Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed that it is virtually impossible to keep a Niro even decently clean in the winter? I know I live in a filthy winter environment where the roads are usually covered in salt but this is nuts. I've had other hatchbacks and minivans (currently own a 2014 Dodge Caravan) and yes they get dirty on the tailgates but not to the point where the taillights are quickly virtually invisible. I expect to wear out the rear wiper in short order and will probably have a scratched rear window come spring. What I save in fuel, I may eat up in car washes!

Overall, I love this vehicle but this particular aspect is VERY annoying, particularly with a "non-powered" liftgate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a 2017 Jeep Compass. That car has a similar trait to my Niro. The three other sides remain pretty clean while the tailgate is filthy. Both cars have a similarly shaped rear spoiler.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You must have a black Niro :D

I got the pewter(?) color for this reason - my black Audi is a dirt magnet and I didn't want another dirt magnet. It hides dirt pretty well, and I park next to a black Niro almost every day and it's always noticeably dirtier than mine even though I haven't washed mine in like 2 months.

·
Registered
76 Posts
not so much different from my forester neither :( nothing that a garden hose can't spray away once a week though... (i'm not in a permanently subzero area so water and garden hose are compatible here even in winter)

the rear window being coverd of dust/crap/salt) is independent of the color :eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nevermind, I see now that you said it was a white one in your intro post. White usually has the same problem as black, though :D

In my area, there are carwashes where you can buy a monthly membership and you get unlimited washes - every day, if you want to. Might be something to check out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not running mine in the winter this year but even in the summer I'm washing it twice a week to keep it clean I have even pulled the fuse on the rear wiper so I won't accidentally run it and scratch the back window

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I gritted my teeth and bought a month of car washes today to try to limit any salt damage. I'll be getting 3 or 4 washes a week while it lasts! It does look nice clean.

This silver color either shows dirt better than my red PT Cruiser, or doesn't shed dirt as well. My parents recently asked me if their cheap used Chevy branded Daewoo car (also red) had some special treatment as it never needed cleaning. Looked at it, and it did look clean! Wondering if new Niros are not factory waxed?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I gritted my teeth and bought a month of car washes today to try to limit any salt damage. I'll be getting 3 or 4 washes a week while it lasts! It does look nice clean.

This silver color either shows dirt better than my red PT Cruiser, or doesn't shed dirt as well. My parents recently asked me if their cheap used Chevy branded Daewoo car (also red) had some special treatment as it never needed cleaning. Looked at it, and it did look clean! Wondering if new Niros are not factory waxed?
I bought my 2018 Niro at the end of September 2018 and didn’t get around to detailing it till Thanksgiving. The car felt gritty when I first received it and didn’t seem like it had any protection on it when I washed it. I decontaminated (iron remover and clay) the paint and then did a one step polish and sealant with my DA polisher and mild pad and then topped it with Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish and all was right with the world again.

It does seem like the trunk area, and the back window especially, gets dirty easily.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No big loss. The rear window is too small to see anything through it in the rearview mirrow anyway. I find myself completely ignoring it as if I were driving a big truck that has no rearview mirror.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My dealer put some expensive paint coating on my Niro before I found it that might help just a little. I am going to do the ceramic coating on mine in the spring. I hear good thing about it, a guy at work put it on his Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
Mine has the"nano ceramic protect" coating.! it's costy $$, but very effective.!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts