Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Kia Niro EV 2020 and I want to install a fire extinguisher. What is the best place in the car to place the extinguisher?

I initially plan to buy this extinguisher from homedepot (class C for electric fires), assuming that it can stay without issue under high heat in the summers in the car:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have Kia Niro EV 2020 and I want to install a fire extinguisher. What is the best place in the car to place the extinguisher?

I initially plan to buy this extinguisher from homedepot (class C for electric fires), assuming that it can stay without issue under high heat in the summers in the car:

For quickest access you'd want it accessible from the driver's seat, say underneath, but modern cars have a bunch of junk under there that basically makes that impossible. You could mount it on the floor behind on of the front seats but that encroaches on rear passenger foot room. Best spot is probably in the back attached to the trim on either side. If that's no good then under the rear floor might work.

Are you thinking about a fire in your car or is this more of a general precaution thing? Realistically no fire extinguisher is going to be effective in a fire involving the traction battery of your EV. Heck, a fire truck flooding it with water it isn't going to do more than keep things from getting completely out of control while the fire merrily consumes the whole car. A fire in an electric vehicle is almost certainly going to be a total loss. Chemistry is a bitch and when you are talking about elemental lithium it's combustible with just about everything so putting it out is a challenge to say the least.

Not trying to pour cold water on your plan (I'm so sorry, that's a terrible pun), I've carried a small extinguisher in most of my vehicles over the years. The problem is that most vehicle fires involve a nearly limitless supply of fuel, be it oil, gas, or Group 1 metals. Add in many sources of heat and plenty of oxygen and you have all the ingredients for a really aggressive fire. The one time I had the chance to use my extinguisher in anger it ended up being completely useless. I and at least 3 other people including a state trooper emptied our cans on a small fire in the engine bay of a station wagon and it still burned to the ground by the time the fire dept arrived. Gas just kept dripping on the hot exhaust and reigniting every time we put it out. :confused:

Reactions: xenon2060

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Kia driver's seat does not have any space underneath. So, the best spot looks to be underneath the passenger's seat. It is for quick action on small possible fires such as faulty USB cable, faulty mobile battery.

I do not expect that it can help to extinguish fire due to EV battery (unless I buy 20 of these :ROFLMAO:).

·
Registered
983 Posts
If there is a fire in the car you just want yourself and everybody else to just get out as quick as you can. So fumbling about for a fire extinguisher is probably not a good idea. Just get out and let it burn I'm sorry to say (better if it's total loss anyway for the insurance). Better scenario is having a fire extinguisher handy if you come across someone or something in need of a fire extinguisher so a good place for it is in the trunk in that small space under the trunk floor. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
A fire in an EV, assuming it's a battery fire is going to be difficult at best to put out, especially with some cheap fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While a fire extinguisher is in fact useless against a traction battery fire, it is useful in preventing a fire from becoming a traction battery fire. Now fires in cars are not that common at all, and since EVS don't hold flammable liquid, even less so. They do not cost much.
Having one in a car is a useful precaution.
You are more likely to use it for something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts