Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2018 Kia Midi FE with 54000 miles on it loved the car. But we are travel for graduation I was 50 miles south is Los Banks in the north bound side in the middle of nowhere I got 3 warnings Engine control system, Hybrid system failure, and AC DC system failure. We pulled over on the side of road and called Kia roadside service talked to Joann and ordered tow truck . There are 4 of us in the car my 88 yr old Uncle my handicapped 87 yr old Mom my disabled 70 yr old husband got a message from tow company that they don't take riders due to vivid, call them back to see what to do and got Maria who was very rude told me that they could take two people and the other 2 could wait on the side of I 5 and wait for us to go to dealer 61 miles away and come back with rental or try to find an uber in the Middle of nowhere did not want to take the time to help me come up with a solution for my problem we sat on the road for 2 hours and decided to drive to the closest dealer went to Selma Kia and Tina was great took car in cleared codes and got us on our way within an hour told us was old codes left on car and needed a system update. Drove fine for next 200 miles and then the codes started back up again we were about 20 away from Redding so when to the dealer there and they cleared the codes again but could not do diagnose work they were booked up but car was fine to drive . Back on the road for about 100 miles and codes are back again. Found a dealer in Vancouver WA that will work on car on Monday dose anyone have any problems like this and what it could be

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have personally not had this happen on my Niro, BUT I've had it on several other cars that I have. My advise is to get yourself a code reader. It will save you some grief and time. The code reader will allow you to see what is triggering the warnings and also let you reset the error codes. Just google the trouble code code reader kicks out and many of the issues are easy fixes. A code reader will be less than what dealership charges you for "diagnostic".

You can also go to most national brand auto part stores (Advance, Pep Boys, etc.) and they'll read your code for free. Pretty certain a dealership or some repair shop will charge you to "pull the code".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like a loose ground or other electrical connection? Have them check the High Voltage Fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a loose ground or other electrical connection? Have them check the High Voltage Fuse.
No
Not yet the 3 dealerships I have stopped at have all said it needs to be diagnosed it could be oil pump sensor or the cadalidic converter

·
Registered
240 Posts
I’ve had the catalytic converter replaced under warranty on my Niro and the check engine light was VERY specific to that problem. I’m a former ASE certified mechanic and in my opinion, the problem on your car is DEFINITELY NOT the catalytic converter.

Since the code keeps coming back you do need to get it checked out. Since there are 3 mobility impaired people in the car, you need to get them to a safe place first. Keep in mind that it might take several days for this problem to be solved.

To me this sounds like the DC-DC converter having some issues, but that is only based on the codes and nothing else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts