Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I was looking to see if I could find reviews of the Niro's Drive Wise features (that's what they call the tech package, technically). I came across this video and found my jaw was hanging off the floor. Amazing! (And scary!!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the video. Drivewise would be great to drop your kayak in the river and have your Niro wait for you downstream. However, neither the Niro nor Ioniq have LKAS in the US which would be the heart of drivewise.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Question -- Does Auto Braking only work with Cruise Control.

Based on my testing with and without cruise control:

When I was not on Cruise Control I would have hit the stopped car in front of me as I approached it had I not used the brake.

When I was on Cruise Control, it slowed and stopped a few car lengths before the stopped cars in front of me.

Could be my system is broke and should be working when not on Cruise Control???

·
Registered
78 Posts

When I was not on Cruise Control I would have hit the stopped car in front of me as I approached it had I not used the brake.

When I was on Cruise Control, it slowed and stopped a few car lengths before the stopped cars in front of me.

I'm wondering about mine too?? I have a pile of tires in front of where I park my Niro and it used to beep at me....it doesn't anymore???? Going to have to make an appointment with the Dealer I guess.:mad:

·
Registered
174 Posts

when driving normally it doesn't slow down like on smart cruise control, however, it does have pedestrian warnings and collisions warnings which help it slow down in case of imminent crash (I think), I saw a video about it but couldn't find it.

I'm wondering about mine too?? I have a pile of tires in front of where I park my Niro and it used to beep at me....it doesn't anymore???? Going to have to make an appointment with the Dealer I guess.:mad:
I unintentionally shut off the parking sensor once, I noticed the light was off when it had stopped beeping for me so maybe check that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah, as excited as I was about the AEB, I think I'm going to forgo the Tech Pkg. It seems buggy as ****, and I don't want to have to deal with it if/when I notice it doesn't work. I test drove two Niros yesterday. (Drives like a dream, so excited, but can't pull the trigger yet! gah!) The Touring model's advanced stuff worked as expected. The other one's worked some of the time, and some of the time not. (I tested the lane departure warning...have no idea how to safely test the AEB, especially not on a test drive...)

Do y'all think it's worth it?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Last week the NYT's car reviewer used an inflatable clown to test AEB. The clown died. It certainly does not work as well as an alert driver, and only under some scenarios.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A big THANK YOU to Fernando!!! Couldn't sleep last night so at 3am I got out the manual and looked up the parking sensor.....sure enough turned it on when the car was in reverse and the beeping warnings came back including when I was pulling into a parking area!!!!

The manual says you can turn it on either in reverse or in drive....and yes it is the button to the left of the gear shift lever!

·
Registered
35 Posts
is a link to the video from the Kia Niro web site itself. Have to say that few folks would be using cruise control driving on a NYC bridge, so the idea that the AEB is tied to cruise control just doesn't seem likely. My wife's 2015 Subaru Outback has their version and it clearly pops up on it's own without cruise control. It's pretty mind blowing but it only appears in emergency's, so have seen it only once or twice when another driver did something stupid in front of me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will say that it can see in fog way better than I can!!!! I was doing 45 without the cruise on, when it beeped and I THINK it applied the brakes a split second before I did. A white car in the fog with no lights on. No tire squeal but stopped in time....everything that was on the seats was on the floor! I'm impressed!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts