Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, initial tests indicates ~5a at idle in park, and ~35a at steady (no regen) 35mpg.

Note: 5a is 1800 watts, >L1 EVSE rate. 35A is 12.6 Kw rate! >>> L2 EVSE.

Using my obd2 reader and the car scanner app, I could see charging from regen braking and in sport mode. My battery was almost full so the charging stopped after a short time. I'll d o more testing after I run a few errands today and lower the SOC of the battery.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Yes, initial tests indicates ~5a at idle in park, and ~35a at steady (no regen) 35mpg.

Note: 5a is 1800 watts, >L1 EVSE rate. 35A is 12.6 Kw rate! >>> L2 EVSE.

Using my obd2 reader and the car scanner app, I could see charging from regen braking and in sport mode. My battery was almost full so the charging stopped after a short time. I'll d o more testing after I run a few errands today and lower the SOC of the battery.
I'm assuming you meant 35 MPH, not MPG on your first line. :)

The factory L1 EVSE is capable of 12 amps, so at idle it's probably barely putting in more than what's coming out. Of course, that 12 amps is only at 110v. The onboard charger is only capable of 3.3 kW, so it would seem that at speed it would charge far faster than when connected at home. But in real life I haven't found that to be the case. If it were kicking 12 kW into the battery, it would (theoretically) completely charge a "dead" (really about 16% SoC) in around 30 minutes. But I have found that even a two hour drive at freeway speeds it never brought the SoC to more that maybe 85%, and that wasn't with a drained battery to begin with. When I drove to Ellensburg back in August, I switched to Sport mode after using about 8 miles of displayed range (so showing about 16 miles). When I arrived at Ellensburg, it was back to 20-21. I spent a couple of hours driving around town in EV mode, and when we hit the freeway for home it was about 8 miles remaining. About 15 minutes from home, I had it back up to about 16-17 and used EV mode the remainder of the way.

Thanks for sharing the data you recorded. What OBD connector are you using, and what app? If it's an Android app (like Torque), is there something similar for iOS?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts