no longer displays the speed it is set to - only see ---. Any ideas how to change this?

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
150 Posts
Have you done the latest update? Or which do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts