Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car is equipped with UVO, do you use it for anything else besides remote starting & preconditioning the interior temp?
If yes, what do you use it for?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If your car is equipped with UVO, do you use it for anything else besides remote starting & preconditioning the interior temp?
If yes, what do you use it for?
I use it to check the charge level on my PHEV and sometimes I use the Find My Car feature to estimate when my wife will get home from work if she's driving it.

I've used the remote climate a couple of times but that's not something I need normally.

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
I mainly use the app to check charge status and on occasion to turn the A/C on. But I hate the way it turns the flashers on when I do that, so I've only done it when the car's in my garage. Of course, can't do that for heat, since that would start the engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use mine to keep track of trips.I enjoy this feature found under the locations tab that shows a trip history of the car. Recently I started a new post where KIA help center got my UVO app working again for me. The main reason I wanted it was for the trip logging function. I can also see where the car location function could come in very handy if you parked at a large event and forgot where you parked or you wanted to check on where your teenage drive was.

·
Super Moderator
489 Posts
I use mine to keep track of trips.I enjoy this feature found under the locations tab that shows a trip history of the car. Recently I started a new post where KIA help center got my UVO app working again for me. The main reason I wanted it was for the trip logging function. I can also see where the car location function could come in very handy if you parked at a large event and forgot where you parked or you wanted to check on where your teenage drive was.
True, but it appears to have some limitations. It only shows the start and end point of the trip, not the actual path taken. Perhaps its for some privacy issue, but I'm sure their data includes the actual route. Unless the car is simply sending the point when the car is started and stopped, with no enroute updates. I suppose that's reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True, but it appears to have some limitations. It only shows the start and end point of the trip, not the actual path taken. Perhaps its for some privacy issue, but I'm sure their data includes the actual route. Unless the car is simply sending the point when the car is started and stopped, with no enroute updates. I suppose that's reasonable.
Out of about 10 trips, I think there are two that actually show anything on the map for my car. They don't show the route but they do show where I got speed and other alarms. Picture is attached. I'm lucky if UVO even records one way on my round trips. It seems to always record short trips like moving the car from one side of the street to the other, but misses recording 30 minute drives. My opinion at this time is that that part of the UVO is almost worthless. I'm probably spoiled by the myfordmobile app that records the distance for my C-Max trips with good accuracy. I'm now past 6 years on the Ford app and they haven't charged me anything. UVO may be useful for locating the car but I'm not willing to pay much unless the trip recording function improves.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you turn on the geo fence alert and set it to a small area, you will get an alert point every 5 minutes on the map when you are outside the fenced area. There may be a way to change the 5 minute interval between alerts but I didn't see it in the geo fence settings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A while ago when discussing UVO features on either this forum or somewhere else, I realized there are differences in UVO functionality, depending on which country you live and which model car you have. My UVO doesn't have the location tab (neither on the Web or mobile).

If I forget to lock the car it will send a notification to my Apple Watch after a few minutes. Is rare that this happens, but I find it a very convenient function.
I also use to check the State of Charge without having to go outside to determine if I need to hook the car up on my L2 charger.
I also like the monthly status report send by email (health status), although the power consumption is expressed in % and total power consumption is >100% (last report was 292%). Have no idea how they get to these numbers. Maybe actual power usage / power charged. In that case the Regen is very effective! If anyone can explain the attached numbers, please do!

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I was shopping for my Niro about a year ago, the marketing materials discussion about UVO left a lot of unanswered questions. It turns out that there are at least two different sets of UVO technology to think about, and it would be easier to understand this if they weren't both branded as "UVO".

According to this page, UVO is a Microsoft technology. (Good thing for Kia that they didn't advertise that when I was shopping: I have mixed feelings about Microsoft technology). I think the OP was asking about the set of UVO technology that is accessible from a smart phone. But wait, there's more. My EX Premium uses UVO technology to allow me to give voice commands to the car, and that's an in-the-car feature that doesn't depend on a smart phone. So far, I've only found that to be useful when trying to program the navigation system: it's easier to speak an address than to type it. But there are other things you can do with it (like "Call Mom" I guess).

I think of the ability to give voice commands as a second package of UVO technology, because it was a feature that was unique to the EX Premium and because it was not listed in the list of features I would have to pay for when the free subscription expires (for more info on that, see this post).

My view of the Kia Owner's portal for my 2018 PHEV lists at least three different "quick start guides" for UVO, but it looks like two of them are for different versions of the navigation system. The owner's portal also has videos available for instructions on using the UVO features. Not sure if you really have to own a Niro to get access. If you want to see these docs and videos, maybe ask your dealer, or you might try to create an account by visiting https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/en/kia-owner-portal.html/ and see if it's possible to create an account without having a VIN to provide as part of the registration process.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure if you really have to own a Niro to get access. If you want to see these docs and videos, maybe ask your dealer, or you might try to create an account by visiting https://owners.kia.com/content/owners/en/kia-owner-portal.html/ and see if it's possible to create an account without having a VIN to provide as part of the registration process.
I did create an account and could not add my car, getting the error message "your VIN is invalid". I think this portal is exclusive for the USA market (I am in Canada). When I originally tried to get the UVO app working I had several calls into the Canadian Customer Support Center to get my VIN into the database, which is needed so they can a) authenticate you and your car and b) to communicate with the car via the mobile network. So my VIN is in the (Canadian?) database and obviously not in the KIA owners portal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did create an account and could not add my car, getting the error message "your VIN is invalid". I think this portal is exclusive for the USA market (I am in Canada). When I originally tried to get the UVO app working I had several calls into the Canadian Customer Support Center to get my VIN into the database, which is needed so they can a) authenticate you and your car and b) to communicate with the car via the mobile network. So my VIN is in the (Canadian?) database and obviously not in the KIA owners portal.

Maybe you should double check your VIN. Where are you getting the VIN from? The car, or some paperwork related to the car? I had a car registered in Maine for years with an incorrect VIN before I realized the problem (the state never realized the problem). Sometimes an "I" in a VIN gets recorded as a 1, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you turn on the geo fence alert and set it to a small area, you will get an alert point every 5 minutes on the map when you are outside the fenced area. There may be a way to change the 5 minute interval between alerts but I didn't see it in the geo fence settings.
The goefence is a great feature. It is also nice to just look at the location feature to see if your kid made it to the football game and the car is parked at the school.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Maybe you should double check your VIN. Where are you getting the VIN from? The car, or some paperwork related to the car? I had a car registered in Maine for years with an incorrect VIN before I realized the problem (the state never realized the problem). Sometimes an "I" in a VIN gets recorded as a 1, etc.
Don't worry, I have the entered the correct VIN. I am pretty sure this VIN needs to be registered by the dealer in the database behind this web site once a car is sold, and I am 99% convinced this is only USA. When searching for KIA owners portal in Canada all roads lead to https://www.myuvo.ca/login. And I have an account there, the car is known in the database and UVO is working as advertised.
I tried to call customer care today to find out about the web site you mentioned, but they are only open on weekdays.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Geo Fence alerts

Here's an example of the Trips map you get with Geo Fence alerts. It shows the end points of the drive and the alert locations 5 minutes apart. The map zoom feature shows a more exact location for the alert.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to know how it works you can watch this video that I created:

Regards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Square Geo Fence problem

There is an option for either a round or square Geo Fence shape when setting it up. The round fence seems to work OK. I tried the square fence and it gives me alerts while the car is inside the fence area. I did set it up to give alerts on exiting the fence. Just changing the shape back to round eliminated the false alerts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I charge at a free charger near my workplace, and I don't like to "hog" the charger any longer than necessary, so I use UVO to know exactly when my PHEV has reached full charge status.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts