Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just over a month in on owning my 2019 Kia Niro LX w/Tech Package that was still new on the lot at the end of January. I'm still pulling protective tape off of things, so we have decided they jinxed it by not getting it ready to sell two years ago. I do think I finally found the last piece of tape, though. I will have over 3000 miles on it in the next few days, and have been averaging 45mpg, which for a bunch of 70 mph highway driving (and a sometimes heavy foot) isn't bad.
So far I've already done a few things to make it more mine.
I live on a country road and have a dirt driveway, so I installed the OEM Niro-branded all weather mats front, middle, and back. (The cargo mat still hasn't flattened out yet... SMH.)
My biggest pet peeve in my Ford Flex is the lack of covered storage in the rear, so I also installed an OEM cargo shade.
Lastly, I installed Auxito LED headlights and fog light bulbs, as well as Sylvania LED interior bulbs for the front and second row. I feel like that gives it a more techie look to go with the hybrid powertrain.

I have been thinking about getting some slightly wider 16" wheels and tires to add a little grip for handling and dirt roads, but so far I'll be keeping the stock wheels and tires since they're new. I may pull the covers off and paint the silver sections black however.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I get about 45 mpg driving 70-85mph (speed limit is 65-75 and I'm going speed of traffic or getting passed). I did an 80 mile drive today and got 72 mpg - used all 26 PHEV electric miles and half the trip was at 25-40 mph. Crazy good milage at lower speed.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
I get about 45 mpg driving 70-85mph (speed limit is 65-75 and I'm going speed of traffic or getting passed). I did an 80 mile drive today and got 72 mpg - used all 26 PHEV electric miles and half the trip was at 25-40 mph. Crazy good milage at lower speed.
That would be true for any vehicle. MPG drops exponentially when speeds increase above 50 mph.
Hybrid shines in city type driving at lower speeds.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I use it mostly around the city on PHEV, but every 4-8 weeks do a 1000 mile round trip. I'm willing to sacrafice MPG and cut off an hour from the trip by going the speed limit + a little bit more.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
Let me say the Niro shines under all conditions and all hybrids are at their best MPG in city driving.
I agree that cutting trip time is worth the loss in MPG and if it was an SUV, the MPG would be much, much less and with the current increase in gas prices, any saving is worthwhile over the long run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I use it mostly around the city on PHEV, but every 4-8 weeks do a 1000 mile round trip. I'm willing to sacrafice MPG and cut off an hour from the trip by going the speed limit + a little bit more.
I originally went to look at a used PHEV that was equiped exactly like the HEV I bought. My thought was I could use electric in the small town I live in and on days that I went to Austin I'd theoretically use about a gallon of gas each way and use electricity around the city. I still kinda wish it was a PHEV, but the used one was only $2000 less than I paid for the new HEV and was scratched up with 30,000 miles. I think I made the right choice, at least until I find a full EV I like. Haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't do that in most states. Can't say for sure about Texas, but it appears they require one. I know my state (WA) does.
Yeah it's unfortunately required in Texas. My brother drove around the last 5 years without one and didn't have much trouble himself, but I was stopped three different times when driving his car because of it. I did get some slim black silicone plate frames for once I have them though.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
179 Posts
I'm just over a month in on owning my 2019 Kia Niro LX w/Tech Package that was still new on the lot at the end of January. I'm still pulling protective tape off of things, so we have decided they jinxed it by not getting it ready to sell two years ago. I do think I finally found the last piece of tape, though. I will have over 3000 miles on it in the next few days, and have been averaging 45mpg, which for a bunch of 70 mph highway driving (and a sometimes heavy foot) isn't bad.
So far I've already done a few things to make it more mine.
I live on a country road and have a dirt driveway, so I installed the OEM Niro-branded all weather mats front, middle, and back. (The cargo mat still hasn't flattened out yet... SMH.)
My biggest pet peeve in my Ford Flex is the lack of covered storage in the rear, so I also installed an OEM cargo shade.
Lastly, I installed Auxito LED headlights and fog light bulbs, as well as Sylvania LED interior bulbs for the front and second row. I feel like that gives it a more techie look to go with the hybrid powertrain.

I have been thinking about getting some slightly wider 16" wheels and tires to add a little grip for handling and dirt roads, but so far I'll be keeping the stock wheels and tires since they're new. I may pull the covers off and paint the silver sections black however.
View attachment 6712 View attachment 6713 View attachment 6714 View attachment 6715
Did those OEM floor mats come with the car or did you purchased them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did those OEM floor mats come with the car or did you purchased them?
I purchased them from another Kia dealership on eBay. The car only came with the driver side carpet floor mat. The dealership is supposed to be looking for the other 3, but I imagine after a year and a half on the lot they're long gone and I'm not worried about getting them since I would just have to find somewhere to store them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the bulb sizes for the headlight and fog lights ?
On mine, a 2019 LX with the Tech package, the headlights were 9005, and the fog lights were listed as H11/H8 I used Auxito for both off of amazon. Normally I'd like a warmer color temperature than the 6500K that they were, but for the price they have impressed me and look good with the LED pipe light in the headlight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts