Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I remember Dad installing a passenger side mirror on my Mom's brand new 1963 Dodge Dart. Of course, back then even the heater was an option on the lower models. :D

From what I've seen, the law has one of two options: either the interior mirror looking out the rear window, or a passenger side exterior mirror. But every state has their own laws, and I haven't read every one. I think most manufacturers put mirrors on both sides mostly for the look, keeping it symmetric.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is insurance coverage requirements. I wonder if an insurer could deny coverage in an accident based on the fact that you had removed a factory safety feature. For example, if someone sideswipes you and the insurer claims you could have seen them if the mirror was still there...

I have the same thought about people who have removed the noisemaker that sounds at low speeds. If you hit a pedestrian and they say they couldn't hear you, you could be in trouble.

I actually worry more about insurance than the legal aspect. In the unlikely event a cop noticed and decided to write you up, at worst you get a fix-it ticket that costs you a few bucks. If your insurance company denies coverage in an accident, you could be in for a world of hurt. Neither is particularly likely, but the risk reward seems not so great.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Come on, you are not really worried about insurance. Removing a mirror on your own car never crossed your mind! I'm a lot more worried about being shot by a cop, or having a wreck than some insurance adjuster making a bogus claim about lack of a non legally required mirror.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Come on, you are not really worried about insurance. Removing a mirror on your own car never crossed your mind! I'm a lot more worried about being shot by a cop, or having a wreck than some insurance adjuster making a bogus claim about lack of a non legally required mirror.
Actually, it has occurred to me, several times over the years. I've been driving efficient cars and trying to improve my mileage since at least 2005. My preferred solution would be to remove the mirrors and install cameras. That would be pretty cool. But there are always compromises. The Audi side view camera implementation looks terrible with the screens so low in the door that they're actually harder to see than conventional mirrors (picture below). That defeats the purpose in my mind.

I've driven several cars without passenger side mirrors over the years. I'm not a fan. Properly adjusted, side and rear view mirrors can almost always eliminate blind spots. The loss of visibility from removing one of them is not worth the marginal increase in mileage to me.

On the other hand, having a wreck and the aftermath is the point of this discussion. I've been driving for 30+ years, averaging 25,000 miles / year. In that time I've been involved in 8 insurable incidents while driving, 2 my fault, the rest not. I've had to dispute coverage and compensation in 4 of them. Insurance companies will take any opportunity to deny liability. I'm not interested in making their job easier. As always, YMMV.

And, seriously, shot by cop? There have been 717 fatal police shootings so far in 2019 in the USA (source). For comparison there are on average 40,000 fatal car accidents per year in the US alone. If you're worried about being shot by a cop you're either a career criminal or paranoid.

Exit questions: How many wrecks on the highway are due to someone clipping a car next to them that they didn't see? Why did manufacturers start putting mirrors on the passenger side? Has there been a significant reduction in sideswipe collisions since passenger side mirrors have become commonplace? How do you compare the value of a small decrease in safety vs a small increase in efficiency?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the trade is not worth it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I started this thread, and it certainly wasn't about insurance liability. I mentioned being far more worried about wrecks than insurance adjusters. I've been hassled by police on a number of occasions and arrested without cause and for people of color, being shot by police is not paranoia. If you feel safer with a passenger side mirror, fine, but why are you fussing at me? I've not made any judgments about you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I started this thread, and it certainly wasn't about insurance liability. I mentioned being far more worried about wrecks than insurance adjusters. I've been hassled by police on a number of occasions and arrested without cause and for people of color, being shot by police is not paranoia. If you feel safer with a passenger side mirror, fine, but why are you fussing at me? I've not made any judgments about you.
Because it's the internet. The whole purpose is to discuss and exchange ideas (or argue pointlessly if you prefer). This thread wasn't about legality either until it was, the nature of threads is to deviate from the OP over time. There's probably a paper that could be written about it. :nerd:

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what you've done to your car to make it perfect for you. That's awesome. I also love the fact that we can talk about different options and people can decide for themselves if they want make similar mods. That's the whole point of this forum isn't it? :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts