Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I admit that I have never had AC come on, but I've only ever used manual controls. I assumed the AC would come on if Automatic was selected. Yes, heat comes on if it is set to a higher temperature than ambient from just turning it on by either the fan or the direction buttons. In fact, if temperature is set higher than ambient and no fan, it will blow warm just from wind pressure.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Heating is different. If I dial the climate temp up to max and turn on the fan, my experience is that this will start the ICE so that it can generate heat (according to the owners manual, it does that when the coolant temp is less than 57 F). For cooling, we have the AC button that we can toggle on or off: when it's off, the fan just runs and pumps ambient air temp if the climate temp is set to less than ambient. But when the climate temp is set above ambient and we hit the fan button, there is no "Heat" counterpart to the "AC" button, so we can't indicate to the car that we do/don't want it to generate heat. It just assumes that because we've dialed the climate temp up above ambient, that we want it to start the ICE so it can generate heat.

A number of people have posted comments expressing confusion about the climate control system. I don't have much insight into why so many folks are confused by this, but maybe I have an advantage coming from a 2008 Honda CRV that was sort of confusing in this respect until I eventually became accustomed to it. Or maybe the trim package really does make a difference.

That was half of the reason that I posted a response to SkidMark's comment. The other half of my motivation was because a 14 year old girl recently entered a science fair with a clever solution to SkidMark's visibility concerns, and I think people need to pay serious attention to her solution. This young woman's solution deserves significantly more recognition than it has received thus far. See my previous post on this thread for a link to the page that has a youtube video of her solution. I wish I had thought of it.

·
Super Moderator
627 Posts
Perhaps it's just the way that Kia has programmed the logic, but if I enable any of the HVAC functions, it immediately drops the estimated range. By 2 miles if it's showing about 16 miles or higher, or by 1 mile. If it were only running the fan, I can't believe it would have that sort of impact to the range. But as I said, the logic it uses to calculate the range might simply see any HVAC use as a max hit on the range, regardless of the actual energy draw. And I have noticed that even with the ICE running solely to provide heat, the energy flow display shows power being sent to the battery. It is definitely skewing my range slightly higher with the ICE running. And still seeing triple digits on the MPG display as long as I am moving at a reasonable speed under EV power. Really slow driving brings the MPG down into the 80s. :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
No, switching on HVAC doesn't immediately affect your range, it affects your displayed range. Yes, it can have an actual impact, but if you are simply running the fan at ambient temperature, it is too small to matter. For whatever reason, making a displayed range algorithm is just too complex to ever really be accurate. Don't you yourself often beat the displayed EV range? And are annoyed when you don't? It is just a fairly dumb display.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have to put up with that. My EX Premium works the way I described. Perhaps it's due to a difference in the trim package?

Just to be sure I wasn't imagining it, I tested it just now. It was about 85 F outside. I turned the temp dial down to 63 F and the fan came on, so I hit the Off button. Then I hit the fan button. It blew ambient air temp. About half way to the shopping center, I hit the AC button and in about 15 seconds, the air was noticeably cooler coming out the vent, also, the indicator light over the AC button lit up, and the "AC" on the climate display went from grey to black. I hit the AC button a second time a minute later, the indicator light went out, the "AC" went back to grey, and after about 20 seconds, the air coming out the vent started to warm up: all the while my climate is "set" to 63 F and the fan is running..
I have the EX Premium PHEV and if there is a temperature delta, maybe a grace of 1 or 2 degrees it will either cool or heat.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine is 2018 model (EX Premium PHEV), and I gather that yours might be 2019, but I don't think this changed very much for 2019, so perhaps there's some other explanation.

When you hit the fan button, does the AC indicator light come on? If you repeat the steps I described in my test (turning the temp down to minimum, hitting the Off button, then hitting the fan button) do you get cooled air out the vent or ambient? Be careful when you try to assess this: I took my car out of a cool garage into 85 F ambient, and when I first turned on the fan, the air was much cooler than ambient, but I think that's because the car and all of the ductwork was also much cooler than ambient. (That's why I eventually, deliberately, turned the AC on, so I could be sure that before I did that, I wasn't getting air that had been chilled by the AC). After I left it in the sun in the parking lot for a half hour, I resumed my journey to a second destination and by that time, the car had heated up. It was much easier to be confident that the AC wasn't running, just the fan, although the air still felt a tad cooler than ambient (which is usually the whole point of turning on the fan - moving air feels cooler than stationary air).

·
Super Moderator
627 Posts
No, switching on HVAC doesn't immediately affect your range, it affects your displayed range. Yes, it can have an actual impact, but if you are simply running the fan at ambient temperature, it is too small to matter. For whatever reason, making a displayed range algorithm is just too complex to ever really be accurate. Don't you yourself often beat the displayed EV range? And are annoyed when you don't? It is just a fairly dumb display.
Yeah, it's just a display based on an algorithm that can't possibly cover every potential. Yes, I can beat it regularly, but I don't believe I've ever been annoyed at it. 0:)

·
Super Moderator
627 Posts
Mine is 2018 model (EX Premium PHEV), and I gather that yours might be 2019, but I don't think this changed very much for 2019, so perhaps there's some other explanation.

When you hit the fan button, does the AC indicator light come on? If you repeat the steps I described in my test (turning the temp down to minimum, hitting the Off button, then hitting the fan button) do you get cooled air out the vent or ambient?
Yeah, I don't think anything really changed between the two years. To be honest, I don't think I've ever just hit the fan button. I mostly just use the Auto function, and if I wanted a different fan speed I just alter the temp setting. But no, the A/C indicator doesn't always come on when I hit Auto. I can't honestly say when it comes on, as I don't watch it that closely. And with current temps, the A/C isn't going to be used much for a while anyway. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Now that it is cooler here in W WA, when temps are below 45F, I usually want some heat for my feet. I typically set the temp 70-72 F. I'm having trouble getting my HVAC system to stay in the foot / windshield mode, especially if I try to use it with driver only mode. With "Auto" off, in either driver only or dual mode, it typically will revert (default?) within a few seconds to full defrost mode, sometimes even if I'm holding the button for foot/windshield down. It will do so repeatedly then inexplicably (at least to me) will stay in the setting I select. Seems to be a bit more cooperative after the car has ran for about 15 mins.

I find this very distracting and moderately frustrating. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
627 Posts
No suggestions, but I'll try to remember to try it tomorrow morning. As you know, it was quite cold and foggy this morning, and I believe tomorrow might be similar.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Now that it is cooler here in W WA, when temps are below 45F, I usually want some heat for my feet. I typically set the temp 70-72 F. I'm having trouble getting my HVAC system to stay in the foot / windshield mode, especially if I try to use it with driver only mode. With "Auto" off, in either driver only or dual mode, it typically will revert (default?) within a few seconds to full defrost mode, sometimes even if I'm holding the button for foot/windshield down. It will do so repeatedly then inexplicably (at least to me) will stay in the setting I select. Seems to be a bit more cooperative after the car has ran for about 15 mins.

ADS on? Try turning it off and it may behave differently.

·
Registered
526 Posts

That's probably the auto defogging system (assume your car has it). You can disable it (not sure if the setting is sticky or if you have to do it every time you start the car).

[edit]Dang, ninja'd by yticolev. That's what I get for taking a screenshot of the manual first.[/edit]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The ADS setting is sticky. It defaults to on, so it is possible that a 12 volt or infotainment reset will revert to default.

Wish standard cruise control option stayed sticky. Nope, every time I turn the car on I have to fiddle a few seconds to get it off the hated (by me) ACC.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks guys, that was the answer and yes the change is sticky

21 - 34 of 34 Posts