·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree, especially the basic LX.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most of the poor reviews I see cover the following topics
1. lack of smoothness in drivetrain, they say it is what very early hybrids were like, and lacks refinement
2. Rough / poor ride quality
3. not enough EV range (on plugin)
4. cabin noise both external and noises made by vehicle
5. boring body styling

I can agree with 2, the ride is not what it could be.
in regards to 4, it's not as refined as some, but not as bad as they make it out to be

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
1. lack of smoothness in drivetrain, they say it is what very early hybrids were like, and lacks refinement
5. boring body styling
Completely disagree with #1. I thought my PHEV was the smoothest hybrid drivetrain I had ever driven, and the regen blended so well with the brakes that I could never tell when it switched over. #2, depends on what you're comparing it to. 3, I can't argue with that. 35 miles would have been much better, along with an electric cabin heater. 4, never thought it was bad. It still has an engine, so it's going to make some noise like that. #5 is completely subjective.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think that this car is seriously underrated, with the 16's and the independent rear it has to me a nice ride . It probably depends on lf you're a hipster type or a recently minted senior like me .But I really like the design in and out . As I've mentioned on here before I enjoy that it's not a cvt . Nice big beefy shifter , good . For what I saw of the new Ionic 5 , though that's a BEV I didn't like the interior at all . I know that the Niro hybrid and phev are for mileage but I'd like 20 more hp .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, I think it’s very much underrated. But even Kia doesn’t seem to be hyping it. I recently received an e-mail from Kia America with the subject line “Get to know Kia better”. There was no mention of the Niro in that e-mail, although they did mention the Stinger, and I occasionally get e-mails from Kia advertising the Telluride.

I was asked about a year ago “what was my favorite car” in my 45 years of owning cars (I bought my first car at 15: it was a 10 year old 1966 Chevy Caprice with a 396 V8 and it cost me $200, I drove it for 1 year and then the frame wouldn’t pass inspection 1 year after I bought it - I was living in Maine where they put a lot of salt on the road in the winter). I responded to that question that the Niro was my favorite car. It’s not the most comfortable ride I’ve ever owned (the Audi 100 LS was the most comfortable), but I really love the Niro technology. And also, I had to spend as much time under the hood with the Audi as I did driving it.

Today I filled the tank in preparation for a road trip. When I updated my Fuelly account with the new information, I discovered that it had been 13 months since my last fill-up. I work from home and a full tank gives the PHEV over 600 miles range, so I can’t really complain about the EV range: it works very well for me. The 26 mile EV range on the PHEV works for me, most of the time, because I mostly make a lot of short trips around town, and I get to charge in between trips.

Also – I really like the drivetrain. My 2018 PHEV shifts smoothly (most of the time) and unlike some alternatives, it’s a geared transmission, not a CVT. I’ve read lots of comments about people complaining that a CVT makes a lot of noise at high speed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
5. boring body styling

in regards to 4, it's not as refined as some, but not as bad as they make it out to be
My 2 cents is:

1. I think it's fine. My shifing is very smooth, brakes are fine.
2. I think it rides very good. It's very comfortable for our trips up and down the east coast.
3. N/A
4. It does seem a little noisy depending on the type of pavement but it's not terrible.
5. I like the style. It's one of the reasons I bought a Niro over another Prius. I hated the restyle of the Gen.4 Prius.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There may be some misunderstanding here. The 4 points I listed were what I was seeing in the reviews online regarding the niro. They are not my opinion.
Although I tend to agree the ride could be better and the range could be a little more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
5. boring body styling

I agree that the Niro is underrated, and the sales are not that high, but it may change with increasing gasoline prices, currently in CA over $4.50/Gal.
1. it is true that the DCT is not as smooth as automatic, but is is very efficient, the shifting also depends on your driving style. After little practice it is possible to drive in such a way that you will hardly feel the shifts.
2. the ride with 16" wheels is pretty good
4. it is true that the engine is not the quietest and the original Michelin tires can be (and are) very noisy at certain speed
5. it is the eye of the beholder, but the visibility from the vehicle is pretty good

I personally like the shifter it is easy to use by feel only.
Do not like the touch buttons on dashboard, because they are impossible to use without looking at them.
I like the regenerative brakes as they have "normal feel' and work very well.
Do not like the foot parking brake which is very difficult to use in an emergency.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I definitely think the Niro is underrated. The only reason this concerns me if it caused KIA to discontinue the Niro. My 2018 PHEV has had zero issues so far. More EV range would have been nice but for our situation, we rarely use gas except for occasional shopping trips outside our community. Even then I appreciate running the gas engine. It's essentially an electric car for us. The interior size meets our needs especially with the back seats down. If the vehicle was any larger mileage would have been reduced especially for the PHEV. I retired last year so we're hoping to make a trip cross country next year to visit some national parks and enjoy driving through some beautiful states along the way. We want to take our trip before the five year bumper to bumper warranty expires. Hopefully gas will come down in price by then but regardless, the Niro can be counted on to maximize gas mileage and to provide an enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
5. boring body styling
Well, compared to say the still fresh looking Kia Soul, that is pretty factual. Yes, compared to similar sized "SUVs", the styling, while well executed, is generic and thus boring is still factual. You may like looking at it in your driveway, but line it up with 15 other similarly sized cars, it doesn't stick out in any way, good or bad. Design goals met.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
I know that the Niro hybrid and PHEV are for mileage but I'd like 20 more hp .
Exactly why I didn't stick with my PHEV. 60 HP was simply too low for some of my driving. When you have hills, it's not powerful enough. I think 90 HP would have been enough to make me happy, although having 200 EV HP now is far more fun to drive.

But in the PHEV world Toyota upped the ante with the RAV4 Prime. Almost 50 EV miles, plenty of EV horsepower, and the top trim has an electric heater so no ICE needed for cabin heat. If one could actually buy one right now somewhere other than CA (and without $5-10,000 additional markup), I'd probably have one now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention that I've grown to really appreciate about our black 2018 PHEV is the blue accents on the outside of the car. When we first purchased our Niro I had mixed feelings about those blue accents. But as time went on, I began to realize how many black SUVs there are and yet how quickly I can spot our Niro in a crowded parking lot because of those blue accents. I've also increased my appreciation of how they look too, unique.

·
Registered
164 Posts
under rated because of conservative design and it's an hybrid. on top of that, it's a DCT most Americans are not familiar with unlike the Europeans. I like to see next gen coming in a year have the IVT at least for the American market and solve all the concerns users complaining about with noise, jumpy, not refined, and etc. I am sure IVT will bump the MPG further up.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
16 Posts
Full EV owner here - I think it's very much underrated. The range is fantastic, it drives great, is VERY cost effective (Half the cost to lease and operate as my 13 year old Subaru) , and the torque is simply absurd. It's a subtle little car that ticks so many of the boxes but most people have probably never heard of. It's the quiet kid in the corner that gets straight A's but doesn't tell anyone. I just love it. And I laugh now everytime I hear someone saying "I need to get gas because I'm getting low". It's just fantastic and I can't say enough good things about it. Oh - and the sound system is excellent!

My only two complaints are with the ground clearance and FWD. I sometimes get wheel slippage on dry concrete at 65 mph if I floor it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts