Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I ask this question in the right spot...I have the 2018 Niro Graphite Ed. and going to the drive in`s tomorrow night. Is it better to tune into the radio station and watch the 1 1/2 to 2 hr movie with the Niro ignition pushed on or in AUX mode?

Any comments or answers will greatly be appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I don't think it makes much of a difference, but if you turn the car "on", it is not going to annoy you with alerts to turn off. It might start the engine once in a while (you may be able to avoid that if you don't hold the brake down when you "start"), especially if you are using the AC. If the 12 V battery does go flat, you get to test the recharge button! Or utilize the free roadside assistance Kia offers.

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
hum.!!! drive in movie.!! never tought about that one!..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have never been to a drive in movie and I assume the sound comes from random speakers placed around the venue. Can cars handle the radio playing for 2 hours in general while the engine is off?

Folks have been using car radios for sound at drive inns for decades! This was of course when cars actually had a pretty good 12 volt battery that could handle all those "B" movie classics! To ask a car to run the radio was a given back then, now not so much.....

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The specific issue with most hybrids including the Niro is a much smaller capacity 12 V battery. So even two hours of radio has the potential to run it flat. Not likely in my opinion, but there will be a lot of annoying alerts. Regular ICE cars that depend on a 12 V battery to crank the engine have multiple times the capacity of our cars, and running the radio is trivial.

I once lost my alternator on a long trip and the idiot light came on. I assumed the light was broken and drove on. After some time, the car wouldn't run if the radio was on! Very light car, so I was able to push start it unaided and the spark plugs required so little energy I managed to go a hundred miles or so to the next city (I was on the Natchez Trace Parkway) to get it fixed (with the radio off). No computer chips in that car - would never be able to do that again in any modern car.
I did this in a 1979 Buick - took us three folks to push start it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope I ask this question in the right spot...I have the 2018 Niro Graphite Ed. and going to the drive in`s tomorrow night. Is it better to tune into the radio station and watch the 1 1/2 to 2 hr movie with the Niro ignition pushed on or in AUX mode?

Any comments or answers will greatly be appreciated...thanks
Thanks for asking I was wondering the samething!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.