Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2021 EV...living in Las Vegas, where it gets so hot in the summer the asphalt melts ( several days of 110+) ... any owners out there in this area (AZ, NV) that may have some input?
Not too worried as to energy consumption, more concerned about the efficiency of the A/C...
Anyone brave enough to have the premium model with the sunroof ?...how well does the A/C work with that option?
TIA (thanks in advance)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have the 2020 with sunroof and live in Phoenix. Had it since Jan ‘21. No issues what so ever. A/C effects mileage as much as heat does. Sunroof shade offers go protection in summer, open the shade and your head gets hot (glass isn’t super efficient). Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just a thought, if you have the option you might want to get the ventilated seats. I have them in my '18 PHEV and even on the East Coast they are really nice. Definitely helps keep things cool. I think overall the HVAC is pretty stout and shouldn't have any issues keeping the interior temps in check.

I would also avoid the sunroof if possible, as @JSTNEMT pointed out glass is a pretty poor insulator and the sun shade won't help much since the heat is already inside the cabin.

Reactions: Edeznut

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I believe to get the ventilated seats (which I feel work extremely well), you have to get the sunroof. At least when I got mine in '19, the EX Premium was the only trim with those seats, and if the sunroof wasn't standard it seemed that every car had it anyway. But with the shield closed, I don't recall any issues with the sun. And we actually had a 110+F day here in Seattle this past summer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I believe to get the ventilated seats (which I feel work extremely well), you have to get the sunroof. At least when I got mine in '19, the EX Premium was the only trim with those seats, and if the sunroof wasn't standard it seemed that every car had it anyway. But with the shield closed, I don't recall any issues with the sun. And we actually had a 110+F day here in Seattle this past summer.
Hmmm, in '18 the EX Premium trim had the ventilated seats sans sunroof. YMMV in other years of course. Car option packages are weird.

Reactions: TK6

·
Registered
16 Posts
We've had out '18 EX thru 4 summers now. We live just south of Tucson, so days that hit 105 are pretty rare. But 100 is common. The sun roof is a non issue. The A/C works very well, though the cooled seats are not much value.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
The A/C works very well, though the cooled seats are not much value.
This surprises me. I felt the ventilated seats were better in my Niro than my new Bolt. Are you using the Driver Only setting in the HVAC system? I noticed the seats cooled much better when that setting was off. I think the seat fans pull their air from the duct that feeds the rear console vent, and if that's turned off you naturally won't get as cool of air.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The cooled seats work best when you have the HVAC to put out at the dash level AND the floor level... the cool air on the floor is picked up by the seat fans.

There is no "cooling system" in the seats, just heaters and fans....

Try it, makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think the seat fans pull their air from the duct that feeds the rear console vent, and if that's turned off you naturally won't get as cool of air.
Correct. If you have the passenger HVAC turned off then you will not get conditioned air through either seat. It's not well documented and is a bit counterintuitive that the driver's seat ventilation is controlled by the passenger side of the system.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That is weird... you mean you cannot have AC on and put some/all the air to the floor if the passengers side is off?

I've got to look at that... what "flows" does the climate display show?
Correct, I think. Basically the seat vents are connected to the rear passenger vents and so are controlled by the passenger side AC setting. I think I remember a nursery rhyme about this phenomenon. 😁

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
36 Posts
Looking at a 2021 EV...living in Las Vegas, where it gets so hot in the summer the asphalt melts ( several days of 110+) ... any owners out there in this area (AZ, NV) that may have some input?
Not too worried as to energy consumption, more concerned about the efficiency of the A/C...
Anyone brave enough to have the premium model with the sunroof ?...how well does the A/C work with that option?
TIA (thanks in advance)
I live in Utah. The AC and heater is great. I got the premium with the heated/ventilated seats, heat pump, heated steering wheel, all of it. It use the heated steering wheel and seats all winter, and the heater if I have to. In summer the ventilated seats are nice too but I usually end up running the AC. It seems to only get real cold if you turn the AC on anyway so I suspect it's just pumping the AC air through the seats. The heat pump seems to have plenty of power to pump out cold air. If you have it in ECO mode it doesn't put out much but if you switch it to NORMAL it gives you lots of hot/cold. The sunroof doesn't seem to affect anything. It has an insulated carpet/fabric cover that slides over the opening and I don't feel it there with it closed.

I got it in September so haven't had to deal with the brunt of the heat yet but in the winter it's been great. Running the heat or AC all night uses about 5% of the battery in case you camp in the back much. Even at single digit temperatures it keeps the cabin at 70°+. On road trips it does coldgate pretty hard at chargers below 20°F if you don't manually pre-heat by accelerating/regenerating hard right before the charger. It adds 5-10 minutes to a 30 minute DC fast charge if you just rely on "winter mode" to preheat the battery. In the summer if you pull in at 20% it goes straight to 78 KW and holds it deep into the charge. The cooling fan kicks on and screams pretty good at 78kw but it doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with cooling needs of both DC fast charging and AC at the same time.

I'm glad I got the ventilated seats and the sunroof and stereo is nice but I don't think they're worth the extra $5k just to get a few more miles of range in the summer. I'd just get the EV EX and run the AC more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TIA (thanks in advance)
I have a black 2021 PHEV in central Texas. AC works great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts