Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quote from Inside Ev's about the Kona EV battery:
able to squeeze some exclusive news for InsideEVs from Hyundai senior Manager of eco and performance powertrains, Jerome Gregeois. Gregeois told me that the Hyundai Kona Electrics sent to North America WILL NOT have active battery heating, unlike the cars going to European countries. Instead, they will only have thermal management with active battery cooling, but not heating. That’s a pretty significant sign to me that Hyundai isn’t serious about selling the Kona electric in the Northern states or Canada, where battery pre-conditioning in the winter months is very important.

I'm hoping that the Niro EV doesn't follow suit

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
Does anyone have any information regarding the Niro ev battery sent to the states?
Hi Cold weather ev...

"According to Kia, the North American version of the 2019 Niro EV will come standard with a heat pump to more efficiently assist with cabin heating and the dedicated battery heater will be an optional feature."

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/

"According to Kia, the North American" i do know that Canadian version will have a heat pump, but do not know for the USA.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hey, we are part of North America! No wall has been proposed yet with partitioning of the continent and renaming the southern half Trump continent. Only then will heat pumps go solely to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
Hey, we are part of North America! No wall has been proposed yet with partitioning of the continent and renaming the southern half Trump continent. Only then will heat pumps go solely to Canada.
:confused:

>In Korea, all Niro's for USA vs all Niro's for Canada are not on the same production cycle.! :|

From what i know from the official specs received from my contact at Kia Canada, the Canadian Niro EV will have a heat pump...! Now will it be the same on the other side of the "border".. i do not know! ;)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We are in North America, and the press release says cars headed for NA will have heat pumps. Nothing else is known. I don't know what you mean by a different production cycle, that would be proprietary information not likely made available to the public. Certainly manufacturers stage rollouts and quantities differently for different countries (and different states and provinces), but we are really talking about trim usually (some engine differences possible too). No question that different countries have different trims that are seldom exactly the same, but how the factory chooses to produce them is an open question. I would assume that for efficiency, each trim will have a certain number of sequential cars produced. Is that what you mean by a different "production cycle"?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link to the article. Good to see that the thermal heating is an option. Hopefully, they will be available in the northern states eventually. We presently have two Ford Cmax Energi's and I wouldn't mind trading one of them on the Niro EV. We already have a level 2 charger in our garage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With thermal heating, it looks like the Winter range drops about 25% in posts I am seeing from Norway. Level 3 charging also varies by soc, midlevel much slower than low level soc when using level 3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a quote from the article:
According to Kia, the North American version of the 2019 Niro EV will come standard with a heat pump to more efficiently assist with cabin heating and the dedicated battery heater will be an optional feature. In the 2020 Soul EV, both the heat pump and battery heater are listed as optional features

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
We are in North America, and the press release says cars headed for NA will have heat pumps. Nothing else is known. I don't know what you mean by a different production cycle
Hello yticolev - To really explained this part, North America has 3 country's and Kia in Korea has production cycles.. that means that when they built Niro's, from a X date too a Y date, they will make for exemple: HEV's for USA models. All code trims will be built for this country.. like yours.. LX w/t advanced tech package.. wich does not exist in Canada. and EX trim with Premium Package,
wich does not exist in Canada, etc.. etc..

USA production cycle is ahead of 6 to 12 months over Canadians production cycle. That means that our FIRST models will be sent to Vancouver port 6 months to 1 year after you receive yours.

Dec 16, you got your HEV and Dec 2017, we got ours.
Dec 17, you got your PHEV, and Dec 18, we got ours.

For the BEV, EV, e-Niro whatever you want too call it, North Korea has some delivered, Europe will have theirs soon, For USA, i would say, not before the summer and in our maple leaf country, we hope before the end of 2019...

Other example: Mexico has only the HEV model for 2019, and 2 trims are available. And just as an example the EX trim has LED headligts like the US PHEV EX Premium trim!

So no, North America models and trims are not made at the same time with the same equipement. That is why, it's called a "production cycle"...

This first drive review by Car and Driver in California a couple days ago is a Niro EV with the promised heat pump.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26144426/2019-kia-niro-ev-driven/

Good news.!! ;)

"optional cold-weather package, which includes a heated steering wheel plus a battery heater and a heat pump for the cabin."

It will be an option either in the EX or EX Premium trim in the USA models, but here, the only EV trim called the SX (like your Ex Premium) will have it as a standard equipement.!

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
I don't know if that is an American phrase, but I think we would call that a production run.
hey man.!! American, Canadian, Swedish, Cambodian!... You can call it whatever you want Mate! it's the fact!;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
US Niro EV Cold Weather Package 2.0

@map70 - this is what I'm seeing as well.

The US version Niro EV's Cold Weather Package 2.0 (includes Battery Heater and Heat Pump) is available ONLY as an Option, is not standard equipment, but is optional on both EX and EX Premium models for the $1080 MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
I would watch out for that trick. There are some options at are options, and some that are manditory but still listed as an option. Like for instance, when I bought on of my old fords, it listed Daytime Running lights, except you had no choice but to have them as they are required for Canada. I am sure they listed a Winter Package too, and when pressed as to what that is, was told it was defrost mode, and the rear defroster. I don't think they will ley you buy a car without them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would watch out for that trick. There are some options at are options, and some that are manditory but still listed as an option. Like for instance, when I bought on of my old fords, it listed Daytime Running lights, except you had no choice but to have them as they are required for Canada. I am sure they listed a Winter Package too, and when pressed as to what that is, was told it was defrost mode, and the rear defroster. I don't think they will ley you buy a car without them.
This looks correct and not a scam, although the build & price is now on Kia's website but no mention of the heater. In the Stickers I have seen then seem to remove the EX Premium option for the homelink and ventilated seats... I have no idea why...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts