Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Niro Hybrid EX w/ Premium Package
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my Niro this weekend and am looking into getting the front windows tinted since the back ones are already factory tinted. Anyone know what % they use in the rear windows and back so I can match them? Also, has anyone got their windshield or sunroof tinted?

My main reason for tinting is to keep the car cooler. Second reason is because I think it looks cooler lol.

Would love to hear what you guys have done / pictures and any recommendations you might have for brand/type of tint and %.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I would caution you about tinting the fronts beyond their factory level. Depending on your state, it might not be legal to go any darker. I've even heard of some states harassing cars with factory tint. Yes, the rears are darker. But I feel the fronts are already tinted rather nicely. Standing beside the car when outdoors during daylight you don't get a clear interior view without pressing up close to the glass unless the sun is on the opposite side of the car.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I used cling-on tint on the rear hatch because of no dimmable mirror.
Rear hatch isn't a problem. You could completely black it out without breaking any law. But the front seat windows and windshield have restrictions, and it varies by state. Places like AZ and TX allow heavier tint because it can get so warm there, while more northern states might not permit any tint beyond factory.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 50% ceramic tint. it cost little more than other type of films but worth every penny. it does a good job with blocking out "heat" and UV and it's legal in VA. I had 35% carbon film on my previous RX which did a good job blocking the "light" but not so much the "heat". don't go too cheap and use metallic [reception issue] or the plain tint [fade issue].

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did with 35%
Do you remember what brand and if carbon/cerm
I have 50% ceramic tint. it cost little more than other type of films but worth every penny. it does a good job with blocking out "heat" and UV and it's legal in VA. I had 35% carbon film on my previous RX which did a good job blocking the "light" but not so much the "heat". don't go too cheap and use metallic [reception issue] or the plain tint [fade issue].
Thanks I'm planning on going Ceramic as well and replacing the privacy tint in the rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Lexen "2 ply premium carbon" from amazon 20" x 10'. Was about 15 bucks. Doesn't look like they have the 35% in stock right now though. Pretty cheap to experiment with. I like it so far. I'm in CA so I know the laws. The Niro is more unassuming than my previous two seater. Also had 35% in front on that one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A large majority of car dealerships that I have done business with here in Texas will install window tint on all new cars they get. My local KIA dealership is no exception. Having tinted windows here is almost a necessity.

I have no idea how dark my windows are but they are dark enough to help reduce the glare of sun reflections and to help the AC with not having to work as hard as with no tint at all.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
Just picked up my Niro this weekend and am looking into getting the front windows tinted since the back ones are already factory tinted. Anyone know what % they use in the rear windows and back so I can match them? Also, has anyone got their windshield or sunroof tinted?

My main reason for tinting is to keep the car cooler. Second reason is because I think it looks cooler lol.

Would love to hear what you guys have done / pictures and any recommendations you might have for brand/type of tint and %.

Thanks!
It depends on the state that you live in. I live in California and the front ones cannot be tinted. However in Nevada or Arizona, all windows can be tinted. My Niro already came with the factory tint on the back. By looking at it I would have to say that they use the 35%. I don’t know if you can tint over the factory ones. If you can then I would like to know because I want to tint them as dark as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It depends on the state that you live in. I live in California and the front ones cannot be tinted. However in Nevada or Arizona, all windows can be tinted. My Niro already came with the factory tint on the back. By looking at it I would have to say that they use the 35%. I don’t know if you can tint over the factory ones. If you can then I would like to know because I want to tint them as dark as possible.
I'm in California as well. Tint person I'm going to said they can tint over the factory ones. I plan on doing that and getting matching in front (30%) I used to have 20% tint and know a bunch of people with 15% that haven't had any issues in my area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As has been said, check your local tint laws. Having had several friends that are in law enforcement, they only pull people over for suspected tint violations when looking for probable cause because they are fishing....unless it's state police, they might pull you over for it but it's fairly rare. I used to tint all of my vehicles 5% all the way around and 50% on the whole windshield. Now that I am older, I go with 30% on the sides and 50% on the windshield. I would guess the factory rear tint is between 30-40%, that's the usual from my experience.

I just bought my Niro yesterday so I will have to tint the driver and passenger side windows and possibly the windshield. If you go with 50% on the windshield and have regular tint on the rest, it's almost not noticeable but helps a ton with the sun coming through. If you are worried about local laws, check your area and remember to not go lower than the AS1 line on the windshield. I highly recommend tinting of some sort, it helps tremendously with heat and you don't have to run the AC near as much or as high when you have tint, but don't get anything you have trouble seeing through day or night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my front windows tinted with Llumar IRX at 30% and windshield at 70%. can already feel the difference and looks great!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I looked up what my state allows, and it's as I expected, although they do allow darker on the front seat windows that I expected:

Tint darkness for sedans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 24% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 24% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 24% of light in.
Tint darkness for SUV and vans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 24% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: Washington Tint Laws - 2019 & 2020 - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's pretty dark! Not understanding those referring to 50% windshield tint. Just the top of the windshield?
personally 50% is too dark for me on the windshield. it's the entire front windshield. I have mine at 70% which is basically transparent still and helps block heat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts