Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished the paperwork for a 18 LX with Tech package at about 11am yesterday. !0.30am today it died - display panel said something about hybrid problem and then regenerative brakes problem. Had to wait about 3 hrs for the tow truck to come. Hopefully this is a one off thing. Enjoyed driving it for the day we had.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry to hear your having problems. Since you just got it I doubt the paperwork went through yet. See if the dealer will just swap cars with you for another one. I'd be pretty insistent he does it or just cancel the sale.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer called to say that the fuse for the low voltage battery was broken and there were none in the country, It had to be shipped in from Korea (they said 203 weeks). I talked to a manager who didn't want to do anything really. I said that I still had reviews to do, including a google review they texted me shortly after the sale. He said he would talk to the Kia rep. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dealer called to say that the fuse for the low voltage battery was broken and there were none in the country, It had to be shipped in from Korea (they said 203 weeks). I talked to a manager who didn't want to do anything really. I said that I still had reviews to do, including a google review they texted me shortly after the sale. He said he would talk to the Kia rep. fingers crossed.
That’s crazy! 203 weeks??? That’s 4 years! Are they going to give you a loaner for that time? If so, that might not be too bad. You’ll have a 4 year old car with 20 miles on it. ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
That Is Crazy!!!!! I hope you have a loaner. They could easily pull the fuse out of one of their in stock cars so you don't have to wait. I'd make a lot of noise, there's alot of things they can do. If it really has to come from Korea tell them DHL ships from there, takes a day or two. The simplest thing is to take a fuse out of one of their cars.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think he meant to write 2-3 weeks...

Anyways, that's still an insane wait, considering you just bought it. Indeed, they should give you the fuse from one of their other cars in inventory in the meantime, or a loaner car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did get a loaner. But of course we are pissed off. I spoke to a manager - said with 3 weeks the car will now be only 5 days from being a lemon (in Wisconsin its 4 attempts to fix a problem, or 30 days without the car: the manger said it was 3 attempts). I then also said I haven't done any reviews of the dealer yet (I got a text immediately to do a quick google review right after the sale). This got the manager to say he would talk to his Kia rep. Waiting to hear back. I wasn't fast enough to remember that it was morning in Korea and they could get the part overnight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You should let everybody know who this dealer is so we can avoid them like the plague. They could have taken care of this in minutes if they wanted to by taking a fuse out of one of their in stock cars. It's probably too late now but does your state have one of those laws that you can cancel the sale within 3 days or so?

·
Registered
178 Posts
We had a door handle break off our 2017 EX 4 months after purchase. The dealer took a door handle from the lot until the replacement (correct recall item) was shipped. They did this for our convenience and to also stop rain from entering the inside door assembly. Also, I ordered aftermarket rain deflectors for the windows........an eBay seller IN Korea, ($38.00 for all FOUR windows by the way, a killer price compared to WeatherTec @ over $125.00 and they market a dangerous (to the car) window rain deflector) ......... this seller was located in South Korea, their aftermarket product even said NIRO on the side, perfect fit and get this,,,,,,,,,,,FREE international expedited shipping which took only 6 days!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear about your early onset problems. Seems like to me that your dealer could have done a much better job in addressing and alleviating your concerns. I find it hard to believe that they can't expedite the shipping, even if it is coming from Korea.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Also, I ordered aftermarket rain deflectors for the windows........an eBay seller IN Korea, ($38.00 for all FOUR windows by the way, a killer price compared to WeatherTec @ over $125.00 and they market a dangerous (to the car) window rain deflector) ......... this seller was located in South Korea, their aftermarket product even said NIRO on the side, perfect fit and get this,,,,,,,,,,,FREE international expedited shipping which took only 6 days!!!
Picture, link? Were these in channel deflectors like WeatherTec or externally applied?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Hmm... Looks like both kinds are being sold on eBay. Still, I'd like to know what you bought and what they actually look like on your car. The pix of installed ones on eBay are not great. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found out a little more today. The module which controls charging the 12v battery was fried. So no 12V battery, no car. Apparently a TSB was issued about this problem the day after ours died. KIA called me today that the module should be delivered earl next week (they actual called while I was at the dealer, the service department didn't know about it).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. Dealership was useless. Matter of fact, the dealer reset the code before they delivered the car. I know this because the light came on during the test drive and I notified them. I was told it was an environmental sensor because the gas cap wasn't screwed on correctly. The lights were off when I received the car, but 30 miles down the road it came back on.
Luckily Kia followed through. Took several months, but they are swapping out the vehicle. Total repairs involved a replacement of the Brake Management System module, the hybrid battery and wire harness, 3 fuel injectors and 1 door handle. In service for more than 30 days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to keep track of days ours in the shop. WI lemon law is 4 attempts to fix a problem or 30 days in the shop (manager didn't know the lemon law - he said 3 attempts), so by the time we get our car back we'll be over a third of the way there (not wishing to replace it, but just in case).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We got our Niro back today. They had to replace the low voltage battery fuse and latch relay box assembly. They reference Pitstop bulletin PS580 (but I couldn't find any information for this on the web). SO far its working well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts