Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I ask this question in the right spot...I have the 2018 Niro Graphite Ed. and going to the drive in`s tomorrow night. Is it better to tune into the radio station and watch the 1 1/2 to 2 hr movie with the Niro ignition pushed on or in AUX mode?

Any comments or answers will greatly be appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I don't think it makes much of a difference, but if you turn the car "on", it is not going to annoy you with alerts to turn off. It might start the engine once in a while (you may be able to avoid that if you don't hold the brake down when you "start"), especially if you are using the AC. If the 12 V battery does go flat, you get to test the recharge button! Or utilize the free roadside assistance Kia offers.

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
hum.!!! drive in movie.!! never tought about that one!..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have never been to a drive in movie and I assume the sound comes from random speakers placed around the venue. Can cars handle the radio playing for 2 hours in general while the engine is off?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have never been to a drive in movie and I assume the sound comes from random speakers placed around the venue. Can cars handle the radio playing for 2 hours in general while the engine is off?

Folks have been using car radios for sound at drive inns for decades! This was of course when cars actually had a pretty good 12 volt battery that could handle all those "B" movie classics! To ask a car to run the radio was a given back then, now not so much.....

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would turn car on so that if the battery depletes while watching movie, the engine will briefly turn on to replenish and you won't be getting the annoying warning messages on the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies...update the Niro did great went with the "engine on" no problems. Thanks again cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.
I did this in a 1979 Buick - took us three folks to push start it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope I ask this question in the right spot...I have the 2018 Niro Graphite Ed. and going to the drive in`s tomorrow night. Is it better to tune into the radio station and watch the 1 1/2 to 2 hr movie with the Niro ignition pushed on or in AUX mode?

Any comments or answers will greatly be appreciated...thanks
Thanks for asking I was wondering the samething!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Does anybody else remember the little electric heaters you hung on the window next to the speaker in the winter?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts