Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is an odd one and I'll admit, my Niro is replacing a fairly old car so this might be normal.
Does anyone else notice the fan still going for minutes after turning off your vehicle?
It's not really a bother, but it's very loud and I just wanted to make sure it's normal. I'd assume it's to help cool things down or something (even though this is the winter...), but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
237 Posts
Is your Niro a PHEV?

If so here is a thread describing some noises you may hear

Also on newer cars it is not unheard of for the cooling fans to come on and run with the car off if the system demands it. I have the PHEV and have actual experience only with that vehicle.

I also suggest you read the owners manual thoroughly so you can take advantage of all the features these great cars have!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine just a normal HEV, but yes. I need to sit down and go through the entire manual. I haven't learned everything about the climate system yet either, which has been giving me quite a few problems (it always goes to defrost mode when I'd rather have leg fans going).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
237 Posts
The climate control is a challenge to get a hold of. If it is in auto it pretty much does what it thinks needs to be done. The manual recommends putting the setting at 72 degrees, push auto and then keep your hands off of it.

When you want to make manual changes or take control of it yourself, this is where challenges occur. After 7 months of ownership and reading the manual a couple of times I can usually get it to do what I want but I have become resigned to the fact I am probably better off putting it in auto, stetting it at 72 degrees and then keeping my hands off of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
In general I'm usually happy with leaving the HVAC on auto, but there are times I want more air circulation than the system is calling for. At least for fan speed control, that's easy to override. But typically I'm satisfied with how it decides to circulate the air.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I juat spend my time fighting with other unwanted passengers request that they get their side of the car to have some form of control rather than it staying in the more economical driver side only mode

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
In 23 months of four season ownership, I've never heard a fan running after I've turned the car off. I have excellent hearing but to be honest, I've never heard the engine fan even when running. Electric fan and apparently pretty quiet.

I think you need to investigate further.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard the fan in the Niro come on after parking, but being a PHEV the engine usually hasn't been running when I park. Now my past cars have done this often. It's going to depend on the temperature of the engine cooling system at the time of shutdown. High speed driving shortly before shutdown, climbing a long hill (as I have to do to reach my home), they will raise the coolant temperature, then with the engine off the water isn't being circulated any longer, so gets a little heat soak from the engine. That will trip the cooling fan for a few minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, this is an odd one and I'll admit, my Niro is replacing a fairly old car so this might be normal.
Does anyone else notice the fan still going for minutes after turning off your vehicle?
It's not really a bother, but it's very loud and I just wanted to make sure it's normal. I'd assume it's to help cool things down or something (even though this is the winter...), but I'm not sure.
Did you get an answer? Mine has been doing this off and on. I have a video and there is no way to stop it but turning the car on and off. It’s strange. The dealer doesn’t know anything about it and dismissed the video. Mine is 2 years old.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
That is the battery fan under the rear seat then. I'd run that by the dealer. Possibly a bad temperature sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts