Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Niro PHEV. I love it, but a recent glitch was quite concerning. I was climbing a mountain pass under quite high temperature. The ICE was unable to charge the battery while we were climbing. The AC stopped working. Once we reached our destination and turned off the car, I was unable to re-start it. I was pushed to a charging point, and once the car was re-charged, it functioned normally. If I had stopped before reaching my destination, I would have needed towing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a 2019 Niro PHEV. I love it, but a recent glitch was quite concerning. I was climbing a mountain pass under quite high temperature. The ICE was unable to charge the battery while we were climbing. The AC stopped working. Once we reached our destination and turned off the car, I was unable to re-start it. I was pushed to a charging point, and once the car was re-charged, it functioned normally. If I had stopped before reaching my destination, I would have needed towing.

That is concerning. Was there any other indication of a problem aside from the AC stopping? (Any alerts on the dashboard?)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Normally the ICE does not charge the battery going up a hill as the battery is adding torque via the motor (discharging). Long hills are almost the only scenario where my SOC gets low. I wonder if your battery overheated? No codes thrown?

·
Registered
302 Posts
:eek:

How high and how hot?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts