Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Niro today, so I haven't had a chance to investigate...but I have a Dash Cam that I will eventually want to install. It has a suction mount for the windshield. Wondering what others have done for powering it (5v USB connector) and where and how to run the wiring.
-Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too am looking for any suggestions on wiring, I have purchased Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Fuse Holder as well as a
Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit specific to my model cam. I will be hard-wiring my radar detector at the same time. The best thought yet is to run along front headliner and down the A-post and then to fuse box on drivers side. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a Garmin model 20, I ran the wire across the top of the windshield, down the drivers A piller, and then under the dash to the cig lighter plug in the center. One of the few places I could find power that switches off when you hut the car down! The wire is dressed so you don't see it, and it works perfectly!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
windsheild camera

i have a new 2018 niro and found that wiring my camera was the same as in my old rav4. wire from the windshield to the door post then down and under the glove box.
i am using my cigarette lighter for my power. what was not normal was the camera is behind the mirror. only the bottom of the camera is showing. this is so i know it is on.
the camera has a 32 gig memory and a additional 32 gig memory card. i clear all files once a month. i have my camera set after one minute to record but not display. having it behind the mirror puts it in a good line of sight for on coming traffic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Completed hard-wiring both dash cam and radar detector this week. Used Fuse TAP Adapters in driver side fuse block. I found several fuse spaces marked as spare that supply power only when vehicle on. I look at this method as the safest and cleanest way to hard-wire electronics. Plenty of space along front headliner and down the A-post to run wires. A post (front pillar trim), bit of a pain to realign after install, but not too bad.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Dash camera and radar detector both under or behind mirror? No concerns about smash and grab thefts or traffic stops? What kind of radar detector are you using?

·
Registered
68 Posts
at work, we have installed lidars for these self driving cars (so company's can experiment) and we discovered that they set off radar detectors, so as more and more self driving cars show up on the roads, your radar detector will always be going off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both are removable from mounts

Dash camera and radar detector both under or behind mirror? No concerns about smash and grab thefts or traffic stops? What kind of radar detector are you using?
The dash cam is attached to bottom of mirror and radar detector is upper driver side windshield. Both are removable from mounts and fortunately I live in the SE where radar detectors are legal. I am using an old (10+ years) Beltronics Vector 955 Radar Laser Detector that still works great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Intersting!!!!!

at work, we have installed lidars for these self driving cars (so company's can experiment) and we discovered that they set off radar detectors, so as more and more self driving cars show up on the roads, your radar detector will always be going off
I guess you are referring to Lidar (light detection аnd ranging). It makes sense that they would set off detectors. I know that some of the newer detectors will signal LIDAR use. Interesting subject for research when I get the time. Thank you for your contribution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts