Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2020 Kia Niro EV EX Premium for two weeks and then I was hit by a deer on 28 November 2021, it’s going to take 90 days or more to get parts to repair my Niro. Cost to have it repaired $12,000, and of course I have insurance. Yes it’s a really fun car to drive. Can not wait to get it back on the road. The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist worked great the car went from 55 mph to 5 mph in second. The Smart Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go was on that is how I know how fast I was going.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote..."The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist worked great the car went from 55 mph to 5 mph in second"

Do you not see the irony of posting pictures of a collision and praising a "collision avoidance" system.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
47 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! Interesting to see the amount of damage - and empty space where the deer hit. I hope this doesn't happen to me but it's always possible. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote..."The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist worked great the car went from 55 mph to 5 mph in second"

Do you not see the irony of posting pictures of a collision and praising a "collision avoidance" system.
That’s why I posted the pictures, think about hitting a 4 point buck at 55 mph and the difference at 5 mph. That’s why I am, as you say praising “collision avoidance system” my wife never look up from her phone until I pulled off the highway.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
428 Posts
That’s why I posted the pictures, think about hitting a 4 point buck at 55 mph and the difference at 5 mph. That’s why I am, as you say praising “collision avoidance system” my wife never look up from her phone until I pulled off the highway.
I agree, if you had hit that deer at 55, the car would be totaled and you would most likely have been hurt as well.
Sorry to hear about the collision and the time you will be without the EV, but certainly could have been much worse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to hear. Must have been a pucker inducing moment. But what happened to the deer? Are you going to be eating venison for the next couple of months? Hopefully it survived.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear. Must have been a pucker inducing moment. But what happened to the deer? Are you going to be eating venison for the next couple of months? Hopefully it survived.
Must say it was not a pucker inducing moment because of the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist it activated and slowed the car down from 55 mph to 5 mph before impact, what happened to Deer the dam Sheriff Deputy went over and shot it in the head and threw it in the back of his Patrol SUV and drove off before my Son could say anything, the Deputy was so happy to get the Deer that he forgot about his Partner and hour later he returned to get his Partner, the Deer was not in his SUV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Must say it was not a pucker inducing moment because of the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist it activated and slowed the car down from 55 mph to 5 mph before impact, what happened to Deer the dam Sheriff Deputy went over and shot it in the head and threw it in the back of his Patrol SUV and drove off before my Son could say anything, the Deputy was so happy to get the Deer that he forgot about his Partner and hour later he returned to get his Partner, the Deer was not in his SUV.
Good to hear the active safety system worked so well. When I shopping for a new car, I made sure that it had all the bells and whistles since my then teenage kid was going to be driving it.

I guess that cop had a great recipe for venison sausage.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
369 Posts
Our state has a large amount of deer and a corresponding large amount of deer crashes.

We have witnessed a couple. There are instances when no amount of technology will prevent this. It sounds like in this case the system worked fine.

We were on a country road with forest on each side of the road. The speed limit is 45 mph. We witnessed a deer bolting from the forest cover run directly into the front side of the vehicle. I can't imagine any system reacting to that situation in time to prevent it.

On the expressways passing through heavily forested areas it is not uncommon for deer to bolt/run in front of cars going 70 mph totaling the front end-being thrown on the hood hitting and destroying the windshield. You see the corresponding blood stained asphalt the next day.

Yes deer do hit cars sometimes!

·
Registered
224 Posts
A long time ago, I used to see ads for this device that you mounted on the front bumper of your car that was supposed to repel deer. Anyone ever seen or used these and do they actually worked?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,001 Posts
A long time ago, I used to see ads for this device that you mounted on the front bumper of your car that was supposed to repel deer. Anyone ever seen or used these and do they actually worked?
They were big in the JC Whitney catalogs. :LOL: No, I don't think they really did much. I believe the claim was they emitted a high frequency sound that was supposed to repel the animals. But since any such sound will likely be greatly dependent on the speed of the air pushing through the device, I would but that there was only a limited speed range that it might have been effective, assuming the sound was effective in the first place.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My cousin totaled 3 cars from impacts with deer before her husband got smart and bought her an old Suburban with a MASSIVE front replacement bumper and grill guard. She has hit a few more deer but has yet to damage that tank!!

I used to live in the same area. Impacts with deer are VERY common. Going through the worst area, I would honk my horn several times if I was coming through around sunrise or just before sun set. Don’t know if it worked or not but I never hit any deer!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
428 Posts
Yes, they are called deer whistles. Some people swear by them and others swear at them. Because they are extremely cheap and small, most people can't see them and if they don't work, you are only out less than $10 for a pair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my 2020 Kia Niro EV EX Premium for two weeks and then I was hit by a deer on 28 November 2021, it’s going to take 90 days or more to get parts to repair my Niro. Cost to have it repaired $12,000, and of course I have insurance. Yes it’s a really fun car to drive. Can not wait to get it back on the road. The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist worked great the car went from 55 mph to 5 mph in second. The Smart Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go was on that is how I know how fast I was going.
Glad everything worked..

90 days is fast compared to my summer repair of my niro. Took a little more than 120 days to get everything going. Had my car sideswiped by some douche that don't believe in stop lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you hit the deer at 5mph it sure did a lot of damage to your Kia which does not say much for how it protects you in an accident
At 5 mph the deer should have just bounced off the car. I hit a big deer at 10 mph in exactly the same place and sustained no damage at all to my Lexus.
The deer also survived and ran away
However that said I come from Australia and there the kangaroos on the road are a big problem
Most country based cars have what we call roo-bars mounted on the front struts/bumper
These are substantial bar structures to save the car from damage and stop the kangaroo from going over the hood and ending up going through the front windshield

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the suggestion about the roo-bar, I have been looking for a grille guard since I purchased my 2020 eNiro
I wouldn’t compare your Lexus to my eNiro in terms of being able to withstand a deer hitting it, because in terms of the exterior, the aluminum was limited to an aluminum hood and liftgate on according to Lexus. Where as my 2020 eNiro is all aluminum. And as for safety as said before my Wife never look up from her phone until I pulled off the Highway. And I did not feel a thing. I am just waiting on parts to come in from Korea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main thing is you were both safe and not hurt. I guess with all the supply chain issues you just have to wait to get your great looking Niro back to its former beauty
Hopefully the wait is not too long

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry it's going to take 3 months to get back on the road again, but glad the safety system kicked in and worked well enough to prevent human injuries.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you hit the deer at 5mph it sure did a lot of damage to your Kia which does not say much for how it protects you in an accident
At 5 mph the deer should have just bounced off the car. I hit a big deer at 10 mph in exactly the same place and sustained no damage at all to my Lexus.
The deer also survived and ran away
However that said I come from Australia and there the kangaroos on the road are a big problem
Most country based cars have what we call roo-bars mounted on the front struts/bumper
These are substantial bar structures to save the car from damage and stop the kangaroo from going over the hood and ending up going through the front windshield
All accidents are different. One inadvertent bump into a bollard at slow speed can just leave dimple in the bumper or it could cause the whole bumper to fall off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts