Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious at the number of issues that are posted onto this site about this or that not working or doing something wrong, or even generating some error.

I get that misery loves company, but when the thread is asking what they should do, or simply to complain about the fault, then I am left wondering what is the point. It's not like the Kia doesn't come with one of the longest warranties out there, so any problem or error that you get, should be solved by your dealer under warranty. I would understand if someone posted that they got a problem and the dealer is stumped and asking for suggestions or help. I am grateful if someone posts that they had an isssue X and went to the dealer and they fixes it by doing the following repairs. Great, in that helps others to know what to ask the dealer, or if they had a similar sounding issue but it was fixed differently, then it helps too in trying to isolate where the problems might be. But I am pretty sure that the Niro has at least a 5 year warranty, and the first model was released in 2017, so how any car can be outside of that warranty window except for the few who drive unbelievable distances that millage was the limiting factor.

This is a modern hyper computer controlled vehicle, so unless you have the right computer to plug in and software to match, your just guessing like the rest of us as to what is wrong. Am I missing something or just being to judgemental?

·
Registered
311 Posts
<<We are men here! We don't read the stinking manual, and we don't believe in dealers. Only wimps use Google.>>
Besides what yticolev said its all Voodoo 👺unless it was found on an official tribe - err I mean owner's forum!.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree, some of the issues should mean a trip straight back to the dealer. However, I try to stay as far away from the dealer as possible. In my limited experience with dealers doing warranty work/recall work, it's probably about a 50% rate of them screwing something up. I don't like to let ANYONE work on my cars unless I have to. So sometimes, an internet forum is very helpful in finding answers and knowing what to expect when you do need to deal with a service advisor/tech.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the standing on why take something to a dealership if it's a trivial fix or going in with an idea as to what needs to get done first. But some are a head scratchier. Your engine won't start and has an error "Hybrid Failure". Wouldn't you think that needs a trip to a dealer? I can get asking about swapping out light bulbs. sure. If your engine is leaking gas into the oil, I doubt that you'd want to try and fix that yourself as the risk of screwing up something else inside your engine.

But what I find the most disturbing is how much mistrust there is for dealers. I gather that most of the members here are in the USA, so I am going to guess that dealers in the US don't know what they are doing and resulting in bad user experience. I've got two dealers close by to me that technically are top notch. One has a cultural problem in the way they treat the customer, so I take my business to the other dealer.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Your engine won't start and has an error "Hybrid Failure". Wouldn't you think that needs a trip to a dealer?
Actually, this error is pretty common and often random and goes away with turning car on and off. From reading posts online, only repeated error dialogs have a chance of the dealer discovering a problem. For the rest of the gremlins, kind of a waste of time returning to the dealer several times and being told they cannot find an issue. Turning to a forum for help can be quite useful in the example you cite.

In my own case, I'm under warranty and a rattle has developed in the back. I've avoided the time consuming dealer visit, and the likely source of the rattle has been identified on this very forum. So when I do go, I can point out the source, saving much time. Sure, a lot of the queries look a bit silly with no attempt to search the forum or Google. But I for one, don't want to reduce our already slim traffic. A moderator should take the tone that there are no stupid questions and bite your tongue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I posted on here a while back about a cel coming on on our 19 hev ,the only thing i could think of was gas cap being loose , it wasn't. So we took it to a local dealer they diagnosed the issue re service bulletin evap small leak . Anyway got it fixed yesterday after they had forgotten to call us when the part came in. In our town we have three kia dealers but I've only dealt with the one that we got the car at. Other than that small snafu regarding not notifying us about the part it's been fine there ,they seem to know their stuff . I think that i will blame that on covid because it's only now becoming slightly normal there.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
As one of the moderators, I agree that there's rarely a stupid question. I welcome honest questions, and there are many users on this forum that can actually offer some terrific support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But what I find the most disturbing is how much mistrust there is for dealers. I gather that most of the members here are in the USA, so I am going to guess that dealers in the US don't know what they are doing and resulting in bad user experience. I've got two dealers close by to me that technically are top notch. One has a cultural problem in the way they treat the customer, so I take my business to the other dealer.
what we don't know is if the mistrust if for all dealers or just Kia dealers. I'm two years into ownership and have nothing bad or particularly good to say about my dealer except they are reasonably fast with oil changes, have good donuts and the staff are OK. I don't have alot of trust for dealers or local garages--what to do; stick with my tricky to understand warranty I guess. I'm not a motorhead and haven't been for 40 years and don't want to be one, so my desire is simple, if the car breaks, fix it fast, fix it right, fix it for no to little cash.

In the meantime I'm pretty satisfied with the car, and I get good MPG, 50+, and I have a work truck to drive as needed. I wish I could turn off all the junk noises you're forced to listen to when you get in and start it and I certainly wish the nav. system was different/some what useful, but those aren't why I bought the car.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
I have had a great relationship with a VW/Subaru dealership for almost 20 years. This includes sales and service. The dealer I leased my Kia from was difficult to work with, simply because they followed the old time bartering back and forth on a deal. It took over two hours before they agreed to the terms I had when I walked in the door. For my 7500 mile service, I went to a closer dealer that had barely opened their doors when I was shopping, so they didn't have any PHEVs for me to lease. But their service department was terrific, and I'll likely remain with them for the remaining scheduled services the car requires.

But yes, here in the US car dealers can run the gamut. Finding a really good one isn't really common. Far too many put on second stickers to jack up the price, sometimes simply as a bargaining tool.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
5 years / 100.000 km (Canada)
5 years / 60.000 miles (USA)
7 years / 150.000 km (Europe)

Dealing with the same Kia dealer since 2009, I have a good relation with them. sales, service, etc.. If i have an issue, minor or major, it always gets resolved fast. Why?, because what both sides wants, is a quick fix and happyness... but, i always try to keep a "jooker" card in my sleeve if i would need more "help".. This is why i have a very important contact at Kia Canada, and alot of others contacts all around the world to get more information on the product before striking back. :D

And to respond for the "asked questions" on the Forum, yes there are no stupid or dumb question, BUT, when i see 3,4,10 times the same questions, that means that people do NOT make any "search" into the forum before asking it.. That i am shure, create frustration for the people that has responded alot of time the same anwser.. :sneaky:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Forum search is horrible. They all may have tried it. Google works better.
Yeah, I'm active on a couple forums built on various software packages and the default search functions are universally terrible. Like you, I just open a new tab and Google it. It's easy to limit the search to a specific site, which makes finding the result you're looking for easy. Just add:
Code:
site:https://www.kianiroforum.com
to your search and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I just add kianiroforum to search terms.

Forums with a Google search box are the best, except their search is not constrained to the site they are on. So not much different than searching on a Google page. Your method may constrain results.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have read somewhere (can't recall where) that the mistrust in USA for dealers is warranted. It seems that there is no legally required trade certification needed in order to call your self car mechanic or car repair person, and therefor customers have no real protection other then the usual "I will sue you" route. The ASE certification (an industry standard) is NOT legally required (only in some very local jurisdictions), so there you go.

In Canada (where we live) this is not the case: with public safety in mind some jurisdictions have laws on the trade certification needed for those who work on your car. In British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut, certification for automotive service technicians is available, but is not legally required. In the other provinces the automotive trade is a compulsory trade. That means you do need a licence to be a mechanic.

And as far as I know in many European countries people working on your car for money need to have the necessary certifications as well.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have read somewhere (can't recall where) that the mistrust in USA for dealers is warranted. It seems that there is no legally required trade certification needed in order to call your self car mechanic or car repair person, and therefor customers have no real protection other then the usual "I will sue you" route. The ASE certification (an industry standard) is NOT legally required (only in some very local jurisdictions), so there you go.
I was going to say something about some other professions inside the US but it's likely too political.

One would hope that the dealership that you bought the car from would be responsible enough to hire trained people to work on your car. One would also hope that Kia will stand behind the dealerships so that if the work was not done to a good standard that they would be forced to fix it, so Kia wanting to protect their name wouldn't allow bad dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
The problem manufacturers have with dealerships is that they are a franchise. Someone paid a fair amount of money to sell and service that brand, and they have some pretty robust rules in their corner for their protection. Basically, it takes a lot of effort and expense to revoke a franchise, and that's a good thing to protect the owner's investment. You don't want them to be able to pull your franchise for some vague or bogus reason. But it can be done, as I saw it happen to a Dodge dealer some time back. That dealer retained their Mazda franchise, but Dodge pulled it for reasons I can't recall. But it was never a particularly good dealership to buy from. And I say that as someone who did buy a car there once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get the standing on why take something to a dealership if it's a trivial fix or going in with an idea as to what needs to get done first. But some are a head scratchier. Your engine won't start and has an error "Hybrid Failure". Wouldn't you think that needs a trip to a dealer? I can get asking about swapping out light bulbs. sure. If your engine is leaking gas into the oil, I doubt that you'd want to try and fix that yourself as the risk of screwing up something else inside your engine.

It’s not that US dealers don’t know what they are doing. They know. They know they’re fleecing you. I take my Niro back to the dealer for regular service intervals. But in my own experience with dealers, and I’m talking about dealers for other makes, not my KIA dealer, they are too expensive and they don’t do a good job because, I think, the mechanics doing the actual work are under too much pressure to get one job done and move on to the next, all to make more money for the dealer. Example: I had a big name Japanese brand car that had a bad alternator, and I took it to the dealer. They replaced it with a rebuilt alternator and charged about 4 times what I could have bought it for myself. And that was just for the part. Labor was extra. And then they itemized little stuff, like the clips that hold wiring in place, that THEY had to break to do the work. These clips cost about 15 cents each. I had never seen any shop itemize stuff like that, and I’ve been to many different mechanics in my life.
But the real killer, for me, was some dubious charge for “overhead” that I disputed. They told me it was for electricity (lights), office work, etc. I asked how it was calculated and was told it was just a percentage of the total of all the other charges, which is a joke. I didn’t go back.
And I noticed they left the power line to the a/c disconnected. On purpose or accidentally? Who knows.
Another dealer, different make, told me I needed 5500 dollars worth of work to fix my drivetrain problem, then tried to sell me a new or used, excuse me, “pre-owned” vehicle. I took it to an independent transmission shop (mechanic owned) and was told it needed a new clutch - about $300!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts