Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
It's just another name for CVT , infinitely variable transmission
I think the "I" usually refers to "Intelligent" which is very much the same as CVT.
Reminds me of active cruise control vs smart cruise - all the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
I admit I've never heard the term IVT, but it makes sense. I've driven cars with CVTs. I had a rental Subaru Forester for a couple of months, and the engine droning drove me nuts. I still ended up buying a Subaru, but it was the Outback with the 6 cylinder engine. One could almost never tell it was a CVT, because the engine had so much power. But it also sucked gas, which is why I traded it for the Niro PHEV.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh Ok CVT is what's in the Prius. I think that's one advantage the Niro has over the Prius. The DCT in the Niro has a direct conncection and I think that squeaks out a mile or 2 better mpg's.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've had my Niro for almost exactly 3 years now, 57k miles. I still absolutely love it. It's needed NOTHING in that time besides oil changes and a new set of wiper blades. The factory tires even still have quite a bit of life left. That's partly why this is my first post in this forum in 2 years - there wasn't really anything left to talk about, everything on the car just does what it's supposed to. In that regard, I guess it's a boring car :ROFLMAO: Last year I bought a Grand Cherokee 4x4, which is another phenomenal car, but for different reasons. All my attention has been focused on that GC lately, beefing it up and building it out for offroading. Been admittedly not giving my Niro much love recently. But the Niro has been a fantastic daily driver, and it's still what I drive 90% of the time. It not only gets twice as many miles on a tank of gas, but the tank of gas also costs half as much.

It truly is the perfect car for someone who just wants a car that WORKS. Does exactly what it's supposed to, and gets you from A to B as cheaply and comfortably as possible, with zero hassle. I plan to own it until the day it dies, at which point I'll replace it probably with whatever the current Niro-like thing from Kia is. But I expect it'll be another 10 years before that happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I think it’s very much underrated. But even Kia doesn’t seem to be hyping it. I recently received an e-mail from Kia America with the subject line “Get to know Kia better”. There was no mention of the Niro in that e-mail, although they did mention the Stinger, and I occasionally get e-mails from Kia advertising the Telluride.

I was asked about a year ago “what was my favorite car” in my 45 years of owning cars (I bought my first car at 15: it was a 10 year old 1966 Chevy Caprice with a 396 V8 and it cost me $200, I drove it for 1 year and then the frame wouldn’t pass inspection 1 year after I bought it - I was living in Maine where they put a lot of salt on the road in the winter). I responded to that question that the Niro was my favorite car. It’s not the most comfortable ride I’ve ever owned (the Audi 100 LS was the most comfortable), but I really love the Niro technology. And also, I had to spend as much time under the hood with the Audi as I did driving it.

Today I filled the tank in preparation for a road trip. When I updated my Fuelly account with the new information, I discovered that it had been 13 months since my last fill-up. I work from home and a full tank gives the PHEV over 600 miles range, so I can’t really complain about the EV range: it works very well for me. The 26 mile EV range on the PHEV works for me, most of the time, because I mostly make a lot of short trips around town, and I get to charge in between trips.

Also – I really like the drivetrain. My 2018 PHEV shifts smoothly (most of the time) and unlike some alternatives, it’s a geared transmission, not a CVT. I’ve read lots of comments about people complaining that a CVT makes a lot of noise at high speed.
I so agree, Best car I've ever had!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2 cents is:

1. I think it's fine. My shifing is very smooth, brakes are fine.
2. I think it rides very good. It's very comfortable for our trips up and down the east coast.
3. N/A
4. It does seem a little noisy depending on the type of pavement but it's not terrible.
5. I like the style. It's one of the reasons I bought a Niro over another Prius. I hated the restyle of the Gen.4 Prius.
we have had a 2027 ex , first we leased it then bought, Traded my Soul in on it, like it more than the Prius, can carry 2 medical scooters and baggage on our trips and it doesn't affect the great mileage, even mor comfortable than the Soul and I loved my soul, the Niro has lots of legroom Being over 6 foot it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven since my 56 Cadillac sedan deville.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we have had a 2027 ex , first we leased it then bought, Traded my Soul in on it, like it more than the Prius, can carry 2 medical scooters and baggage on our trips and it doesn't affect the great mileage, even mor comfortable than the Soul and I loved my soul, the Niro has lots of legroom Being over 6 foot it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven since my 56 Cadillac sedan deville.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most of the poor reviews I see cover the following topics
1. lack of smoothness in drivetrain, they say it is what very early hybrids were like, and lacks refinement
2. Rough / poor ride quality
3. not enough EV range (on plugin)
4. cabin noise both external and noises made by vehicle
5. boring body styling

I can agree with 2, the ride is not what it could be.
in regards to 4, it's not as refined as some, but not as bad as they make it out to be
1. I notice the occasional rough shift. And the move to CVTs probably makes those shifts even more pronounced for some. But it is a responsive transmission. Not an entirely unfair point, but also overstated in the reviews that have mentioned it.
2. If it were a "hot hatch" instead of a "crossover," no one would think twice. I do wish the ride were smoother, but it isn't the worst ride. It is worse than others in its class, so I tend to agree with this one, too.
3. I'm hoping the next refresh fixes this. 26 miles was good at the time, but it is overdue for an upgrade. If it were rated for 35, it would be a lot more popular, and over 40 would put it ahead of most of the competition.
4. This is another one where the "crossover" designation hurts it. The road noise is fairly normal for a smallish car. But it is noisier than most crossovers. This has been my biggest disappointment with the Niro.
5. Another one where the Niro shows its age. Boring styling was alright when people just wanted to not drive a Prius or something. But I would definitely buy a Soul PHEV if I could, since that styling remains fresh.

I think the Niro is rated rather appropriately when it is remembered. It is too often forgotten.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We love our 18 PHEV, but fwiw Consumer Reports does not rate the 2018 Niro high either on reliability or on customer satisfaction. 2019 is somewhat better. They do not rate the PHEV, presumably because too few subscribers have the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally think the Kia Niro is terribly underrated.
Agree. Been driving my 2018 LX for 3 years - most reliable car I've owned thus far. And compared to the 2010 Prius (also bought new), so much better. The Prius had a slight edge for interior space, but that's about it. (Had glitchy brake response, starter battery drained frequently...needing jump, and last but not least: inverter failure, which Toyota fixed, but failure could have been catastrophic if it had occurred 3 minutes after it did, while approaching the on ramp to interstate. )
Niro's Sport selector on shifter gives a nice boost on power when needed, and 12v reset button has helped me a couple of time as well.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ok...What's IVT?
My initial guess would have been "Infinitely Variable Transmission" as a an alternate to CVT. However, a quick google search turns up the Hyundai "Intelligent Variable Transmission" which seems like a marketing wank trade name for a bog standard CVT.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
My initial guess would have been "Infinitely Variable Transmission" as a an alternate to CVT. However, a quick google search turns up the Hyundai "Intelligent Variable Transmission" which seems like a marketing wank trade name for a bog standard CVT.
Yup, "intelligent" sounds way better than "constant".
Has to be worth thousands of $$'s more :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Isn't a CVT, IVT or whatever you want to call it just a gussied up version of the hydrostatic transmission on my lawn tractor?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
Isn't a CVT, IVT or whatever you want to call it just a gussied up version of the hydrostatic transmission on my lawn tractor?
No, it is like the 2 pulley with a belt transmission you would find in a snowmobile and scooters.
The pulleys move against spring pressure based on torque and speed required by operator and effectively change gear ratio infinitely and constantly to provide the correct gear ratio. Small pulley driving big pulley provides for low gear to start moving and then it will eventually become large pulley driving small pulley for high speed and best mpg.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh Thanks. The lawn tractor works by varying the pressure of the transmission fluid, right?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts