Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kia Niro EX W/Tech Package. I bought the unit new and with only a couple thousand miles on it, I would get a pretty strong fuel burning smell from the exhaust. At 7,500 miles or so, I sent my oil in to be tested with Blackstone labs. They found 3.3% of the oil was fuel. Because the oil had fuel, it lowered my oil viscosity. Luckily, I was using a 5W/30 (I had changed it at like 1000 miles) but it made the oil like. 5W/20. (A lot of people say their testing method does not account for all the fuel so I was probably at 5% or higher.). I brought this up with Kia and the dealer, they said we would monitor for now but probably seals/gaskets sealing. I noticed that at my 15K mark, the oil dipstick was past the "F" mark. I sent my oil in again, I once again had fuel in the oil. I again brought this up with Kia and the dealer. They went back/fourth but wanted to continue to monitor since the fuel went down to 2% per the testing (Still a bad amount.).
I just did my oil change at 22,500 and I again had fuel in the oil. The oil also had a unique smell of fuel when I changed it so I got with the Service manager, sent him all of my reports and said this needs to stop. It's affecting the oil viscosity and can cause damage down the road. They have had the Niro for a few days (Kia got me a rental for free) and today they told me they have been on conference calls with Kia engineers, techs etc. They had determined that the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) was the issue and they have seen other Niro's with this issue around the nation. They are replacing the HPFP and the connecting pressure rods/lines. I should have it back on Thursday and once I get 7,500 miles on that oil, I will report back what I find.

Just an FYI for anyone who has experienced this issue. Get your oil testing with Blackstone or another testing lab. It's proof in hand and if you need help doing that, let me know.
Ron
Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 2.03.56 PM.png

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's odd, my 2018 Kia Niro PHEV LX has a pressurized fuel tank instead of a fuel pump. It's described in the Owner's Manual. It's done this way to save weight. Are you sure you have a fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
You do have a fuel pump. Can't think of a car that hasn't had one in the last umpteen years (probably a hundred years). The Niro has direct fuel injection (like a diesel engine) so requires a very high pressure injection system to overcome the pressures in the compression cylinder.

Pressurized fuel tanks are not really for fuel delivery but I suppose they help prime the fuel pump. Primary reason for pressurized fuel tanks is to help control emissions.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's odd, my 2018 Kia Niro PHEV LX has a pressurized fuel tank instead of a fuel pump. It's described in the Owner's Manual. It's done this way to save weight. Are you sure you have a fuel pump?
The Niro's ICE is a direct injection design. That means high rail pressure. That means a high pressure fuel pump. Described here. These are almost always mechanically driven as opposed to electric due to the high loads. That means they need lubrication, that means engine oil, which means there is a chance for leakage. Given that the high pressure fluid is the fuel the likelihood is that you end up with gasoline in the oil.

Also, what @yticolev said.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
As far as I can recall, most of those owners who had high fuel content in their oil got their injectors replaced. Think I might have read about some fuel pump replacements as well.

·
Registered
652 Posts
As far as I can recall, most of those owners who had high fuel content in their oil got their injectors replaced. Think I might have read about some fuel pump replacements as well.
Yeah, if the rail pressure stays high after shut off and the injectors are leaky then you would end up with fuel in the cylinders which would end up in the oil. A leaky pump is the other possible culprit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are correct, I stand corrected. I checked further and there is a low pressure system off the pressurized fuel tank and a high pressure system fed off the electric in-tank fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Hear that whirr every time you open your driver's door? Not sure, but can't think of what it could be except an electrically driven fuel pump.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really need to send an oil sample off for testing. Checked the oil the other day and it was over the full mark by a good bit. The oil change will be due within 2 weeks so I need to get on the ball.

BTW, my 2018 HEV has almost 37,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hear that whirr every time you open your driver's door? Not sure, but can't think of what it could be except an electrically driven fuel pump.
I'm pretty sure that the whirr that happens when I open the driver's door is actually the brake system pressurizing.

In conventional cars, I've been able to hear the fuel pump running when I go to start the car, but in the Niro, I'm usually driving on electric when the ICE starts and the road noise drowns it out. But I've heard it running a couple of times late at night in my garage, for reasons that I can't imagine. It sounds like it's coming from under the car, just inside from the driver's side wheel. But I think it's actually on top of the tank, so maybe if I pulled up the back seat when I heard it, I would hear it even better there. The sound I've heard is clearly NOT coming from the battery compartment.

I do recall reading one or two reports on this forum of Kia replacing the high pressure pump because of fuel leaks. It is mechanical and mounted on the engine. I wonder how many of them are faulty.

In theory, having a low pressure and a high pressure pump is an improved design, relative to the early days of fuel injection. My 1976 Audi had an electric pump adjacent to the tank that pressurized the fuel lines to 110 pounds! I only know that because when the pump got old and pressure dropped to 98 pounds on a hot day, the injectors would stop working and the car would die. Imagine driving a 10 year old car in the snow belt/salt belt with rusty fuel lines and 110 pounds of pressurized fuel running through them.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the whirr that happens when I open the driver's door is actually the brake system pressurizing.
You are probably right. I hear a similar noise when I turn my motorcycle on and I know that is the fuel pump. Brakes are fully manual, no power assist.

That said, I don't get the reason for the noise from any source when opening the door. What's the point, whether brakes or fuel pump, to start without the car being on?

·
Registered
417 Posts
There's a nice description of the braking logic here: Kia Niro : Description and operation : AHB(Active Hydraulic Boost) System

I think the reason that the braking system pressurizes when you open the door is that the first thing you're supposed to do to start the car is put your foot on the brake pedal, and they would prefer that the primary (pressurized) system be working when you do that, rather than relying on the mechanical backup system. Personally, I'd prefer the latter, because it would reassure me that the backup system is working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this last year and they replaced the HP fuel pump after the dealer had the car for two weeks. At this time it again smells like there is gas in the oil and the level of the oil is higher then full.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
49 Posts
I have a 2018 Kia Niro EX W/Tech Package. I bought the unit new and with only a couple thousand miles on it, I would get a pretty strong fuel burning smell from the exhaust. At 7,500 miles or so, I sent my oil in to be tested with Blackstone labs. They found 3.3% of the oil was fuel. Because the oil had fuel, it lowered my oil viscosity. Luckily, I was using a 5W/30 (I had changed it at like 1000 miles) but it made the oil like. 5W/20. (A lot of people say their testing method does not account for all the fuel so I was probably at 5% or higher.). I brought this up with Kia and the dealer, they said we would monitor for now but probably seals/gaskets sealing. I noticed that at my 15K mark, the oil dipstick was past the "F" mark. I sent my oil in again, I once again had fuel in the oil. I again brought this up with Kia and the dealer. They went back/fourth but wanted to continue to monitor since the fuel went down to 2% per the testing (Still a bad amount.).
I just did my oil change at 22,500 and I again had fuel in the oil. The oil also had a unique smell of fuel when I changed it so I got with the Service manager, sent him all of my reports and said this needs to stop. It's affecting the oil viscosity and can cause damage down the road. They have had the Niro for a few days (Kia got me a rental for free) and today they told me they have been on conference calls with Kia engineers, techs etc. They had determined that the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) was the issue and they have seen other Niro's with this issue around the nation. They are replacing the HPFP and the connecting pressure rods/lines. I should have it back on Thursday and once I get 7,500 miles on that oil, I will report back what I find.

Just an FYI for anyone who has experienced this issue. Get your oil testing with Blackstone or another testing lab. It's proof in hand and if you need help doing that, let me know.
Ron View attachment 6190
I haven’t had this problem. It could be a defect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts