Kia Niro Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am having second thoughts. I think I am change regardless if it is clean or not. I don’t want anything happening because they might lie and say that I refused. I think I am going to do to research to find a mechanic who specializes in hybrid cars. The problem is that it is hard because most don’t know how to work on hybrid cars.
You might be able to find a mechanic that has the right equipment, or you might find it easier to take it to a different dealer. There's a 2017 manual online that describes the repair procedure here. If you're just changing the fluid, it's not as complicated as what's described in that link, but if you get any air in the line, then there's a procedure half way down the page that talks about using the "KDS" to purge the air and re-train the car. The KDS is a diagnostic tool that costs a little over USD $5,000. Anyone with the right equipment should be able to flush the line without introducing air, but if they make a mistake and they don't have a KDS, then you might wind up needing to visit the dealer after that. And given that several people have had concerns about shifting problems, one can speculate that periodic retraining with a KDS might be an important part of this maintenance procedure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There is a lot of D.Y.I's out there doing this service themselves. I just had the service done @ the dealership . Cost was 140. Had a good Conversation with the Top Mechanic doing this service. There is more to this service than just replacing the fluid. He printed out the complete service, which I will attach. He stated few niro owners are doing this service and agree'd that by not complying to what is dictated in the service manual. You are risking your warranty protection if problems arise. These dual clutch transmissions are highly technical and repair costs will be also. It's a no brainers decision for me to have this service done. Best of luck to those who chose otherwise.
The Engine Clutch Actuator and it's fluid has nothing to do with the DCT(dual clutch transmission)! They are two totally different things! I keep seeing this error in the threads. I really hope you did not get that info from the Kia mechanic..somehow I think you must've misunderstood the tech, as the paperwork looks like the right procedure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In this DIY opinion- The Service Technicians pull a vacuum on the system and get as much fluid out as possible then add the fluid. The next procedure would be for exercising the clutch to remove any entrapped air. There is no bleed port or way to physically bleed fluid from the system.

Here is the actual procedure from the manual - if you scroll down to step 2 in the clutch replacement it details what the technician detailed on your bill.

One of the supposed advantages of hydraulic clutches is that they are self adjusting.

One individual on the forum went over 150,000 miles with no fluid change or adjustment-while I am not confident doing that it does point out these clutches work very well with minimal attention
54,000 miles on the 2019 Niro and haven't touched it yet. I'll call you all when I get stranded and need a lift.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I thought I posted Actuator Fluid pictures (pictures of sediment after the FIRST change at 30,362 miles and after the SECOND change at 36,314 miles) but don't see a post with such. I used the suck old fluid out and add new fluid. I use an old Radiator Fluid Tester because I had one on hand. It has a narrow tube so gets down into the reservoir pretty good.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Nice pictures! Thanks. Seeing that sediment certainly encourages me to do the same.

Are you planning on doing short interval changes going forward? A second 30,000 change would have been extra interesting.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts