Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've recently noticed there's a single note chime and a snowflake symbol next to the temp display when temp drops to 39F or below..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've recently noticed there's a single note chime and a snowflake symbol next to the temp display when temp drops to 39F or below..
Same as when a little dog sits on the passenger seat and briefly makes the seat belt warning go off. It usually takes me a minute to find out where to look to see what the ding is about. Only the low fuel and add fuel to save the battery makes sense, a great big message in the middle of the screen between the speed and gas gauge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed on my 2018 EX there is a setting for driver attention alarm. I turned it on but haven't seen it in action yet (good thing, I suppose!).

Has anyone tried the lane keep in the highest settings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
To discover almost all of the car features it is enough to read user manual. I'm almost sure that this car do not have any feature which is not described in this book.
Sad thing - some of things described in manual could be absent when you didn't pay for it :(

I for example by reading it discovered that it is possible to change headrest position (my previous car didn't have this feature) and could fit seat much better thanks to that.

What was discovered by myself is that when auto locking doors is enabled, then passengers of second row will not be able to open doors by pulling ONLY the door handle. It is necessary to unlock doors (unfortunately they could do it by itself using door lock switch above the handle, but I didn't informed any of my passengers so far about that thanks to that I decide when it is safe to allow them to leave the car.

Auto unlocking doors by changing to P is nice feature. I only miss something from mine previous car - without changing to P it was not possible to remove key from the ignition, so it was not possible to leave the car with the key and without P engaged (no risk of car move).

Like very much that on hills car uses only electric motor at the beginning when you want to climb slowly and there is hill assist and no risk of clutch burn (we have dry clutches which do not like that much more than wet ones).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Selecting radio stations from steering wheel

I've discovered that when using the up/down arrows on steering wheel to change the radio station, that when the lcd screen is in "radio" display, it will select the station shown on the lcd screen. If the lcd screen is changed to another display, or screen display turned off, the steering wheel up/down buttons react completely opposite. At first it was confusing but now it's annoying!
A quirky thing that can be corrected in the future!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Selecting radio stations from steering wheel

I've discovered that when using the up/down arrows on steering wheel to change the radio station, that when the lcd screen is in "radio" display, it will select the station shown on the lcd screen. If the lcd screen is changed to another display, or screen display turned off, the steering wheel up/down buttons react completely opposite. At first it was confusing but now it's annoying!
A quirky thing that can be corrected in the future!
"That's a feature not a bug!" ;)

While I understand not liking it, it is indeed intentional. Think of it this way... when you go from preset 1 to 2 (or 2 to 3) are you going up or down? Most people, mentally, would say that's 'up', so indeed usually the up arrow does it (in my case, I also keep my presetes in increasing station frequency order), so I'm going up in station number too.

However, when you're on the radio screen, the presets are listed:

So now when you go from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, you are visually going 'down the list'. It wouldn't make much sense to push 'up' and see the highlighted one go down the list visually. So now pressing down goes up in preset number. That's the reason for the difference, but yes it does mean that they work in the opposite direction depending which screen you're on.

You could argue that pressing downwards should always bring you up in preset number, but I would also find that confusing, probably slightly more so than what they did.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really like the red switches and indicators, I've been doing that for years on my other cars, this one it's already done!
Heated seats, nice, and my favorite, downward tilting rear view mirrors when you are in reverse! Just too cool!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
To discover almost all of the car features it is enough to read user manual. I'm almost sure that this car do not have any feature which is not described in this book.
Sad thing - some of things described in manual could be absent when you didn't pay for it :(

I for example by reading it discovered that it is possible to change headrest position (my previous car didn't have this feature) and could fit seat much better thanks to that.
Do you mean something other than just up or down? If so could you please provide the manual page that this is located?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just discovered the uvo "Parking Minder" feature. Absolutely brilliant.

On this idea, they should put a gps chip in the smart key and create a phone app to track & locate the key.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just discovered the uvo "Parking Minder" feature. Absolutely brilliant.

On this idea, they should put a gps chip in the smart key and create a phone app to track & locate the key.
While it’s be really cool, there’s a few problems with that. One, you need power to to use GPS, so your car battery would have to be replaced constantly or recharged regularly.

Second, GPS isn’t very accurate indoors. So while it could tell you that your key is in your house, but that’s about it.

Lastly, you track GPS, GPS doesn’t track you. Meaning, by tracking GPS the key could know where it is, but how would it tell anyone else? For that it would need cellular data (or at least Bluetooth if you were in range) to share its location with your app/a Kia server.

Given the size of things like an Apple Watch, it’s doable in a small package, but you have to charge those every day or two or three. Nobody wants to do that with a car key.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, mine is showing both digital speedometer and the fuel economy at the same time. How did I get there? I haven't the foggiest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was suprised to find that the Hybrid display on the dash can be touched to focus in on more specifics ... like sub-menus. For instance, it shows the tree and the car. You can tap on either one of those to focus on it - and make the other go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm a new owner of the 2020 Niro LXS model and I'm looking for the tree in the Eco Driving screen on the Hybrid menu. It's not showing up. Any ideas where it might be hiding?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually never noticed that the headlights come on after extended wiper usage. When did it become required in Canada as I don't recall seeing vehicles do that typically
I believe
D
Most people ignore the "wipers on, headlights on" mantra in the US. I'm sure it's the same in Canada. Most cars now have auto headlights based on amount of light. That's why this is a cool perk on the Niro that it will turn the full lights on when the wipers are on. That way you can stay in "auto" lights when it is raining but still too bright for auto to kick the lights on.
Daytime running lights have been mandatory on new vehicles in Canada since December 01 1989.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
Yeah, DRLs were required in Canada long before the US made them optional. And to my surprise I just searched and discovered that the US has not made them mandatory. I thought they were, but apparently not.

Many cars have headlights that come on when the wipers are engaged. My '18 Subaru Outback did, but it took far longer than the Niro to turn the lights on. The Sube was based on the number of wiper sweeps, so with a long delay set it took a while. The Niro turns them on based on time, and it's only about 5-7 seconds. I much prefer the faster turn-on time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi! I'm a new owner of the 2020 Niro LXS model and I'm looking for the tree in the Eco Driving screen on the Hybrid menu. It's not showing up. Any ideas where it might be hiding?
I looked for it also coming from my 2017 LX and my 2020 LXS doesn't have it. I've gotten pretty familiar with the new layout and I feel like the previous iteration of the menus gave you better info. I do like the graph in the center screen that displays the mpg over time

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts