Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expresso brown. Today, went back to the dealer for winter mats and took the car on a drive across the beautiful St. Lawrence river to Massena NY. Perfect. My driving habits are very conservative and my tree is growing quickly. i got down to 4.9 k/100L. That is the best I have ever done on any car. My Subaru Forester once went to 7.2 and I thought that was fun. This is beyond fun. I just want to drive everywhere, even to the corner store......I think I will...bye for now!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Congrats! I believe you'll find the Niro an excellent replacement for your Sube. My Niro replaced a 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring, and other than the power I don't miss anything about it. Especially the gas mileage!

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
My driving habits are very conservative and my tree is growing quickly. i got down to 4.9 k/100L.
Wow, that is awesome!! but, it will go a small bit up in the colder Canadian winter... It is a great vehicule. Had a HEV last year and changed to a PHEV last december.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I see a pattern. I had a Subaru legacy. Nice car, least reliable car I ever had. If 30 days went by without something breaking I counted myself lucky.

P.S. congratulations on the new car.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
I see a pattern. I had a Subaru legacy. Nice car, least reliable car I ever had. If 30 days went by without something breaking I counted myself lucky.

P.S. congratulations on the new car.
Nah, my Outback was flawless for the year and a half I had it. I just felt the need to move to something more economical. My Niro is that in spades.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I once owned a 1979 Subaru station wagon - would you believe FWD only (about 31 mpg overall)? Bought it at 60,000 miles, sold it at 200,000 miles with zero mechanical issues for $1,000. Still miss it. Better visibility than any modern car, including the Niro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only bought 4 new cars in my life (50 years behind the wheel), and one of my top criteria is good visibility for backing up. My '88 Subaru GL wagon, which I still own and will never give up, scores 100 on this.

I'm one month into my new Niro (PHEV LX), and it scores miserably in this respect. Using my rear view mirror, I can't see out the quarter panel windows; swiveling my head gives me just a sliver of visibility. Merging or changing lanes takes lots of double-checking and elevated heart rate... Backing up, I find myself depending on the rear camera too much. In either case, the blind spots remain blind, and I now do those maneuvers very slowly. I can't and won't retrain myself to rely on only technology -- cameras and blind spot warnings -- poor rear visibility is simply a deficient design. But it's sadly one that most SUVs suffer from nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Niro. It has just about everything I was looking for, for our driving habits, and its features and technology greatly outweigh a few demerits. I have only two complaints about the design: poor rear visibility, and the frustrating climate control system which doesn't allow fan-only mode. When I'm not dealing with those two "features", it's the most fun gadget I own.

Oh, my only other complaint: I used to go everywhere on my bicycle, for exercise and efficiency. Now I make excuses to go out cuz we can do almost everything in EV mode.

We're nearly at 1,000 miles of ownership, and we've used a little over 1/2 tank of gas (the dealer fill-up). I can't get over that :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying about visibility. But to give some perspective to it I am coming from a 2008 Generation 2 Prius to our new 2019 Niro.

Talk about miserable visibility trying seeing to the sides or rear in a Prius. This makes the Niro visibility seem like perfection.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
We're nearly at 1,000 miles of ownership, and we've used a little over 1/2 tank of gas (the dealer fill-up). I can't get over that :)
I just hit 6000 miles a few days ago. I've gone over 1500 miles on a half tank, and only added gas to top it off with some fresh fuel. But now that it's getting cold, the ICE has to kick in for heating, so now I'm seeing about 110-130 MPG overall. Somehow I think I'll be able to cope with that. :D

But when my lease is up, I'm going full EV. It's just so nice to come to a stop in complete silence and no vibration. 0:)

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
I've only bought 4 new cars in my life (50 years behind the wheel), and one of my top criteria is good visibility for backing up. My '88 Subaru GL wagon, which I still own and will never give up, scores 100 on this.

I'm one month into my new Niro (PHEV LX), and it scores miserably in this respect. Using my rear view mirror, I can't see out the quarter panel windows; swiveling my head gives me just a sliver of visibility. Merging or changing lanes takes lots of double-checking and elevated heart rate... Backing up, I find myself depending on the rear camera too much. In either case, the blind spots remain blind, and I now do those maneuvers very slowly. I can't and won't retrain myself to rely on only technology -- cameras and blind spot warnings -- poor rear visibility is simply a deficient design. But it's sadly one that most SUVs suffer from nowadays.

I do not understand why so many people say they have a blind spot on their car. It is a total mystery to me as the combination of all the mirrors on your car and your head should be enough. What I do get is that the vast majority of the people who drive cars do not have a clue how to use the mirrors in the car, and more to the point how to set them up so that you can see all around you. For some rather stupid reason, there are those who feel that the side mirror should be able to see down the side of the car so that you can see all the wonderful people that are behind you, that is already covered by the rear view mirror. then they complain about the blind spot on their car that is massive when someone is in the lane beside theirs and about even with the bumper of the car to about the even with the drivers door. This area is blind if you have your side mirrors pointed to see down the side of the car and behind you. So why do you insist on pointing them that way.

Did you know that your head moves? If you lean your head so that your ears touch your shoulders, the view from your side mirror will change dramatically. Sit normally in your drivers seat and give it a try. You will see that your side mirrors are now looking at the side of your car and see nothing of what is behind you. If you adjust your side mirrors out to see only just down the side of the car with your head in that position, the side mirrors will be pointing outward enough to see all around the car.

So you are going to argue there is still a blind spot. NO. As the angle of view from the rear view mirror is pretty wide, if a car is coming up one of the sides, as the car leaves the view of the rear view mirror, it will magically now come into view from the side view mirror. A car is pretty long, so sure you will not see the whole car, but as the back end of the car leaves your rear view mirror, the front of the car is now in the side view. Does it really matter if you see the middle of the car? And as an additional bonus, as the rear of the car is leaving the view of the side mirror, the front of the car will be right beside the drivers door so your should be able to see them by just glancing to your side.

there is no reason you need to check over your shoulder to see if there is a car there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Roadkill, absolutely agree with you. For those interested in what we mean when we say there are no side blind spots and how to achieve that, this video might help...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roadkill and Beth -- good points, and the video reinforces the best way to eliminate blind spots.

But even in the video, the guy talks about "motorcycles still go into your blind spot" (paraphrased). I'd like to make a video of what I see from the driver's seat of my Niro, with a bicycle or a child's basketball off to the right rear end of the car. And how I can't see it, no matter how I adjust my mirrors "correctly" or how I swivel my head.

The video always talks about cars overtaking you in the adjacent lane, and you're planning to change lanes -- so you lean and swivel, as you should. But sometimes a vehicle matches your speed and merges next to you (or a bicycle approaches, etc) exactly in the position where it's "blind" and you're not expecting it, so you aren't leaning and swiveling. In my Niro, and in most modern car designs, it's hard to see, and I now take more time to check everything.

Backing up is arguably the most dangerous maneuver we do (although at low speed, so less risk of injury or damage), and I'm hypersensitive about running over a shopping cart, a basketball, or a kid chasing it. In my Niro, I now creep at low speed with constant mirror- and head-swiveling, but there IS a blind spot. I've been driving for 50 years with no accidents or collisions, I can't claim to be the best driver but my cars have always had better visibility out the back.

Like any new car, there are things to get used to. I can eliminate 96% of the "blind spot" by changing my driving habits -- my point is that my previous vehicles ("good designs", in my mind) had better visibility and didn't require diverting my attention.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't think if blind spots exist is debatable. Minimizing the impact is not. Adjustment of mirrors and "head swiveling" is only part of the story. Being aware of your space at all times is super important. As a motorcyclist (and bicyclist), I'm aware how invisible we are to many drivers. From a life perhaps misspent from breaking the 55 mph limit by a lot, I learned to monitor rear traffic with quick glances at mirrors every few seconds. This habit has persisted though I'm now typically driving with traffic. As such, no one ever surprises me in a blind spot as I'm monitoring vehicles before they enter the blind spot. In addition, I monitor traffic well ahead of me (again from decades of traffic cop avoidance). Not only does this serve me well to get into the most efficient lane ahead of time, I'm also doing defensive driving ahead of time, checking out space to the left and right for emergency maneuvers if someone ahead does something really stupid.

Likely that this level of monitoring personal space is unusual and would be hard to adopt without the threats (incentives to avoid fines/accidents) I was facing driving fast while young. Technology and legislation will be catching up to the challenges of seeing in cars compromised by current fashion. Right now, some cars including the Niro EV can display the rear view camera full time, providing a panoramic rear view, including perhaps 80% or better of the blind spot. Cars with cameras on four side can provide a 360 degree view with no blind spots, including a birds eye view (mostly used for parking).

·
Registered
118 Posts
True, it doesn't "eliminate" but it certainly shows me way more than the old way the mirrors were adjusted. I'll take any advantage I can get to know what is around me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've only bought 4 new cars in my life (50 years behind the wheel), and one of my top criteria is good visibility for backing up.

I have only two complaints about the design: poor rear visibility, and the frustrating climate control system which doesn't allow fan-only mode.

I'm able to run mine in fan-only mode. It's been a while since I thought about this, but I think sometimes when I turn the fan on, the AC comes on automatically and I have to manually turn off the AC. Maybe the temperature setting I've dialed in influences the behavior, not sure.

As for your visibility concerns, a very clever young woman has identified a solution. I wonder how many years it will take before this is a mainstream feature in new cars. https://hypebeast.com/2019/11/alaina-gassle-broadcom-masters-automobile-safety-blind-spot-invention-news

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm able to run mine in fan-only mode.
Not really, at least when it comes to one button fan control. Only if your set temperature matches the outdoor temperature will this happen, so when I want ambient temperature with fan, I first have to set the temperature appropriately. Otherwise, it will be heated, or cooled.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not really, at least when it comes to one button fan control. Only if your set temperature matches the outdoor temperature will this happen, so when I want ambient temperature with fan, I first have to set the temperature appropriately. Otherwise, it will be heated, or cooled.
Sorry to hear that you have to put up with that. My EX Premium works the way I described. Perhaps it's due to a difference in the trim package?

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining it, I tested it just now. It was about 85 F outside. I turned the temp dial down to 63 F and the fan came on, so I hit the Off button. Then I hit the fan button. It blew ambient air temp. About half way to the shopping center, I hit the AC button and in about 15 seconds, the air was noticeably cooler coming out the vent, also, the indicator light over the AC button lit up, and the "AC" on the climate display went from grey to black. I hit the AC button a second time a minute later, the indicator light went out, the "AC" went back to grey, and after about 20 seconds, the air coming out the vent started to warm up: all the while my climate is "set" to 63 F and the fan is running..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts