Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Kia e Niro Sep 2022
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love our new e Niro except one very annoying problem when using Kia Connect to Start Climate Control !! On several occasions now have started Climate Control remotely, then then get in the car and although the dashboard appears ready after pressing Start, the car will not engage D or R. Car got completely confused this morning as not on ly would it not move, but it locked us out when we got out of the car. Seems to me the symbol with the key inside the car shape on the dash is on but I cannot recreate the problem reliably to identify what it going on! Only way of getting it to start is to get out, go away for a while to let the car completely reset, then try again without having the remote climate control working. Please can somebody explain what is going on and how can we use Kia Connect / Start Climate Control without this issue - or the issue does happen, how do we reset quickly. Very frustrating!

· Registered
2 Posts
I have the same car and the exact same issue. Standing in the freezing cold right now. If I use the remote climate control early enough it is fine and I have a warm car. However if you get in the car while it is still remote heating it won’t engage in gear and like you say you need to wait for the car to completely reset which is super annoying. Otherwise it is an incredible car - just super annoying bug.

· Registered
Kia Niro EV 3 2023
3 Posts
Happened This morning.
Removed the earth from the battery for 10 seconds and reconnected it.
Started right away.
Hadn’t lost any profile settings.
I’ll be keeping a 10mill spanner in the car from now on.
It’s been said to stop the remote climate control with the app a few mins before you unlock the car helps stop it happening.

· Registered
Kia e Niro Sep 2022
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree that if you set it up so it stops before you get in or you switch it off with the app before you get in then it works fine.
Yes thank you. I have tried reporting the issue to Kia just so they can get it on their list of software bugs to fix, but the only way to escalate is to arrange a service visit and frankly I am not prepared to spend the time it takes to visit the branch, try and recreate the issue etc - when the car drives fine! Also, the local branch don't even have a fast enough broadband link installed to service electric cars!! I do think Kia need a forum where software issues of this nature can be identified and fixed without the customer having to visit a branch!

On a related issue - has anybody had the problem we have had with the car forgetting paired phone devices - we have had to re-pair our phone devices on several occasions - it seems to intermittently lose previous pairings!

· Registered
Kia e Niro Sep 2022
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree that if you set it up so it stops before you get in or you switch it off with the app before you get in then it works fine.
Yes thank you. I have tried reporting the issue to Kia just so they can get it on their list of software bugs to fix, but the only way to escalate is to arrange a service visit and frankly I am not prepared to spend the time it takes to visit the branch, try and recreate the issue etc - when the car drives fine! Also, the local branch don't even have a fast enough broadband link installed to service electric cars!! I do think Kia need a forum where software issues of this nature can be identified and fixed without the customer having to visit a branch!

On a related issue - has anybody had the problem we have had with the car forgetting paired phone devices - we have had to re-pair our phone devices on several occasions - it seems to intermittently lose previous pairings!

· Registered
16 Posts
Bit of a duplicate thread: Kia Niro EV 4 (2022) -= ZOMBIE MODE =-

I just wish someone could get an OFFICIAL acknowledgment from KIA UK that they are aware of this issue and for it to have some proper reference / bug number as opposed to the self coined phrase Zombie mode. Or (and now repeating my plea from months ago) some workaround that is not "don't use remote climate mode" or carry a 10mm spanner to disconnect the 12v battery to reset.

· Registered
4 Posts
Or (and now repeating my plea from months ago) some workaround that is not "don't use remote climate mode" or carry a 10mm spanner to disconnect the 12v battery to reset.
I live in Sydney Australia and I experienced this problem within the first week of taking delivery of my Niro GT-Line, as the model I have is called in Australia. It took me a little while to realise that the vehicle was not actually started, hence the reason why I couldn't engage D or R, but only N, which doesn't get you far.

I am now retired but worked as a real-time software developer for a large part of my career, and then as a software tester in the second half. I now think I have a fairly good idea of what is going on. There is a timer of some description running, in most cases for me, it is 15 minutes, but now always. I believe that if you get in the vehicle after you receive the Kia Connect app notification that Climate Control has 5 minutes left, and you try to start the car, this will put it in what has been described as "Zombie" mode.

I had it fail 5 times in a row last night, by entering the vehicle after the Kia Connect app sent the notification that Climate Control had 5 minutes left. On all occassions except one, the car was in "Zombie" mode. The other time it was initially in "Zombie" mode, but by trying different things in the car I was able to get it to Start [Green "Ready" displayed]. This case was different from the other 4 as it took more than 10 minutes from starting climate control before receiving the notification that Climate Control had 5 minutes left.

So, I need to do further testing in order to be able to always cause the vehicle to enter "Zombie" mode.

Now, for those of you experiencing this problem, I would like you to try the following to see if it gets you out of "Zombie" mode.

You will need to have more than 1 profile, as you need to switch from the current profile to a different one. I have only tested this twice so far, but every time it was in Zombie mode, after switching profiles I was able to start the car.

It would be great if several of you could test this for me and let me know. Fortunately, I'm working with a very knowledgeable dealer, such that if I can repeatedly create the problem, I will bring the vehicle in and he'll hook up all sorts of diagnostic equipment, including an oscilloscope, and take logs that he'll then send to Kia Australia, who will send it to head office, so that the problem can be fixed.

· Registered
4 Posts
I just wish someone could get an OFFICIAL acknowledgment from KIA UK that they are aware of this issue and for it to have some proper reference / bug number as opposed to the self coined phrase Zombie mode. Or (and now repeating my plea from months ago) some workaround that is not "don't use remote climate mode" or carry a 10mm spanner to disconnect the 12v battery to reset.
Based on my post, as long as I can reliably reproduce it, the dealer I'm working with will log all the details required and send it to Kia Australia. He thinks that they'll then send it to Kia head office.

If push came to shove, and I'm sure they wouldn't allow this, I'd be happy to sign a Non-disclosure agreement, get the source code and find the bug and provide a proposed fix. Kia Korea could verify the fix before officially rolling it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts