Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hate when dealerships do that, how they add on special dealership accessories and junk, and try to tack it on to the final car price.
Pinstripes (seriously, who still likes a pinstripe?), paint protection, tint, mud flaps, door guards, I've seen it all.

The worst of them all is "nitrogen filled tires". How the heck can you prove they filled the tires with nitrogen???? And why would I pay extra for that?

·
Registered
44 Posts
We paid about $2500 less than MSRP... I am not a haggler but I will recommend folks get pricing from multiple dealers and then bring your numbers to the table. It helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As of yesterday, I've had my Niro for one month. So far, I am totally satisfied with the purchase and the dealer: Battlefield Kia in Gettysburg, PA. I live in Maryland but could not find a dealer in the whole state that had what I wanted...a Touring w/tech pkg. in deep cerulean and charcoal trim. I was disappointed with my local dealer who tried to get one from Delaware but that didn't work out. So I went online and found the car in Gettysburg. I worked out the numbers on the phone and they matched the offer for my trade so I drove up the next day. When I got there, the Niro was being prepped for delivery. Everything was just as promised...no surprises. There were no dealer markups or added charges. I paid about $2400 below MSRP and took the 0% financing offer. The salesman, manager and staff couldn't have been more friendly. I've bought a lot of cars in 46 years of driving and I can say without a doubt this was the easiest and most stress free car purchase I've ever made! On top of that, it was a beautiful day so I had a very pleasant drive home (about 2 hours using mostly back roads) which gave me plenty of time to get used to the Niro. After a month and 1600 miles, I'm averaging 47 mpg (half city, half highway). One time the readout hit 50 (this is the touring model)! Can't say enough good things about the Niro and the folks at Battlefield Kia...it was worth the trip!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We were fortunate in that we had about 8 different dealers to choose from in SoCal - all of them had either 1 or 2 of the exact model/trim/color we wanted. I got VINs and stock#s beforehand, matched Kia's inventory to the dealer's inventory, did the pricing research, used KBB and Truecar, and we ended up paying what we wanted to pay because we had a lot of choice and were able to use that as leverage.

Unfortunately we had to fight for our pricing, and I had to be a little bit of a harass, and the sales guys and managers at this dealer were using every high pressure sales tactic in the book, in addition to trying to add-in all kinds of stuff including an entire dealer package that they invented, that they claim was auto-installed on every car on the lot, which added $2500 to the price with no choice to opt out. I refused that, refused everything else, and told them they could either meet my price or I would walk because there were 7 other dealers with 9 other identical Niros on their lots within driving distance.

A sales person, then a manager, then a branch manager later, and we paid what I wanted to pay for it, which was about $4500 under msrp. It was a fight though, and they were kicking and screaming the whole way. Not a pleasant experience, but we didn't overpay, which is the most important part. I imagine it would have been a more pleasant experience if I had just smiled and paid what they were asking, but I don't enjoy being screwed any more than anybody else.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
we paid what I wanted to pay for it, which was about $4500 under msrp.

Good for you, Up here in Canada, it's the MSPR price.. and it's KIa Canada that rules this part for now. The reason is because the Niro's are VERY rare into the dealer's yard.! So rare that i had to wait 2 more week's to just have my delivery on this friday.. MY Niro was the only one on the lot. They said they had too keep it so other people can see the car, sit in it.. and order one.. i have told the sales rep to not make ANY test drive with it.. i know the millage on it.! and if it has changed on friday, i will ask for a compensation.! ;)

BUT, for compesation, they gived me more $$ in exchange for my 2013 Rio5.. 3500$ (Can$) more than the listed used car price. It is the only way dealers can manage a better deal over here.. and oil changes for life .. hahaha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, interesting. Yeah I'm not sure what Niro inventory is like in other part of the US or Canada, but here in So Cal we are FLOODED with Niros. Every dealer here, even smaller ones, have 6-7 Niros on the lot, if not more. In fact when we started checking them out, we went to a dealer that had a MARKUP on them. $5,000 markup on every Niro, for no reason. And guess what? All of them were 2017 models, and they had all been sitting so long all of their batteries were dead.

Dear dealers: Nobody is paying your ridiculous markup. :D But yeah, come down to SoCal if you want to see a plethora of Niros. I'm grateful for the wealth of model because that's what allowed me to pay what I wanted.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh, interesting. Yeah I'm not sure what Niro inventory is like in other part of the US or Canada, but here in So Cal we are FLOODED with Niros. Every dealer here, even smaller ones, have 6-7 Niros on the lot, if not more. In fact when we started checking them out, we went to a dealer that had a MARKUP on them. $5,000 markup on every Niro, for no reason. And guess what? All of them were 2017 models, and they had all been sitting so long all of their batteries were dead.

Dear dealers: Nobody is paying your ridiculous markup. :D But yeah, come down to SoCal if you want to see a plethora of Niros. I'm grateful for the wealth of model because that's what allowed me to pay what I wanted.
I'm not surprised, I think CA is Toyota Prius territory culturally. Over here on the East Coast Niros sell pretty well, as do IONIQs. I see quite a few IONIQs on the road up here, and it's near impossible to get PHEV Niros. Regular Niros are easier, but still no problem selling them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a great experience buying my plug-in from Wagner Kia in Shrewsbury Mass. They didn't try to upsell anything except a very soft sell on an extended warranty. Whole thing took about an hour including a test drive, very easy, low pressure. I didn't bargain much, just asked them to match the same price that two other local dealers had given, and they did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
xaqtly do you mind me asking what you paid. We are looking to get one soon an LX with advanced tech package. Thanks!
We are also in so cal and it would be nice to know what dealership you went to.
Sure - we paid $28,500 for a Niro EX w/Premium package, Metal Stream gray. MSRP was somewhere in the $32,500 range, almost $35000 with the dealer-added security/tint package added to it. We bought it from Kia of Orange, which is the closest dealer to where we live. Our price was before taxes, not out the door.

Kia of Orange is a very small, very cramped dealer, and they use very high pressure sales tactics and will try to add in a bunch of dealer-driven options to get you to pay more. I don't recommend them, but if you want to buy from them they will probably meet your price if you push back hard enough, and maybe hit them at the end of the month because they need to meet their quotas and will be more willing to deal. All that being said, the finance guys were very nice, as was our salesperson - we only really got the grief and the high pressure from the managers.

Kia of Garden Grove is the one that had something like 8 2017 Niros with $5k markups sitting on their lot, all with dead batteries. I imagine they would cut you a **** of a deal on one of those, at this point. They're also a pretty small, cramped dealer.

Kia of Cerritos was a very large, very nice dealer. They also had $4k markups on their Niros for some reason. But they're a considerably nicer dealer than the first two, for whatever that's worth. Obviously don't ever pay a markup. SoCal is flooded with Niros. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kia of Garden Grove is the one that had something like 8 2017 Niros with $5k markups sitting on their lot, all with dead batteries. I imagine they would cut you a **** of a deal on one of those, at this point. They're also a pretty small, cramped dealer.
What do you mean by dead batteries? How can they sell them like that?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you mean by dead batteries? How can they sell them like that?
Dead as a doornail. We couldn't use the key fobs to open any of the doors, they had no power. I mean they just need a jump and time to charge back up, but it shows how long they've been sitting on the lot. There's nothing wrong with them per se, they just need a little maintenance. But since they're 2017 models they will have to sell them well below original MSRP to get them off the lot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dead as a doornail. We couldn't use the key fobs to open any of the doors, they had no power. I mean they just need a jump and time to charge back up, but it shows how long they've been sitting on the lot. There's nothing wrong with them per se, they just need a little maintenance. But since they're 2017 models they will have to sell them well below original MSRP to get them off the lot.
How exactly would you jump it when it doesn't have a 12v battery? Genuinely curious here, I figured they couldnt jump or be jumped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How exactly would you jump it when it doesn't have a 12v battery? Genuinely curious here, I figured they couldnt jump or be jumped.
I had to google it, but here:

Emergency Starting
Before Jump Starting
1. If the vehicle appears to have a dead battery, first press the 12V Battery Reset button (A). Then immediately start the vehicle by pressing the brake and turning the ignition on or pressing the Engine Start/Stop button.
2. If the vehicle does not start after completing the above steps, then jump start the vehicle (as described below).
Jump Starting
Do not attempt to jump start the high voltage battery, it cannot be jump started. In case of full discharge of the high voltage battery, the vehicle must be towed as mentioned on the previous page.
In case the 12V auxiliary battery is discharged, connect a starting device to the jump terminal in the engine room as you would any 12V battery (see image). Refer to “Emergency Starting” of Owner’s Manual for additional information. Connect jumper cables in numerical order and disconnect in reverse order.

Electrocution Risk
Do not attempt to jump start the Niro high voltage battery.
Kia Niro Emergency Rescue Guide

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The car cannot function without the 12 V system - which sends commands to the high voltage system. "Jumping" allows your car to "turn on". I've run the 12 V battery down once due to a malfunctioning OBD device, the recharge button on the dash refilled the 12 V (effectively jumping it) fine allowing me to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dyer Kia in Lake Wales, FL will take a $6000 down payment on a 4600 mile demonstrator 2017 FE selling for $21000. Your payment will be $340 per month at 72 months and final payback, with the down payment, will be over $29000...for an untitled used FE. Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if the OP is still monitoring the thread and/or has already bought the desired Niro, but considering he is in AZ, he might consider Santa Fe Kia in NM. Best new car buying experience in my long life. Truly laid back sales man and more surprisingly, a laid back sales manager. No ridiculous add ons like nitrogen air like they had at the Albuquerque dealer. MSRP - $1500 rebate - another $1000 haggling = $31,300 2019 PHEV EX. Nice November deal especially considering I get another $5k back on the tax credit in about 4 months.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I saw this thread come up and thought I would add my experience.

I would encourage anyone buying a new vehicle to try a reputable new car buying service. There are many available. We used Edmond's new car buying service.

The service tells you what the Dealer price is for the car and what is a fair price to pay for it- then you list the exact vehicle you want with your contact information- Then Dealers contact you with bids for your business.

You are in charge and you will control all discussions and interactions -not the Dealer.

A Dealer participating in the Edmond's process must honor their internet submitted price or they are barred from the service.

If you decide to accept a Dealers bid simply print out the bid pay the agreed price and drive your car away.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts