Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While backing into my garage last night, I banged the driver side mirror and now it will not retract. Took it to the Kia dealer today where I leased it, to find that it will cost $995 to replace. Two days for the mirror assembly to arrive, one day to paint it (they come unpainted), then next Thursday to install it. It happened because my garage gate width was compromised when we built the building 33 years ago with a panel on one side encroaching on the opening. I'm going to get a new gate made to eliminate that panel to have full width. I actually damaged my Pontiac Montana minivan back right corner last year, which prompted me to replace the gate, but my gate company drug their feet for months, to this end. So I'm going to use another company.

• Sad
Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
2022 Niro EV EX Premium
15 Posts
Bummer. I did the very same thing with my Chevy Bolt in 2020, backing out of the parking garage after my first pandemic doctor’s checkup. I was so rattled by the whole exposure to the world thing that I ignored the warning beep when my car was trying to tell me not to run into that concrete pillar.

That repair was a good deal cheaper, I believe—about $500. I’m going to make sure not to do the same thing with my Niro EV.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finally had the mirror replaced. Took almost two weeks to get the mirror and over a week for them to paint it, service said it would be 5 days, so much for that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a couple of old Camrys (2003, 2004). The side-view mirrors of those don't even manually swing back. These cars were made in abundant quantities, and they are so unbelievably reliable that tens of thousands in that series (2002-06) remain on the road today. Because of this, aftermarket parts are generally easy to get. The mirrors can be purchased on ebay and Amazon for around $30 including shipping, and some of those even say they're assembled in the USA. Oh yeah, and it takes about 10 minutes to change one (I leave 'em in stock black - I don't paint them).

I think about this often when contemplating what out-of-warranty repairs will cost for my Niro EV. I don't think I've seen six other Niros - any year or configuration - on the road since I bought the car late last year, while those old Camrys are all over the place.

BTW while I really like driving the Niro (I always mention at this point: despite the Niro's couple of technical quirks), the Camrys are still really nice to drive.

·
Registered
2022 Niro EV EX Premium
15 Posts
Well, to be fair, the Niro—of any kind at all—has only been on the road since the 2017 model year. The mid-size Camry has been around since 1991, thirty years. So, of course you are going to see more Camrys on the road than Niros.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
Camry is one of Toyota’s highest volume sales vehicles in the US around 300,000-400,000 cars per year. Niro sales in the US range from 17,000-28,000. That may be the reason that aftermarket parts are so prevalent—much bigger market for the Toyotas.

My local dealership is the reason why I only have purchased one Toyota (yes it was a Camry, great car, creepy service department).

·
Registered
168 Posts
That and the fact that as noted, so many of those Camrys are still on the road coz of their overall build quality.

Regarding your dealer: Alas, a good many of us are neither thrilled with car dealers nor repair shops. When you find a good one i.e. reasonably priced and not lying through their teeth, it's generally cause for celebration.

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
537 Posts
Dang., such a bother! That is such a common problem with mirrors, especially in older homes with narrow garages. I imagine your insurance will cover that.
I see Niros almost daily but that's probably just Seattle.
You might be able to find a mirror, even with matching paint in a wrecking yard. A quick Google search turned up several for < $200. Then, if you are the DIY type, you could paint it with a rattle can & replace it yourself. But failure to get a perfect paint job might be noticed when you turn the car in. Or you could get a used mire and take it to a local body shop for painting & replacement. Around here body shops charge $60-$80 / hr for labor where as dealers are generally $120+ / hr.
Obviously its is easier to go with the dealer if you can handle the wallet hit

Reactions: vangone
1 - 9 of 9 Posts