Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new Kia Niro PHEV owner. I am curious as to what a departure time is? I have read up on it but am still in the dark. I set the departure time for 8am, and set my charging time for Off Peak only from 12am-8am. Is the departure time the time I plan on unplugging the car? When the charger stops charging? I am home now on vacation (teacher), and have learned a lot, but this one baffles me.

I also was not able to set the times on the app or website. Had to set it up in the car before it showed up on the app.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Debbie,
I'm sorry that I did not answer your "Departure" Question in a direct manner. I had the same question and finally decided that " the time I plan on unplugging the car" is what whoever wrote the program meant. The person that wrote the Battery charging schedule program, must work 7 days a week, to not have any other options!
For instance; our "OFF PEAK" time on the weekend starts at 8PM Friday and goes until 3 PM on Mondays! Peak hours are 3PM to 8PM, Monday through Friday.
BUT, as I have been looking, there is no way to schedule the weekend "OFF PEAK" time; except making those days' schedule the same hours as the Mon through Friday Scheduled hours.
Being retired, we do not have specific departure times, except for Doctor appointments! My wife and I are on the uphill side of the late 70's; pushing 80 in a couple of months. At this point in our lives, God has not told us or actual Departure Time! We don't really like the word Departure! So we would like to have an option of "Charging Times" and be able to program each day's charging times to fine tune to a person's specific needs! I believe that it would also make your life a little easier.
It would maybe take the Kia Programmer an hour or so to make the changes, instead of Kia Owners taking hours to try to figure how to make Kia's options work for their /our needs, as customer/owners!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
Yeah, the off-peak schedules in the car are useless for me. We have one time period from mid-morning until 5PM, then again after 9 or 10 until about 6 AM. And the entire weekend is off-peak. Unfortunately, my Juicebox doesn't accept twice daily off-peak either. At least it does have different schedules for weekday and weekend.

As to the original question: to my knowledge, the departure time is when you want the car fully charged. So it should commence charging in time to meet that departure time.

With the PHEV, you can't really pre-condition the cabin, as heat requires starting the engine and you don't want that to happen in a garage. You can use the UVO app to turn the A/C on before you reach the car, but be aware that if the car's plugged in and charging the A/C doesn't actually cool. You just get the fan blowing air around. I've never tested to see if the A/C will cool if it's plugged in but the battery is full, but even if it does, it will turn back off as soon as the charger detects the battery has dropped below 100% and begins charging again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OOPS! I thought that the PHEV, might have the same charging schedule Program, since the Departure time program seemed the same! The Program is still lacking in being "User Friendly" by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok but I am actually not planning on “departing” at 8am every morning nor do I want the car to remote start every day. I just want it to charge between 12am-8am and be ready for when and if I do leave. The only way I was able to make a charging schedule was to create a departure schedule. My car did start charging at 12am but I hope it doesn’t start up at 8am!

In a nutshell, I just want to know if I can set a charging schedule without creating a departure time. Or if all else fails, can I just plug it into a timer and set it that way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok but I am actually not planning on “departing” at 8am every morning nor do I want the car to remote start every day. I just want it to charge between 12am-8am and be ready for when and if I do leave. The only way I was able to make a charging schedule was to create a departure schedule. My car did start charging at 12am but I hope it doesn’t start up at 8am!

In a nutshell, I just want to know if I can set a charging schedule without creating a departure time. The Answer is NO! But if you set the departure ties the way you did, the car should charge between the times you selected, but may not be enough time to fully charge on 110 volt charger. So you may have to increase the time between the AM Departure to 10PM to 8PM

Or if all else fails, can I just plug it into a timer and set it that way? The answer is NO again. The car's computer is what controls the charging times, which are labeled and programmed as Departure Times: NOT the charger.
You should watch the videos from people that have them and maybe you can then understand them better than what has been said already.
Go to:
g

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I set the charging time from 12am-8am (off peak hours) and chose the departure time at 11. Car finished charging around 5 this morning and the charger shut off. Car did not start up at 11 (thank goodness). So now I have a full battery just in case I need to leave. Thanks everyone. I think I have it figured out.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
So I set the charging time from 12am-8am (off peak hours) and chose the departure time at 11. Car finished charging around 5 this morning and the charger shut off. Car did not start up at 11 (thank goodness). So now I have a full battery just in case I need to leave. Thanks everyone. I think I have it figured out.
Nah, that won't start the car. It's simply for timing the charging to ensure it's fully charged when you plan to leave. It has no control over actually starting the car. When I mentioned the car starting, it was in reference to using the UVO app on your phone to pre-condition the car prior to departure. If you tell the car to set a temp, and that temp requires heat to reach, then the engine will start. If you set a temp that requires the A/C to come on, it will do that without the engine starting, and the engine will never start unless the battery is completely drained. That's not likely to happen in real life. There's no way to pre-condition the car with any setting in the car itself. You have to use the app on your phone for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. And speaking of this UVO app, it seems to be constantly having issues. In fact I can’t even use CarPlay. I can use Bluetooth for audio and phone but not my maps. I guess my model doesn’t come with automatic map, and since I can’t use CarPlay (not even with the wire), I can’t project a map

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Thank you. And speaking of this UVO app, it seems to be constantly having issues. In fact I can’t even use CarPlay. I can use Bluetooth for audio and phone but not my maps. I guess my model doesn’t come with automatic map, and since I can’t use CarPlay (not even with the wire), I can’t project a map
UVO has nothing to do with using CarPlay. If it's not working, try a different Lightning cable. Also, make sure you've connected to the correct USB port. The one under the console armrest (if you car has one in there) doesn't work. You have to use one of the ports in the console below the radio. In my Niro I don't think it matters which one I use, but perhaps they've changed for 2020/21. Try both of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know CarPlay and UVO aren’t “related”. Just been having issues with both. As far as the lightning cable, I can’t use it because this is wireless CarPlay. The cable won’t recognize and it’s the one that came with the phone and I am using the correct port. I just got CarPlay to work again, but I have to delete everything from the car and phone and reconnect. I would like to be able to use the cable if need be, but the CarPlay icon won’t even light up when I plug the cable in. Says I have to set up phone wirelessly

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Sorry, I forgot they added wireless CarPlay to the '21 model. I've never played with a car that supports that, but it's surprising that you can't use it both wired and wirelessly. Doesn't make sense, but then many times tech people do things that they think are "right", even when they don't make sense. :D And I say that in great admiration for what so many in tech do, as I have dabbled with some programming myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was confused over the departure time also. All I wanted to do was to start the scheduled charging at midnight and let it run until it was fully charge, regardless of how long it took. But the system requires a stop time, which they call the departure time. Whatever...I just set the departure time for 9 AM. I know that the longest it takes to charge the battery is usually 6.5 hours, so it is done charging before I leave and certainly before the 9 AM blast-off departure time in the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a brand new Kia Niro PHEV owner. I am curious as to what a departure time is? I have read up on it but am still in the dark. I set the departure time for 8am, and set my charging time for Off Peak only from 12am-8am. Is the departure time the time I plan on unplugging the car? When the charger stops charging? I am home now on vacation (teacher), and have learned a lot, but this one baffles me.

I also was not able to set the times on the app or website. Had to set it up in the car before it showed up on the app.

Thanks everyone!
It's important to note that the system assumes you're plugged in to a high voltage fast charger. I plug in to 110V power, but when I set my departure time as 8 AM (my off-peak hours are 12A to 8A), it only starts charging around 6 AM and doesn't finish a full charge in time. To overcome this, I have a schedule set with 12:30 AM as my departure time, which tricks it into starting to charge at midnight.
I started doing this three years ago when I got my 2018, so maybe they've made it smarter since then. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
13 Posts
It's important to note that the system assumes you're plugged in to a high voltage fast charger. I plug in to 110V power, but when I set my departure time as 8 AM (my off-peak hours are 12A to 8A), it only starts charging around 6 AM and doesn't finish a full charge in time. To overcome this, I have a schedule set with 12:30 AM as my departure time, which tricks it into starting to charge at midnight.
I started doing this three years ago when I got my 2018, so maybe they've made it smarter since then. Can anyone confirm?
I wondered about that issue as I have two EVs to charge but only have 50A total circuit capacity so can't charge both at full rate at the same time. I have noticed that when I plug in a car (both are 2020 Niro EVs) that the EVSE contactor cycles (meaning the car is checking charge rate) and then the car waits to start charging and has always finished 15 minutes to a couple of hours before the set departure time, regardless of how much current I tell the EVSE to let the car draw. I have not, however, tested on a 120V EVSE. It may be that the programmers only have the car check the allowed current draw and completely ignored testing the circuit voltage. That would cause what you are finding with the L1 charging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts