Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck in traffic jam for two hours. Watched the charge gauge drop down to three bars. Gas engine wasn't being called often enough to keep a normal level of charge. Car stopped. No gas drive or electric motor drive. Put it in neutral, nothing. Put it in sport mode and engine started. Got through the traffic jam and once the battery had been charged up to a normal level I put it back in drive. Now everything back to normal. Off to the dealer today to see if any abnormalities were recorded on the computer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stuck in traffic jam for two hours. Watched the charge gauge drop down to three bars. Gas engine wasn't being called often enough to keep a normal level of charge. Car stopped. No gas drive or electric motor drive. Put it in neutral, nothing. Put it in sport mode and engine started. Got through the traffic jam and once the battery had been charged up to a normal level I put it back in drive. Now everything back to normal. Off to the dealer today to see if any abnormalities were recorded on the computer.
If it ever happens again, you might try raising the interior temperature knob to max and then turn on the Blower FAN. That thing will pretty much start the gasoline engine anytime, even if the battery level is up around 80%. Unfortunately, it also takes a big bite out of fuel economy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I saw the battery drop well down during a big traffic jam but the ice would kick in if it got too low to charge back up the battery, so never saw that issue. So it may be some flaw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had my PHEV battery down to 6%, and also had the 'check hybrid system' come on twice, but go off after cycling the system off and on.
It is concerning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts