Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually when I am in EV mode on my PHEV, the drive information mpg is 999.9 until I've used up my 26 electric miles. Lately it has been showing me 50-90 mpg when I still have juice in the battery. Did i accidentally change a setting or has something gone wrong.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That means the gas engine kicked on at some point either by
a) you accelerated hard (anything over about half throttle).
b) it's fall and getting cool. in EV mode the engine will turn on if heat is called for. It will run the engine steady at about 2000 rpm until the coolant is hot then shut off. During that time the engine charges the battery so it is in fact using the most efficient possible gas burn.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
100 Posts
I don't find the dash MPG displays particularly useful. Fortunately, and as discussed elsewhere, I can use my OBD2 scanner in conjunction with the Torque Pro app to record and calculate various PHEV parameters. My goal was to calculate MPG during the following intervals:
  1. While engine running
  2. Overall trip average
As can be seen in the graph, those two calculations are much different. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to isolate periods in which engine is running by itself. I believe there was a brief period around X-value of 300+ during which both motor and engine were adding torque due to the rapid acceleration in speed. This is probably what caused the brief spike in MPG. My formula sets Engine MPG to zero during periods in which the engine was off.
InstMPG.PNG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually when I am in EV mode on my PHEV, the drive information mpg is 999.9 until I've used up my 26 electric miles. Lately it has been showing me 50-90 mpg when I still have juice in the battery. Did i accidentally change a setting or has something gone wrong.
Mine has changed to that too! I hate it! I loved the challenge of keeping it at 999 or building it back up to 999 if I've used gas. It was fun to coast down hills to keep the mpg up, now it's just like driving any other car. 😢

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,750 Posts
Mine has changed to that too! I hate it! I loved the challenge of keeping it at 999 or building it back up to 999 if I've used gas. It was fun to coast down hills to keep the mpg up, now it's just like driving any other car. 😢
Because the engine is running to provide cabin heat. You can't avoid it during the winter, but once it warms up you can be back to using no gas. And no, it's still not like driving any other car. When my engine is running for heat, it's only a bit over idle speed. I generally show 150-175 MPG once the engine has warmed up a bit. You can't do that with any other car, other than another PHEV. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because the engine is running to provide cabin heat. You can't avoid it during the winter, but once it warms up you can be back to using no gas. And no, it's still not like driving any other car. When my engine is running for heat, it's only a bit over idle speed. I generally show 150-175 MPG once the engine has warmed up a bit. You can't do that with any other car, other than another PHEV. :D
Right now I'm only getting 64mpg! But thanks for the heater heads up.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Right now I'm only getting 64mpg! But thanks for the heater heads up.
If it's short trips, the engine doesn't get warm enough to settle into it's most fuel sipping mode. But drive it 15-20 miles without many stops and the MPG will easily go over 100. I think the most I've seen while still using the ICE for heat was about 200 MPG. But even a quick trip to the grocery store (3.5 miles round trip) still exceeds 60 MPG. The same trip in my previous Outback likely wouldn't reach 20 MPG. If I'm going to my grandkids home (0.7 miles) I turn the HVAC off, as it won't warm up enough to give me any heat anyway. No reason to run the ICE for that, unless the windows start fogging up. That's when I wish the HVAC had a fan-only mode.

·
Registered
421 Posts
atc: I'm curious: What is your lifetime mpg? Do you keep track of it on Fuelly?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Yes, I do. It's right there in my sig line. The only reason it's as low as it is, is because I've taken a couple of trips from Auburn to Ellensburg (planning on retiring there), as well as multiple trips to my parents home in Marysville. The best I've recorded on a tank of gas is 342.4 MPG, which of course was during the summer months. But I've exceeded 200 MPG many tanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I forgot that one needs to click on sig line to see everything. Terrific mileage overall!

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
I forgot that one needs to click on sig line to see everything. Terrific mileage overall!
You can change that setting under your user controls so it's always visible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts