Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've poked around here occasionally over the last few years. Just nothing to offer.
I haven't seen much here regarding head gasket failure.
I am currently in the middle of a debacle. Here's my story:

Currently in Wilson Kia Service Limbo. Sadly the only KIA dealer in Jackson Mississippi for 200 miles.

2017 Niro 84k

2/4/2021 taken to service, NO HEAT. Service response = "coolant low, flush needed".
$181 procedure when a top off would have (purportedly) fixed the issue. Why was the coolant low in the first place hmm?

3/30/2021 taken to service, not quite 8 weeks later, same problem, NO HEAT. This time accompanied by OVERHEATING, and BLOWING WHITE SMOKE UPON ACCELERATION.
Service response = coolant low, needs thermostat, needs ?switch. Parts not on hand - need ordered.
Once again, where is the coolant going? Dry as a bone underneath.

4/13/2021 Parts ordered and on hand, vehicle available to be dropped off.
Service response = you're going to have to wait another week, we're too busy. WTF?

4/15/2021 I'm outside the car, it's on, but engine is off. Temperature is in range.
The motor starts and I see a puff of white smoke. It smells of coolant.

I've made the dealer clear of this, but they are seriously giving zero shits.

My appointment is Monday the 19th. Until then I can only drive city streets for my commutes (she overheats on the interstate), and keep it in Battery mode for as long as possible. Works thus far. No overheats, and I'm bangin' 52 mpg on average. Still goes through about a cup of coolant daily.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
Hello everyone. I've poked around here occasionally over the last few years. Just nothing to offer.

Currently in Wilson Kia Service Limbo. Sadly the only KIA dealer in Jackson Mississippi for 200 miles.

2017 Niro 84k

2/4/2021 taken to service, NO HEAT. Service response = "coolant low, flush needed".
$181 procedure when a top off would have (purportedly) fixed the issue. Why was the coolant low in the first place hmm?

3/30/2021 taken to service, not quite 8 weeks later, same problem, NO HEAT. This time accompanied by OVERHEATING, and BLOWING WHITE SMOKE UPON ACCELERATION.
Service response = coolant low, needs thermostat, needs ?switch. Parts not on hand - need ordered.

Service response = you're going to have to wait another week, we're too busy. WTF?

4/15/2021 I'm outside the car, it's on, but engine is off. Temperature is in range.

My appointment is Monday the 19th. Until then I can only drive city streets for my commutes (she overheats on the interstate), and keep it in Battery mode for as long as possible. Works thus far. No overheats, and I'm bangin' 52 mpg on average. Still goes through about a cup of coolant daily.

Thoughts?
I hope you still have powertrain warranty and also suggest you consider a different dealer..

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
I agree about the head gasket. And I'd look for another dealer. Perhaps even reach out to Kia customer care and describe the problem you're having with the dealer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Even I know it's the Head Gasket! You need to make a stink with Kia. Find out who the zone manager is and make some noise. Having your car out of service over 2 months for such an obvious problem is terrible. I hope you have a loaner. Time to take the gloves off also find out who the general manager of the dealership is an demand action. Did you buy the car there?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just reread your post and see you've been using the car. I would live it at the dealer demand a loaner and have them FIX it! If you bought the car there they really owe you better treatment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.
I bought the car at a reputable dealer in Cleveland Ohio.
Relocated here in Jackson for work.
Night and day different omg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all, a little update:
Monday April 19, 2021, finally dropped the car at Wilson Kia 0730 a.m.
Service response at 1700 p.m. same day = we ordered the wrong parts.
Thanks, took all day to figure that out.
Another day shall pass.

Tuesday April 20, 2021, dropped car once again.
This time they installed the new thermostat and ?switch.
I picked up the car that evening and further inquired to the coolant and white smoke.
Service response = It was the thermostat causing the issue (no concern with my descriptions).

I have driven it a week now and I still smell coolant on the regular.
Dealer is claiming "normal" for a car my age. WTH?
I've only noticed a bit a coolant down, but still white smoke on every acceleration.

I shall update.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
Hello all, a little update:
Monday April 19, 2021, finally dropped the car at Wilson Kia 0730 a.m.
Service response at 1700 p.m. same day = we ordered the wrong parts.
Thanks, took all day to figure that out.
Another day shall pass.

Tuesday April 20, 2021, dropped car once again.
This time they installed the new thermostat and ?switch.
I picked up the car that evening and further inquired to the coolant and white smoke.
Service response = It was the thermostat causing the issue (no concern with my descriptions).

I have driven it a week now and I still smell coolant on the regular.
Dealer is claiming "normal" for a car my age. WTH?
I've only noticed a bit a coolant down, but still white smoke on every acceleration.

I shall update.
Thermostat would not cause the white smoke!
Not normal for any car!!!
Time to call Kia head office and demand action.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Techy is right! Time to confront the mechanic that worked on the car. Ask him how a bad thermosat lets coolant into the cylinder to get heated to go out the exhaust as white smoke.

·
Registered
1 Posts

2017 Niro 84k

Thoughts?
We have a 2017 Niro FE (with 99K, presently). We started having issues approx 14 mos ago. First coolant leaks under the driver seat area- that turned out to be a failed heat recovery system tied to the hybrid engine that recovers heat from the exhaust pipe. Kia was unwilling, initially, to cover the cost ($1700) but eventually paid for all of it. 6 weeks after getting it back the check engine light came on again. (This sounds more to your issue now)- after parts exchanged and 6 weeks in the dealership, it was found the head gasket had failed. The dealership told me they have 5-6 month of these and the remedy should be an engine swap rather than the repair.
Stay on the dealer and file a claim with Kia- they offer "forgiveness" programs if you open a case with them.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello all,
It's been 20 days since the "repair".
The coolant in the reservoir tank is now below the ADD line.
I had an unusually long service call yesterday, 185 mile r/t all interstate.
For the first time REALLY noticed puffs of white smoke on acceleration even on cruise control. Not a ton, but a cloud each time that quickly dissipated.

So upon my return I went to the Dealer and asked for a "top off". Mostly just to prove my point lol
Service response = 'topped off claiming there was likely a bubble in the system after the thermostat replacement." Okay that IS valid. So I'm gonna see what happens over a week or two.

Kia corporate is now involved.
I have an appointment specifically to have the motor looked at the 12th next week. But it's the same dealer, same tech....so...
Who knows.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
Hello all,
It's been 20 days since the "repair".
The coolant in the reservoir tank is now below the ADD line.
I had an unusually long service call yesterday, 185 mile r/t all interstate.
For the first time REALLY noticed puffs of white smoke on acceleration even on cruise control. Not a ton, but a cloud each time that quickly dissipated.

So upon my return I went to the Dealer and asked for a "top off". Mostly just to prove my point lol
Service response = 'topped off claiming there was likely a bubble in the system after the thermostat replacement." Okay that IS valid. So I'm gonna see what happens over a week or two.

Kia corporate is now involved.
I have an appointment specifically to have the motor looked at the 12th next week. But it's the same dealer, same tech....so...
Who knows.
A good tech would not let the vehicle leave the shop with an air bubble in the cooling system. That is simply an excuse and not the problem especially when the "white smoke" is factored in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts