Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
We love our 18 PHEV, but fwiw Consumer Reports does not rate the 2018 Niro high either on reliability or on customer satisfaction. 2019 is somewhat better. They do not rate the PHEV, presumably because too few subscribers have the car.
I think CR is way to hard on the Niro we just love our
PHEV 2019 most trouble free car I've ever had!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly, Kia as a brand is severly underrated. I hear a lot of ridiculous comments like "It's just a Kia" or "X lost to a Kia in a race, how the heck?" Kia has come a long way in the past decade with the introduction of that newer Kia K5/Optima in 2010 (introduced as the 2011 model year) and have been doing great things since then. Reliability and Customer satisfaction has been top-notch. Thus, Kia has been "killing it" for over a decade. However, we keep hearing ridiculous remarks like "Kia is starting to kill it". I give up on car reviewers. People will always have Bias in their minds against Kia because they are unwilling to remove old perceptions pertaining to the brand.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
Honestly, Kia as a brand is severely underrated.
I concur. I too use to joke about the Korean cars, until I suddenly realized they were no longer the cheap econoboxes of the '90s. If the new EVs had been available in August, I likely would still be driving a Niro. I don't really regret getting the Bolt, but I can absolutely see me getting back into a Kia or Hyundai when this lease is up. The EV6 and Ioniq 5 will both be easily available by then, and perhaps even something better.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
369 Posts
We bought our 2019 KIA NIRO PHEV EX in May of 2019. I has only owned Toyota's since 1985 when I became fed up with Big 3 quality problems in previous vehicles. I had great experiences with the Toyota vehicles.

Did a lot of research before buying the KIA NIRO. I was hesitant to buy a vehicle by another maker other than Toyota. After much research went ahead and traded in our 2008 Toyota Prius for our 2019 NIRO. After 2 1/2 years and 35,000 trouble free miles I am very impressed with this KIA vehicle. At the time we bought it we found it was for us by far the best value dollar for dollar in the PHEV market at the time. It has made a believer out of me.

Fast forward to the end of 2020 and we needed a new vehicle to replace our 2004 Toyota Sienna with over 150,000 miles on it. Based on our experience with the KIA brand I shopped for the best value on a vehicle that met our needs from all the automakers. Once again it was a Korean built vehicle that best met our needs for a quality vehicle at the best value. We ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe SEL FWD 2.4l that had every imaginable safety feature and a 5 star crash rating that actually cost about the same as what we paid for our Toyota Sienna in 2004.

For us the Korean vehicles offered the best value of any automaker we shopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought our 2019 KIA NIRO PHEV EX in May of 2019. I has only owned Toyota's since 1985 when I became fed up with Big 3 quality problems in previous vehicles. I had great experiences with the Toyota vehicles.

Did a lot of research before buying the KIA NIRO. I was hesitant to buy a vehicle by another maker other than Toyota. After much research went ahead and traded in our 2008 Toyota Prius for our 2019 NIRO. After 2 1/2 years and 35,000 trouble free miles I am very impressed with this KIA vehicle. At the time we bought it we found it was for us by far the best value dollar for dollar in the PHEV market at the time. It has made a believer out of me.

Fast forward to the end of 2020 and we needed a new vehicle to replace our 2004 Toyota Sienna with over 150,000 miles on it. Based on our experience with the KIA brand I shopped for the best value on a vehicle that met our needs from all the automakers. Once again it was a Korean built vehicle that best met our needs for a quality vehicle at the best value. We ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe SEL FWD 2.4l that had every imaginable safety feature and a 5 star crash rating that actually cost about the same as what we paid for our Toyota Sienna in 2004.

For us the Korean vehicles offered the best value of any automaker we shopped.
Yah you can't go wrong with anything made by Hyundai Motorgroup (Kia, Hyundai and Genesis). I used to own a 2018 Kia Optima SX. It had 68,000 miles on it before I traded it in for a 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance. I miss that car dearly. Whilst Teslas are great, their ride quality, interior quality and exterior quality are NOT the best. Kia's ride quality in my opinion is up there and exceeds many other auto makers.

My family too are Toyota drivers. I don't think Toyota quality is better than Kia quality. What I do think though is Toyota customer service in North America is better than Kia customer service (that isn't Kia of Korea's fault).

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
83 Posts
I think the rating is almost fine. It has a few design issues and here are my concerns about my Kia Niro EV 2020:
  • Unreliable Android Auto connection to phone (it is via USB cable but not wireless; it disconnects sometimes and I changed several cables/cleaned the ports and no success) --> safety issue.
  • Shiny dash --> safety issue.
  • No WiFi hotspot.
  • No side camera to assist driver.
  • I still could not update its software via its USB port (need to go to dealer to fix its issue).

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
369 Posts
Here is a video from a KIA Salesman explaining his take on why a NIRO should be a bestseller but isn't.
The video is from Canada, so the measurements and models discussed are Canadian, however the video fits in well with this thread

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
429 Posts
I agree it is underrated and am OK with that because it keeps the price down somewhat.
It is tough enough to find stock - imagine what being overrated would do to those stock numbers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I gave a 19 kia niro hybrid touring it's a great car . I replaced the 18 inch tires with 16 inch , big improvement on ride ,
. By the way I love the way this this thing looks

41 - 51 of 51 Posts