Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2018 LX in Nov. in Ontario. Everything is fine except the engine oil is increasing. I found this issue in last month, mileage was 2500 kilometers. The engine oil exceeded the whole plastic part of the dipstick and with strong gasoline smell.

I told this to my dealer, they reported to KIA Canada and told me no any other user reported similar problem. After I complained to KIA Canada directly, they agreeded to changing oil for free and recording engine oil consumption after driving another 1000 kilometers. Today I checked the dipstick, the oil level exceeded the F mark again.

I was wondering there is no one found this issue until now. Since in China, as I know, many people found this problem and Honda CR-V Hybrid has same issue.
Engine oil increasing with gasoline smell means gasoline leaking into oil. It is no a good thing. Even the user manual says, "Don not overfill the engine oil. It may damage the engine."

I don't want the bad thing happened on me, and to you guys neither.

Check your engine oil, if it's same as me, report to your dealer and KIA.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and this is indeed worrying. If it smells like petrol, then I assume the fuel injector leaking could be leaking. Best to bring it in to your dealership again and have them take a look. Please keep us updated if they find anything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats on the car, sorry to hear about your issue. Sounds like a problem with the fuel injector to me. Somehow when your engine is turning off, the injector is remaining open, allowing fuel vapours to trickle into your engine. This is a very dangerous situation and you should not to continue to drive the car with this problem going. Not only do you risk damaging the engine if it is overfilled, but the mixture of oil and gasoline is extremely flammable/explosive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue.

Thank you, I will go to the dealer to check it again.
About same mileage and same problem. Only difference - no strong gas smell. My Niro was at upper oil lever since July but after period of two weeks of temps in teens oil is about quarter inch high on dipstick. Engine is not getting fully warm when this cold anyway, drops to single bar on scale when running electric. Went to dealer for check up - said all OK. It maybe some moisture trapped in oil pan since I did no long trips recently. Going to do oil change just to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I will go to the dealer to check it again.
About same mileage and same problem. Only difference - no strong gas smell. My Niro was at upper oil lever since July but after period of two weeks of temps in teens oil is about quarter inch high on dipstick. Engine is not getting fully warm when this cold anyway, drops to single bar on scale when running electric. Went to dealer for check up - said all OK. It maybe some moisture trapped in oil pan since I did no long trips recently. Going to do oil change just to be safe.
As I know in the China market right now, Kia covers all oil changing fee if your Niro has the engine oil increasing problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m having the same issue. Went in for 6 month check up and the dealership said the oil had a strong odor of gasoline and had expanded. They changed the oil and requested that I drive it around for 3 weeks and take it back in for another check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm concerned about this as well. I've had the car three months. From the beginning it seemed like the level was high. However, with new oil it is so clear, its hard to be sure. Plus I wasnt sure if the car was absolutly level in my parking lot. So, using a level, I ensured the car was on a flat driveway, and the oil seems to be above the plastic part of the dip stick. I've put 4400 miles on the car. The oil seems a little too dark now too. Smells of gasoline, but my old car oil smelled of gasoline. What kind of damage could have been done due to the overfill situation.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If it's really getting gasoline in the oil, I'd be more concerned about the tendency of the gas to thin the oil and diminish its lubricating ability than I would be about the fill level. Mine was a tad over the full mark at 300 miles, and I assume it was like that from the dealer.

If you're in South Carolina, I don't imagine you've been subjected to the kind of cold temperatures that often cause people in colder climates to experience hard starting, engine flooding, etc, so that probably doesn't explain your situation. You haven't told us how your gas mileage is faring though: a dripping fuel injector might cause this symptom over time. You also haven't told us where you purchase fuel. Some of the pricier brands put detergents in their fuel that can help to avoid problems with fuel injectors. The owners manual recommends that you purchase gas from one of the brands listed on toptiergas.com, but if I had any concerns that the fuel system might be needing some cleaning, I'd put a full tank of Chevron in it.

If you're at 4400 miles and you haven't had an oil change yet, you might want to have one. Yes, the manual says you can go to 7500 unless you are in a "severe usage" situation, in which case you should change it at 3750 miles. And then they go to describe just about everything I think of as "normal" as their definition of "severe usage".

After your oil change, check your oil cold on level ground before the engine has run, and wipe the stick and reinsert it before you take a definitive reading. Whoever changes your oil is likely to overfill it slightly. On cars I've had previously, having the oil slightly over full didn't seem to be a problem, but having it contaminated with water or gas is almost always a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil level

Thanks for the response. I do use top tier gas (Valero) almost all of the time. The top tier logo is on the pump near my work. My mileage has been pretty good, avg 49 on interstate, but only about 43 recently in town since it has gotten chilly. I think it is suppressed somewhat since most of my in town trips are short, 3-5 miles so the engine barley warms up. But, I must consider the possibility of some kind of fuel system problem too. My dealer says they can't look at it until February. I'm still going to take it by and at least get the issue documented in case there has been engine damage. Then I'll get the oil changed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for the response. I do use top tier gas (Valero) almost all of the time. The top tier logo is on the pump near my work. My mileage has been pretty good, avg 49 on interstate, but only about 43 recently in town since it has gotten chilly. I think it is suppressed somewhat since most of my in town trips are short, 3-5 miles so the engine barley warms up. But, I must consider the possibility of some kind of fuel system problem too. My dealer says they can't look at it until February. I'm still going to take it by and at least get the issue documented in case there has been engine damage. Then I'll get the oil changed.

A few people have mentioned having this problem but I thought it was just 2017's. Please keep us up to date on what you find out. So many times people don't provide an update and then the people that have similar problems are left hanging. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Noticed same with my 2018 Hev, @ 10,000 mi 3rd oil change. Past full on dipstick and you can smell fuel. Dealer wasn't concerned. I still am! Documenting all, gonna keep tabs on oil level and condition. From my experience, this has never has happened and can not be healthy for the long term life of the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Used Oil Report

Hey guys,

I had some info that I thought would be beneficial both this particular post and for all Niro Owners. I own a 2018 EX and I also noticed the same issues as described here, over filled dipstick when I had changed the oil and ensured it was not full, fuel smell when starting the car and changing the oil. So I sent in my oil change to Blackstone labs to get it professionally analyzed. What they found was an increase in fuel in the oil. My oil was made up with about 3.3% fuel which as others stated did lower my viscosity and have some other affects. I made contact with KIA corporate and they are waiting for me to go another 7,500 miles to see if it happens again or if it was just the rings and other components settling in.

I tried to make a dedicated post about my oil report but the admin team did not approve it nor did I receive a reason why it was denied so I hope this get's through and helps.
Thanks,
Ron
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhuXG8H92uXVXeg96

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey guys,

I had some info that I thought would be beneficial both this particular post and for all Niro Owners. I own a 2018 EX and I also noticed the same issues as described here, over filled dipstick when I had changed the oil and ensured it was not full, fuel smell when starting the car and changing the oil. So I sent in my oil change to Blackstone labs to get it professionally analyzed. What they found was an increase in fuel in the oil. My oil was made up with about 3.3% fuel which as others stated did lower my viscosity and have some other affects. I made contact with KIA corporate and they are waiting for me to go another 7,500 miles to see if it happens again or if it was just the rings and other components settling in.

I tried to make a dedicated post about my oil report but the admin team did not approve it nor did I receive a reason why it was denied so I hope this get's through and helps.
Thanks,
Ron

That's a GOOD point! If the dealer tries to argue with you, get your oil analyzed by a lab and then they can't argue with you. I think some kits come with a syringe and a long tube so you can just suck a little oil out of the dipstick tube and don't have to do an oil change.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks for sharing this. My guess is that your dedicated post wasn't approved because you don't yet have much of a history on this forum. New accounts seem to have some restrictions at first, but it might be posted eventually.

I'm curious to know if your driving environment might be a factor. It sounds like you are driving an HEV. What's your daily commute like in terms of how many times the ICE starts and stops before it has had a chance to warm up to normal temperature? Are you in a place where you normally run the cabin heater a lot at this time of year?

One of the main arteries in the town that I live in has a horrible design for the stop light control: you are pretty much guaranteed to have to stop at a red light at least five times before you can get on the freeway, and that's over a distance of about one mile. I have in mind that if I was commuting on that road every day with a cold ICE, and if it was shutting down and restarting at each red light, then I might start seeing fuel contamination in my oil too. A conventional ICE needs extra fuel when starting, and it needs extra fuel when cold, and I suspect that it probably needs 2x extra fuel when starting cold. I'm just wondering if you might be challenged with these kinds of driving conditions and if that might be a factor in the fuel contamination.

By the way: what did the lab analysis cost? And how many miles had you gone since the last change when you collected the sample?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Year later, next winter - it is moisture condensing in oil - engine not getting warm enough in low temperatures to cook it off. We had polar vortex cold (-20°F) for few days. I was only driving to and from work (8 miles each way). Checked oil and to my horror - dipstick and oil cap were coated with foamy espresso colored goo. I almost suspected blown head gasket - at 5k miles. But next day took the car for nice 25 miles highway trip at 65 to 70 miles per hour. When I checked oil that day it was looking good little darker than new with no contamination visible. Now with temps back in 40-ies issue doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wacio: Yes that is a common problem with ICE in any climate with sub freezing temps and short drives where the engine doesn't get warm enough to boil off the condensate. However in my experience that phenomena doesn't cause the oil level to appear to rise on the dipstick.

Unfortunately, previous posts strongly suggest that some cars may be experience gas getting into the crankcase. Until several folks who are noticing a rising oil level have an oil analysis, we won't know for sure.

Cost for oil analysis is $28 at Blackstone w prepaid shipping. They need about 1/4 cup of oil.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Year later, next winter - it is moisture condensing in oil - engine not getting warm enough in low temperatures to cook it off. We had polar vortex cold (-20°F) for few days. I was only driving to and from work (8 miles each way). Checked oil and to my horror - dipstick and oil cap were coated with foamy espresso colored goo. I almost suspected blown head gasket - at 5k miles. But next day took the car for nice 25 miles highway trip at 65 to 70 miles per hour. When I checked oil that day it was looking good little darker than new with no contamination visible. Now with temps back in 40-ies issue doesn't seem to be a problem any more.
Interesting. Noticed my car had some unburned gas smell when engine was cold during the sub-zero weather too. I haven't checked the oil though. In addition to your point, all cars are allowed to dial back some of the emission controls during engine warmup (hence the VW scandal....they tricked the car to believe it was in warmup stationary mode).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey folks update on my oil increasing. Still have problem. A big one in my opinion and diagnosis. Recap...Discovered problem 3rd service 10,104 mi. Dealership blew me off. Asked them to capture oil and measure, watched them do it and they didnt capture all and didnt include filter. Did 4th service myself just 2000mi later (again high on dipstick).11,950 mi on vehicle. 132 oz of oil in, 140 oz of oil out. Done the math thats 6% oil dilution. Goggled oil dilution, anything over 2 is problematic. I have aprox 12%( if doubled to a 4000 mi interval.)Went back to dealer, again they dont want to recognize that the problem exists. They told me to call KIA. 2 weeks later, customer service reponds that they cant do anything without dealer diagnosis. Back at dealership next day. Again same treatment but.... They booked an appt for 2 weeks from now. I will keep updating. If you have this problem try this, my last oil chg. I put in aprox 8 oz. Less oil so i could see oil level better on dipstick. ( half up etched part of dipstick). Noticable increase in just 500 mi.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts