Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Began yesterday: following a 2-hr drive, parked the car, left engine on, went to check mail. Came back, the orange "forward collision" icon was on.

Turned off the car, it was normal, but only used it for about two minutes, parked it.

Hours later, turned on the car. After about two minutes, the orange "forward collision" icon came on, and got a temporary warning that automatic lane following is disabled, and the LKA steering wheel icon turned orange (instead of white or green).

Just my luck, as I'm driving 900 miles this weekend.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
127 Posts
Did you check the radar surface?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly, not. I mean, the car is far from caked in mud, or anything. Looks like a clean car, though for sure I haven't washed it in any way, so I am sure there is dust all over and I'm sure if I scrub the whole car with a cloth, the cloth will turn out dirty.

But if you recommend cleaning the area marked on the attached picture, I'll do it right away! Hopefully it will fix the issue?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned the area marked on the picture above with a clean cloth.

The cloth came out clean, i.e., there was no perceivable dirt. Started the car. The problem came back after about 3 minutes. It gives three temporary warnings. One is that HBA (High Beam Assist) is disabled.

Then you get two warnings that remain permanent until the engine is turned off: forward collision alert disabled (orange) and LKAS disabled (orange).

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd call and see if they can service it before you trip. Should be covered under warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Beth. The car has 800 miles on it and is 5 weeks old. Unfortunately, I can't make the time to go to the dealer. So I'll just have to, you know, drive.

Quite the disappointment, but I see no alternative!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,881 Posts
I believe High Beam Assist uses a sensor either on the back side of the rear view mirror (the forward facing side) or the camera located at the top/center of the windshield. Anything obscuring your windshield, especially higher up towards the center? LKA uses that camera as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I cleaned up the windshield. Well, to be frank, used the fluid and the wipers. Glass looks extremely clean in the camera area. The errors persist and are (I found you can scroll through them):

"Check Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist system"
"Check High Beam Assist (HBA) system"
"Check Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system"

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,881 Posts
It's sounding more like a sensor failure then. Either a sensor or the wiring for it. Certainly should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, had a similar problem. I bumped into a rock in an alpine "parking lot", and the Smart Cruise Control warning came on. The dealer wanted something like $800 to remove the front bumper and "align" the radar sensor. I was able to remove the front bumper in about 45 minutes, and then noticed that the radar sensor was indeed pointing in a strange direction. It's held in place with sort or rubber pegs, and I was able to snap it into the correct alignment but just grabbing the sensor and putting it in the correct place. We put the bumper back in place and it solved the problem.

I think it may have been possible to do this without removing the bumper, so see if you can find a way to grab the sensor and see if it feels loose. You should be able to push it into the correct place.

Good luck,

Chuck
2019 Plug-In Niro, base level.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You probably have a sensor gremlin of some kind. At least two of your annoying alerts are camera related. Not convinced your radar is faulty - when snow gets on mine it shuts off the "advanced" cruise control, although I only use standard CC (which continues to work). Nothing that suggests you cannot take your trip safely. Unless you rely on safety systems to protect you while you are texting.

Just making a point, not insulting you. In the olden times, whenever an alert came on, I assumed the idiot light was broken. I once drove 500 miles after a charging system alert came on - the alternator brushes were worn out as it turned out. Amazing how long basic cars without 30 CPUs can continue to fire spark plugs with a simple 12 volt battery. When the car no longer ran if the radio was on, I got the hint - but I was still 100 miles from the next city. Made it and the alternator brushes and labor would make you all laugh for how inexpensive the fix was.

No car has safety systems worth trusting. I actually regret paying $1,200 extra for my "tech" (safety) package. I do not feel safer, and it has so far only worked inappropriately every single time it activates. I thought when I bought it that if it saved my life even once... Seems unlikely now that I've had the car 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In addition to the errors listed above, if one starts car and immediately gets on the highway, the following error also appears. This error does not appear on the highway if one arrives there after the three original errors have appeared.

"Check Highway Driving Assist (HDA) system"

Hendrick Kia of Cary, North Carolina, when reached in the last week of July, offered to book a service appointment for October 2021.

Fred Anderson Kia of Raleigh, NC, offered an appointment for the following day. On the day of the appointment, the car was diagnosed, a new camera module was ordered, hopefully to arrive in a couple of days. The car was returned as it did not make sense to leave it parked at the service center.

For those who have replaced windshields, how long should the camera installation and calibration take?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad news.

The camera did not arrive in 2 days as advertised. The day the order was placed there were 4 cameras in Georgia, which apparently is their US distribution center; none got sent to Fred Anderson Kia of Raleigh. The cameras are now in backup order. The delivery time could be 5 days or it could be 3 months.

Nowadays all kinds of businesses play the virus thing as a joker card to excuse their non-performance. Me, I am questioning Kia's quality in materials and in processes. The car is not even two months old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a 2 week wait, I called the dealer to follow-up. No news. Says he will not get an update until a replacement part clears customs.

So far, it's been 3 weeks since diagnosis and parts order, and a month since breakdown.

The car has been broken down for about 50% of the time that I have owned it.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
What about ordering Kia's part personally and ask for reimbursement from your dealer (if you can find OEM over internet, other dealers, other countries)? The long waiting time is very disappointing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A friend has a toy store and the backorders and no show of shipments is horrid. Covid is causing supply issues all along the chain - factories can't get supplies to make items, shipping to/ from factories is delayed while they wait for cargo space, once the cargo ship arrives in the US it sits off shore waiting for it's turn to unload, then it waits for a truck/train to move it to the warehouse...) It's going to continue to be bad for another 6 months at least.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. I moved from NC to another state, hundreds of miles away. The following day, I kid you not, I got a call from the dealer, advising the part arrived the day before.

If they had called me as I was driving already even 100 miles away I would have turned around, gotten the car fixed, and left a couple of days later.

Since it took them two months to get the part, I asked if they would send the part to a Kia dealer in my new state. They said they were going to ask.

Came back on the phone extremely rudely and said they wouldn't, that I had to start the process from scratch. I have no explanation for the final rudeness. Maybe they completely misunderstood and thought that somehow I was asking to send me the part. Whatever. Kia service!

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Can you ask them to ship it to you and you would cover the shipping cost? Describe them that it is important for you and it is hard for you to wait for another 2-3 months. If it did not work, work with the nearest dealer to you and they may be able to get the camera from them. If nothing worked, it does not look a quality customer service and it would result around half a year waiting to fix a minor issue for a customer. You may write your experience with them on Yelp or their other websites.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: FIXED just shy of the three-month mark

Called Cumberland Kia of Cookeville, TN, which gave me an appointment for a couple of days later (Parkside Kia of Knoxville offered up a November appointment). In a bit over one hour, Cumberland Kia determined the camera module that lives forward of the rearview mirror was bad; had to order one; it should take about five days.

After five days, I called Kia Cumberland and they advised the camera had been received. Gave me an appointment for the next day. In about one hour, they installed the new one, test-drove the car, and on my request/their advice raised the headlights 2 steps (1 step too many; must lower 1 step; will do next week).

I've since driven a few hundred miles in a couple of days. All systems perfect. Other than the quality issues, I find the car to be excellent value for money.

I want to thank those who provided feedback, orientation, and advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts