Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do people feel about feel about soldering a 12v-5v dc-dc converter into the overhead console lighting for a dash cam? It seems like a much easier job than removing panels and routing new cables to the fuse board. I still haven't opened it to get a multimeter on it yet but I can't see it being a problem. Has anyone done this? Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
485 Posts
Been there...done that.

The LED circuit does not have any extra capacity, so when the actual light is on, the camera will drain its internal battery and reset. I had to disable the light for my camera to function.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I've probably been a bit naive in thinking that there would be a fused but unregulated supply up there. Does anyone know what is actually run in that area? From a non automotive background it would seem sensible that stuff like that would already be there in wiring looms? Cheers, Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did it via console lighting:

So I can use the original power cable. BUT my dashcam has a setting, that it will switch off, if the voltage goes below 12V!
The power is so low, that it has no influence on the fuse.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used the 12V for the console light, it gets power, when I start the car and switches off after a moment, when I switch off my car (the same way, that the auto lighting on/off is working).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have the originals ... may be this one shows a little bit more the connection points:

The gadget is a standard cigarette lighter so I can use the original connection cable from the dash cam, it's rolled up in the box.
Be careful with the two screws in the headlight unit, they can disappear easy in the roof ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts