Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What have you discovered that was completely unexpected with the car?

I discovered that the HVAC turns the fan down when making a call.

Finally figured out what the little green light shaped like the car means, that the car is on and ready.

Seeing in the center display the light switch and wiper position is an unexpected neat feature.

Using sport mode without changing foot position is actually very noticeable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh I'd be lost without that green arrow. I often can't remember whether I've turned the car off or not. (Park and sit there for a minute, checking a message or something). WIthout the engine going and the key in position, it took me a minute to get used to the fact that the car was ON even though it didn't seem like it.

I've discovered the horn is a little hard to blow...difficult to just give a friendly tap with it. You have to really sort of lay on it to get any sound at all. Also discovered that my android auto is really hit and miss. Sometimes the voice command insists that there's no person by my husband's name in my phone. Other times it asks me "Which" (My husband's name). And there is only one, trust me. I think that may be a problem more wih my phone than my car, but it's still annoying. Discovered that when the free Sirius FM is almost up, the nice folks at Sirius call non stop and won't take no for an answer when they offer you all sorts of deals to continue the service.
Grrr...I never even signed up for it in the first place! (I must say though that I do enjoy it. When the News channels get me down, I flip to the comedy channels and back and forth to keep my spirit in the mid range. LOL

Good discoveries: It pops up a warning when one tire is low pressure...and shows you which one. THat's nice! Also, I fit a whole small dresser in the back with the seats down...that was a nice surprise...wasn't sure if I'd be able to. I bought a protector for the back seat that someone on this board recommended and that's working like a charm. (Also sort of a surprise). And the mileage STILL surprises me...that's the best thing about it all!

·
Registered
469 Posts
So many gadgets, lights, buttons to push, and displays that I can't even remember what is a surprise.

Get a new surprise (really an old one that I forgot about every time I get in it cause can't remember how it all works.

LOVE IT.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you put the wipers on full or intermittent during daytime, the headlights will turn on automatically after about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Luv the discoveries! Does anyone know what the vertical line of white dots are for on the right side of the instrument cluster....I never see mine move from the top dot?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you put the wipers on full or intermittent during daytime, the headlights will turn on automatically after about 30 seconds.
I can understand why a right side headlight would turn off if a right side turn indicator is on and flashing but headlights after wipers... don't see the connection.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I can understand why a right side headlight would turn off if a right side turn indicator is on and flashing but headlights after wipers... don't see the connection.
In rainy conditions, visibility is reduced. Thus headlights on is a safety feature to increase visibility in dangerous driving conditions. Required by many states, and all of Canada.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Luv the discoveries! Does anyone know what the vertical line of white dots are for on the right side of the instrument cluster....I never see mine move from the top dot?
I just noticed the dot for the first time yesterday. Mine was only the top dot also. I'm going to have to take a look at owners manual.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In rainy conditions, visibility is reduced. Thus headlights on is a safety feature to increase visibility in dangerous driving conditions. Required by many states, and all of Canada.
I actually never noticed that the headlights come on after extended wiper usage. When did it become required in Canada as I don't recall seeing vehicles do that typically

·
Registered
125 Posts
I actually never noticed that the headlights come on after extended wiper usage. When did it become required in Canada as I don't recall seeing vehicles do that typically
Most people ignore the "wipers on, headlights on" mantra in the US. I'm sure it's the same in Canada. Most cars now have auto headlights based on amount of light. That's why this is a cool perk on the Niro that it will turn the full lights on when the wipers are on. That way you can stay in "auto" lights when it is raining but still too bright for auto to kick the lights on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most people ignore the "wipers on, headlights on" mantra in the US. I'm sure it's the same in Canada. Most cars now have auto headlights based on amount of light. That's why this is a cool perk on the Niro that it will turn the full lights on when the wipers are on. That way you can stay in "auto" lights when it is raining but still too bright for auto to kick the lights on.
FCA cars do this also (Ram, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat). At least my Ram truck does. The wipers on makes the lights on also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Anyone know if you can get the digital speedometer to show on the same screen as the fuel economy breakdown?
Is there a digital speed option somewhere [I've a new '18 EX]
Yes, it’s on the little screen on the dash with the fuel economy. You use one of the steering wheel controls to move up and down between screens and one of them is a digital speedometer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts