Kia Niro Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
A very interesting topic.
my car just reached 15,000 miles. Took it to a kia dealership yesterday, asked them about this clutch fluid, they said they do a replacement of the fluid at 22,500 miles.
Did they tell you how much it costs?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Crazy. Thanks for the info. My dealer couldn't give me a price because he said they never do it because it's not necessary LOL. Think I'll take the BillyG approach.

·
Registered
2019 KIA NIRO LX eco hybryd
5 Posts
Crazy. Thanks for the info. My dealer couldn't give me a price because he said they never do it because it's not necessary LOL. Think I'll take the BillyG approach.
what about your car warranty?
I am kinda afraid if I will replace the fluid by myself, and then something happens with my car, I can lose my car warranty.
But I would definitely replace the fluid by myself. It seems easy and cheap.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My dealer said it has no effect on the warranty, but I take that with a grain of salt. However a car owner can work on his/hers own car no problem. I would keep receipts. It only takes a few oz. of brake fluid but it takes some kind of gizmo the dealer has to suck all the fluid out to do it properly but people here do it with a turkey baster it seems. This guy here BillyG put over 170k mi. on his Niro without problems without doing it.

·
Registered
2019 KIA NIRO LX eco hybryd
5 Posts
My dealer said it has no effect on the warranty, but I take that with a grain of salt. However a car owner can work on his/hers own car no problem. I would keep receipts. It only takes a few oz. of brake fluid but it takes some kind of gizmo the dealer has to suck all the fluid out to do it properly but people here do it with a turkey baster it seems. This guy here BillyG put over 170k mi. on his Niro without problems without doing it.
oh yeah, I have read this whole topic here. That guy gave us a good idea how to do this fluid replacement. I like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an FYI, the 2019 Niro manual indicates to change the Engine Clutch Actuator Fluid at 15,000 miles. It was 22,500 for the 2017 and 2018 model years. I am at a little over 9,000 miles on my 2019 and have done 1 partial refill of Dot 3 brake fluid so far, using the turkey baster method described in these forums. I did it early just to go through the procedure, which is very easy. Eventually I will probably take it to the dealer for a complete flush and new fluid, but for now, I am OK doing it this way. I live in a high desert dry environment and the Niro is in the garage when I am not driving it. Because of this, I wonder if there is less chance of moisture getting into the fluid, which is part of the reason they want you to change it. The Kia dealer in Prescott, AZ wants $109 for the ECA fluid change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i only drive my 2018 phev about 4000 miles per year but since the normal maintenance schedule calls for replacing the fluid every 18 months i brought it in with 6000 miles to have it done, if for no other reason to protect my warranty. they told me not to waste my money. made sense to me especially since most of my mileage is ev, but if there’s any problem in the future i am expecting a big argument. this is not my first experience with a dealer using their own schedule. i don’t understand why they don’t just do what the manufacturer specifies..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer in California actually asked me first if I wanted to change the "Engine clutch actuator fluid". I asked if it was necessary and asked the price which was $149.95. Dealer said he highly recommends it and has heard other car owners had issues due to not replacing this fluid. I wanted to check here first.

Is there any recommendations for DOT 3 or DOT 4 brands for KIA? Thinking of DIY and purchasing one of these syringes on amazon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I gave in and had it done at my last oil change at 25k mi. The dealer charge was $89 also. It said DOT 3 fluid on the receipt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone had this fluid changed on their Niro? The service schedule says to change it at 22,500 which I have on mine now.
I change the clutch fluid in my Niro at 15k intervals (every other oil change). It is just a drain and fill - no bleeding necessary. The improvement in shifting and take off is immediate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer in California actually asked me first if I wanted to change the "Engine clutch actuator fluid". I asked if it was necessary and asked the price which was $149.95. Dealer said he highly recommends it and has heard other car owners had issues due to not replacing this fluid. I wanted to check here first.

Is there any recommendations for DOT 3 or DOT 4 brands for KIA? Thinking of DIY and purchasing one of these syringes on amazon.
I change my own clutch fluid at 15k intervals (every other oil change). I remove the engine underliner and drain the fluid from the actuator by removing the hose from the reservoir at the actuator. Then I re-attach the hose and refill the reservoir. No bleeding is necessary. It takes me 15 minutes and the improvement is immediate. I replace the fluid with clutch fluid from Trac Auto, but any DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid will work. When I have skipped replacing the fluid, the shift judder returns. I have 75k on my Niro and the shifting is like (or better) than new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I change my own clutch fluid at 15k intervals (every other oil change). I remove the engine underliner and drain the fluid from the actuator by removing the hose from the reservoir at the actuator. Then I re-attach the hose and refill the reservoir. No bleeding is necessary. It takes me 15 minutes and the improvement is immediate. I replace the fluid with clutch fluid from Trac Auto, but any DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid will work. When I have skipped replacing the fluid, the shift judder returns. I have 75k on my Niro and the shifting is like (or better) than new.

Thanks Bill for the helpful insight! I saw the hose that can detach, how did you let the fluid drop without spilling over other counterparts in the engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Bill for the helpful insight! I saw the hose that can detach, how did you let the fluid drop without spilling over other counterparts in the engine?
I remove the bottom connection by the actuator. I remove the engine undercover to gain access. A little brake clean will remove any fluid that spills. I change the clutch fluid on every other oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remove the bottom connection by the actuator. I remove the engine undercover to gain access. A little brake clean will remove any fluid that spills. I change the clutch fluid on every other oil change.
Just a word of caution - Brake fluid will eat the paint off your vehicle. If you spill any brake fluid on a painted surface wash it off with brake clean immediately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i only drive my 2018 phev about 4000 miles per year but since the normal maintenance schedule calls for replacing the fluid every 18 months i brought it in with 6000 miles to have it done, if for no other reason to protect my warranty. they told me not to waste my money. made sense to me especially since most of my mileage is ev, but if there’s any problem in the future i am expecting a big argument. this is not my first experience with a dealer using their own schedule. i don’t understand why they don’t just do what the manufacturer specifies..........
i spoke to kia and they told me that as long as the dealer wrote not required on the receipt i was ok, otherwise any problems with the clutch might/would not be covered since i had no proof that i had complied with the maintenance schedule. so i went to a different dealer and had it done. he did it for $71.16 for those of you that were interested in the cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i spoke to kia and they told me that as long as the dealer wrote not required on the receipt i was ok, otherwise any problems with the clutch might/would not be covered since i had no proof that i had complied with the maintenance schedule. so i went to a different dealer and had it done. he did it for $71.16 for those of you that were interested in the cost.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind going in if my dealerships around me charged that price.
Just a word of caution - Brake fluid will eat the paint off your vehicle. If you spill any brake fluid on a painted surface wash it off with brake clean immediately.
Thanks for the tip. I dropped one drop of fluid (not on paint) on the plastic covering so I'll be more careful next time. I did manage to do it on my own using the turkey baster method (I know there are users who disagree on this, risking the warranty and full responsibility) but I'm not a technician or have knowledge to lift up a car and go underneath to do these types of DIY.

I'm also wondering if dealerships will be able to find out if I did it "DIY" if I ever did went in for maintenance to replace the actuator fluid?
Would they instantly mark my vehicle as warranty voided?

Thanks all.

added some photos:

Pic1- Used a turkey baster. Tip: use a syringe with long needle, you can get all the liquid out of the crevasses.
Pic2- Fluid was more clear orange. For some reason the original fluid came out bloody dark in the photo in the cup (see pic4).
Pic3- Silky white substance at the bottom of the reservoir tank.
Pic4- Left: Prestone DOT 3 Right: orignal fluid (orange)
Pic5- Drove 200 miles and sucked out fluid and replaced with new fluid (less orange). Rinse and repeat until it gets to the color of the new fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone know what the total volume is when fluid is fully replaced?

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts
100cc +/- 20cc Dot 3 or 4 is the total volume of the system. The smallest can of brake fluid you can buy would be more than enough. Walmart Super Tech small can = $1.25 last time I bought it for this. My time to suction with vacuum gun and refill clutch actuator fluid took 15 mins.

This is simple enough I do it at each oil change or every 7500 miles. The fluid is now clear and like new in the vehicle. At this point I am moving my interval to every other oil change or 15,000 miles as the fluid continues to look like new.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts