Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ah! Ok, I see that now. Is it me or are they the same feature technically? My 2017 EX has neither feature so I wouldn't know. What are the differences?
Lane Departure Warning is just that, a warning that you are moving out of your lane. The car cannot do anything to prevent it other than warn the driver.

Lane Keep Assist is an active feature, it provides assistance in keeping the car in the lane. It uses the same sensors and logic as LDW, but adds the ability for the ECU to steer the car back into the center of the lane. In most if not all cars with LKA you can disable the A part and the system then acts in the same manner as one with LDW.

Some people like the assistance feature, some hate it. I've used it a few times and while it's neat tech that can be useful in some circumstances, it has a lot of limitations and doesn't work reliably enough in my opinion to be worth keeping on all the time. If you are not used to it, LKA can cause the car to behave in ways you don't expect, which can be dangerous in an emergency.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have a 2018 with advanced tech and there is a dedicated off button to disable LKAS. Turns out no matter which choice I set on the menu (LDW, standard or active LKAS), this button disables all for that trip. So no beeps for crossing lines.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts