Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Kia Niro PHEW

So I was driving home today when suddenly my engine died while gliding to a stop on the shoulder. I vaguely remember the text saying some connection with hybrid something. So I pulled over, popped the hood and waited 5 min before competing with no other problems home for another 45 minutes. Anyone have an explanation for this? Should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Hybrids, especially PHEVs, do not leave the engine running. Gliding to a stop is completely normal for the engine to shut off. If you have a PHEV, and the battery is over 20% charged, the engine won't run at all other than two reasons: it's cold enough the HVAC is calling for cabin heat, or you've pressed the accelerator hard enough to exceed the maximum power the EV motor can provide. Looking at the power meter in the dash, you'll see a green arc that reaches a point and then it changes to "power". If you stay in the green arc on acceleration, the engine usually won't start. Although I have see it start even in the green on a long hill.

Now, if you're saying the car could not continue after this happened, and perhaps there was some sort of warning message on the dash, that would be a different situation and it should be checked immediately by a dealer. But from the sounds of it, this was just normal hybrid operation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts