·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a new Kia Niro PHEV. I was not happy with the appearance of the "satin finish chrome" grill surround, so I contracted with my favorite detailer to apply a turquoise wrap that closely matches the color of the bumperettes on the PHEV. I'm thinking of doing more, but for now have a subtle touch on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is certainly cool! Can you give us an idea of how much this costs? How long do you think it will last? Detailers are the place to go for wraps? I was wondering who did them.

My car is grey and I thought there would be a good chance I'd regret the choice. If I had to go back, I think I'd do the blue, red, or black instead. I was interested in the emblems to add a splash of color, and if costs are reasonable, I'll try some wrap accents. The horizontal black door trim might be cool place to add a wrap, but I suppose that is asking for trouble with potential for damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Other than wheels and window tint, I haven't seen much on customizing. Here's one idea, I found is an OEM alternative to the Kia logo. Perhaps too similar to the Mazda and Lexus logo, but it will certainly make most wonder what brand of car you have. Certainly looks more elegant (the pix look round, but they are a perfect oval replacement fit.
That Flying/ Broken "K" design was around for a very long time, longer than the Lexus and Mazda.....................

·
Registered
20 Posts
What one spends to provide personal satisfaction is a controversial subject for some. My complete costs were about $500, which included a full detail and spray wax. I wasn't ready to pay another $800 for ceramic coating. However, I didn't get any dealer added extras for the exterior, and they wanted $1200 for their package which included pin striping and paint sealant. So I paid less for something I think is better.

The wrap materials are supposed to be fairly weather resistant, and can be coated and waxed along with the rest of the car. I thought about the side protective molding too, but decided to wait.

Check out Velocity Channel's "Inside West Coast Customs". They did two Kia's for the SEMA automotive show. They used some coatings on the trim pieces too. If you can't find it, Google it and you should find some images of the two models.

I also know an air-brush artist that does pin-striping and "scrimshaw", and that's also something I'm thinking of for the front hood and hatch door. But again, I'm gong to wait a bit before investing more in the car.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some links for that but I'm not really familiar with the Stinger. So I cannot tell what they did.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sema/west-coast-customs-modified-kia-stinger

$500 is probably a bit too pricey for me, but I am going to explore it further. I like the idea of highlights a lot though. I know a guy who does pin striping but I haven't talked to him. I cannot visualize what he might do that I would like on the Niro.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Flying/ Broken "K" design was around for a very long time, longer than the Lexus and Mazda.....................
How to spot Kia from afar: The evolution of the Kia face

The best resource I've been able to find says the K logo was first used in 1994 for the Korea market only (image below) and is no longer used there either. The K logo in this thread's first post is different from that one and was developed by aftermarket companies in Korea, not Kia. The Lexus logo was first sold on a car in 1989. Mazda's current logo came later in 1998.

So this aftermarket logo isn't really that authentic, and cannot claim to have been around longer than two more familiar logos on Mazda and Lexus cars, but still planning on using it just for a smidge of customization and a splash of color.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts