Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little disappointed there is no oil life monitor on my 2017 EX. Just wondering if that feature has been added. All my cars have it and I miss it on the Niro. At least I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
266 Posts
Maybe depending on your point of view-

The Niro's have a service needed reminder. The operator sets this at the oil change or any other interval you want and when the mileage or time expires you will receive a reminder service is needed!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,273 Posts
Yeah, that's just a time/mileage based display. The OP is thinking of a system similar to what GM and others have on many cars that take time and speed driven into account for recommending an oil change. With a hybrid, especially the PHEV, it's certainly possible that engine hasn't run for the entire distance the odometer displays. My PHEV engine probably has half of the displayed 15,000 miles actually running.

But no, the Niro does not have an oil life monitor.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
120 Posts
Little disappointed there is no oil life monitor on my 2017 EX. Just wondering if that feature has been added. All my cars have it and I miss it on the Niro. At least I can't find it anywhere.
Mines doesn't. It only states the miles left before service. I know the Honda Civic I used to have 5 years ago would tell me the oil life. I really don't much attention to that. I look at the color of the oil. Oil wears out so I change it between 6,000 to 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Chevy HHR has one and I change the oil when it gets down to
between 15 and 20%. At that time I have over 10,000 miles on that oil. I have always use Mobile One. I now have 210,000 miles on that car

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,273 Posts
Mines doesn't. It only states the miles left before service. I know the Honda Civic I used to have 5 years ago would tell me the oil life. I really don't much attention to that. I look at the color of the oil. Oil wears out so I change it between 6,000 to 7,000 miles.
Oil doesn't wear out. But the additive package does. My guess is that's what the oil life monitors are looking at.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My 2002 Chevy Venture had one LOL. I think the gauge outlasted the car as it rusted into the ground.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
likely if they put one of those sensors inside the car, it would never tell you to change the oil as the engine gets so little use.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
So the other way to go is to get your oil tested. Real world results beats any algorithm for your unique car. You can do it at any time via buying a devices that sucks oil up via the dipstick access. Or at oil changes just making up a reasonable interval. The latter is what I did for my second oil change at 33,000 miles (25,000 miles on the oil). Blackstone confirmed that the oil (0-20 synthetic) was still good, but not so much life left. So for me, my car, my driving conditions and habits, that gives me the information I need for an informed decision. I'll stick to 20,000 mile oil change intervals going forward for a decent safety margin.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As cheap as a do-it-yourself oil change is even when using Mobil 1 I try never to go over 10,000 miles for an oil change. Pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My Honda Fit and VW Golf both had oil monitors and generally didn't recommend a change till about 10K.
IIRC there are about half a dozen members of this forum who have have driven over 50 K miles and change there oil less frequently than the Kia recommendations (eg Yticolev). I have yet to see a report of any significant oil related engine issues for the Niro's 1.5 L engine. It seems to be a very well built, durable unit.

I plan on changing my oil ~ 12K or two years, whichever comes 1st. Yes, that does expose me to some warranty risk, but at my current rate of ~ 7K miles / year, I'll only have 70K at the end of 10 years and suspect I won't have the car that long. Until I see a few reports to the contrary, I'm not worried about oil related engine issues.

I do get the argument about oil changes being cheap insurance and if that rings you bells, no reason to not go for it other than unnecessary use of natural resource (yes, synthetic oil does start with crude oil).

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
So if you change your oil at 25K mi, does the warranty remain valid?
Not if Kia can show my warranty claim is related to the long oil change interval. Not worried about engine failure or warranty. Too much proven history with such oil changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts