Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2017 Niro. It has been reasonable, but a few months ago a sensor went in the rear passenger door which drained the battery. Well, last week my wife went camping, 10 minutes from home, the engine temp. warning comes up. She pulled over waited 10 minutes, then continued without problem (probably a 2 hour drive). Some thing coming home .. 10 minutes, warning comes on, this time she watches the temp guage, it it high then comes down to mid-level. I take it for a spin Saturday evening, no issues. Then I notice, the coolant reservoir is empty! Not good. So on Sunday I add a bit of some older coolant I have, and off to my local Canadian Tire to get some coolant (8 km .. 5 miles). Halfway home, the temp spikes. Well I think I stopped 5 times coming home to cool the engine. Topped up the coolant reservoir after the engine had cooled. Called dealer first thing in morning - yes they will look at the car. Looked at the coolant level before I left, it had dropped 25%. Drove to dealer, no problem. Looked at coolant level, the reservoir was empty again. So I know there is a leak ... somewhere. Late morning, dealer called me. They found the problem (the techs at my dealer seem to be pretty good with Niro). The problem .. a crack in the .. catalytic converter. Now I searched the forum and I see a few posted related to 'check engine light' having to do with the catalytic converter .. but not the coolant. So the way it was explained to me (and I probably don't have this 100% correct) - part of the cooling system runs through the catalytic converter - there is a heat exchanger in the converter that works to bring the coolant up to temperature (I guess in our lovely Cdn winters). Seems it developed a small crack. Coolant was not being lost at the front of the car, it was being evaporated and sent out the tailpipe in a white cloud of smoke. So to fix the issue the car needs a new catalytic converter. Thankfully ... it is all under warranty (because I asked what the cost of the converter was .. it would have been an 'ouch'). I live in Ottawa, parts are in Toronto 2 day delivery (usually 1 day for other stuff but because this is larger and more $ I guess they package it up more securely).

Dealer said this is rather uncommon, searching online I saw a similar post fir a Prius.

I'm sure this scenario will be of interest to some of you in the forum! And I will know in a few days when I get my car back.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for posting this!! It's very interesting and I'm sure helpful to others especially if they don't have a good dealer like your seems to be.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Without that coolant loop, it is usually a warped head that would be the prime suspect. That would be a major repair and more expensive than the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup I agree. I think my wife was lucky not to have major breakdown - fortunate that after it had spiked originally for her the temp came down .. whether true or not, dealer told me driving on the highway probably helped to cool the engine with constant flow of air, as opposed to city stop/go. I'm not mechanically savvy enough to know. I am just thanking my lucky stars here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
So the cat converter is welded below the heat exchanger (or so the service folks told me)
It should be the opposite to that in principle and that is what I've seen on the diagrams. Catalytic converters depend on high exhaust temperatures to function properly, so they are as close to the manifold as possible. Putting a heat exchange loop above the catalytic converter would reduce heat to the catalytic converter and increase pollution. Thus the place to put a heat exchanger is just below the converter. When I say above and below, I'm referring to the exhaust flow direction and downstream is thus below.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Niro Touring
2 Posts
I've got a 2017 Niro. It has been reasonable, but a few months ago a sensor went in the rear passenger door which drained the battery. Well, last week my wife went camping, 10 minutes from home, the engine temp. warning comes up. She pulled over waited 10 minutes, then continued without problem (probably a 2 hour drive). Some thing coming home .. 10 minutes, warning comes on, this time she watches the temp guage, it it high then comes down to mid-level. I take it for a spin Saturday evening, no issues. Then I notice, the coolant reservoir is empty! Not good. So on Sunday I add a bit of some older coolant I have, and off to my local Canadian Tire to get some coolant (8 km .. 5 miles). Halfway home, the temp spikes. Well I think I stopped 5 times coming home to cool the engine. Topped up the coolant reservoir after the engine had cooled. Called dealer first thing in morning - yes they will look at the car. Looked at the coolant level before I left, it had dropped 25%. Drove to dealer, no problem. Looked at coolant level, the reservoir was empty again. So I know there is a leak ... somewhere. Late morning, dealer called me. They found the problem (the techs at my dealer seem to be pretty good with Niro). The problem .. a crack in the .. catalytic converter. Now I searched the forum and I see a few posted related to 'check engine light' having to do with the catalytic converter .. but not the coolant. So the way it was explained to me (and I probably don't have this 100% correct) - part of the cooling system runs through the catalytic converter - there is a heat exchanger in the converter that works to bring the coolant up to temperature (I guess in our lovely Cdn winters). Seems it developed a small crack. Coolant was not being lost at the front of the car, it was being evaporated and sent out the tailpipe in a white cloud of smoke. So to fix the issue the car needs a new catalytic converter. Thankfully ... it is all under warranty (because I asked what the cost of the converter was .. it would have been an 'ouch'). I live in Ottawa, parts are in Toronto 2 day delivery (usually 1 day for other stuff but because this is larger and more $ I guess they package it up more securely).

Dealer said this is rather uncommon, searching online I saw a similar post fir a Prius.

I'm sure this scenario will be of interest to some of you in the forum! And I will know in a few days when I get my car back.

Thanks for this. My 2017 Niro has the same problem. They finally discovered the cause after taking it to the dealer for the 3rd time for losing coolant. The tech told me on the second time that they probably didn't "burp" the system of air.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2017 Niro EX and we are having the same coolant leak through this exhaust heat recovery system EHRS. intermittent white smoke out the tailpipe and coolant draining out of the reservoir. Do to all of the similar complaints this sounds like a poor design. The dealer claims this issue isn't covered but it sounds like others have had it covered. Sounds like this could be a class action lawsuit if it is big enough of a problem with inconsistent KIA's corrective action. This could become a costly ongoing repair if it needs to be done every 4 years. We were told this was going to cost $2300.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this was covered under my warranty. I got an extended warranty (8 years) but I believe the standard warranty is 5 years? If 4, it may be out of warranty. Dealer told me they had seen 2 (mine included) but I can't remember if the other was a Niro or another Kia model. I believe without warranty, the converter was $1800 Cdn then labour. Have not had any problems since

·
Registered
296 Posts
I own a 2017 Niro EX and we are having the same coolant leak through this exhaust heat recovery system EHRS. intermittent white smoke out the tailpipe and coolant draining out of the reservoir. Do to all of the similar complaints this sounds like a poor design. The dealer claims this issue isn't covered but it sounds like others have had it covered. Sounds like this could be a class action lawsuit if it is big enough of a problem with inconsistent KIA's corrective action. This could become a costly ongoing repair if it needs to be done every 4 years. We were told this was going to cost $2300.
It sounds like you might just be dealing with a bad dealership, or your Niro has too many miles.

If I had to deal with a dealership like that, I would try to get them to warranty the work based off of the factory emissions warranty, which I believe is longer than the standard basic warranty.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Also check to see if your state is included with the Ca. emmissions warranty which I believe is even longer coverage. When we lived in Pa., Pa. was one of the states included under the Ca. warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts