Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of nice reviews....but a couple of really scary ones.

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/niro/2017/consumer-reviews/pg-1/?sorting=CONFIDENCE&pagesize=50
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Touring 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Review
On 2/27/17 I bought a KIA Niro Touring. On 3/6/17 it wouldn't start and needed to be towed. Kia service told me the car was normal but I needed to drive it more to keep the battery charged. This does not seem to be a problem with my particular vehicle, rather a design choice KIA made. I use the car daily for my work commute, errands, etc. though apparently this usage is not adequate to have a reliable operating vehicle.

Kia does not inform the public the vehicle will not operate unless it has a minimum daily usage time. I bought the car assuming I could use it like any car. As much as I like the idea of an eco-friendly vehicle, I take exception to the concept that it must be driven extra time than my needs dictate to keep the battery charged. The service provider suggested I keep the engine running for 20-40 minutes but can just leave the car locked because of the smart key.
This does not sound smart to me.

I spoke directly with Kia Motors regarding my situation and they stand by their vehicle saying it is normal and the only problem is I am not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. They advised me to drive more. I would not like others to find themselves in my unfortunate situation. Please be mindful before making a purchase.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Review
I purchase a new Niro with 51 miles for my wife as a 20 year anniversary present... she was getting great gas mileage to and from work... have plenty of room a very nice looking vehicle... we decided to take it for a spin during the Memorial Day weekend 300 miles round trip... averaging 50 miles per gallon then all of a sudden a few miles from our house Disaster struck all of a sudden all of these came on at the same time total meltdown . Hybrid system warning; ready indicator blinking,malfunction indicator, charging system, a/c issues. We called the service department but they were closed because Monday was a holiday we took it in Tuesday morning telling them all that happened he gave my wife a small Hyundai half the size very uncomfortable car service department couldn't exactly tell us what was going on with the vehicle.. though however one of the service reps told me that it's the charging system? We are totally bummed out considering the cars brand new what about 620 total miles they said an engineer was coming up to see it today to figure out what went wrong and what they need to do to fix it... it's just frustrating they said they'd never seen anything like that before so they are perplexed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cars end up having problems, they've sold more than 15k in the USA alone and the model was out earlier in Europe and Asia so the failure rates seem low compared to other brands, especially if you look at the JD statistics. Certainly if mine failed and they couldn't fix it within 30 days I'd expect a lemon. And if you wait to purchase so they can work out some kinks the probability you will get a failure will also be lower.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cars end up having problems, they've sold more than 15k in the USA alone and the model was out earlier in Europe and Asia so the failure rates seem low compared to other brands, especially if you look at the JD statistics. Certainly if mine failed and they couldn't fix it within 30 days I'd expect a lemon. And if you wait to purchase so they can work out some kinks the probability you will get a failure will also be lower.
I think waiting is a wise choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts