Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Niro and after riding it for a few days, here are some ideas/comments. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the car so far.

Easy fixes on the software side, which I really hope KIA could fix. (Does anybody know if car companies actually fix this kind of stuff for existing cars and only for new models etc?)

1. There should be the ability to turn off the welcome jingle (and maybe choose from a few alterantives or even better, upload your own from USB)
2. There should be the ability to adjust & turn off the welcome lights
3. Current consumption should be displayed in numerical format instead of the horizontal bar which is quiet useless and inaccurate
4. The A & B trip information screens should also display the average consumption (this is a real no-brainer)
5. After turning the engine off, the display shows the information for that trip for only maybe 2 seconds and there is no way to recall that screen. Really annoying.
6. The stereo keeps playing after I turn the engine off. There should be a possibility to set it to turn off at the same time as the engine.

Some other product development ideas:

- The trunk should be fully felted. It's ridiculous to have hard plastics where they are just waiting to get all scratched. Also they will create lots of noice when stuff is moving around.
- The rear seats should be able to slide forward to get a bit more cargo space when extra legroom is not needed. It's a very common feature in similar cars and especially in Niro, it would make it so much more versatile.
- The trunk organizer under the top floor is not very efficiently designed. I've been planning on getting rid of the styrofoam organizer and the styrofoam tire kit holder altogether and make a better storage space from plywood & felt.
- I find it a bit odd that the basic trim (LX here) features the Lane Assist but the side mirrors are not electronically foldable or even heated and they don't have blinkers on them.

Other gripes:

- The tailgate opening switch/handle is located very very badly. If the car is dirty, your fingers will get dirty as the gap is very low/narrow. But the worst thing is when you get snow & ice. I haven't experienced it yet (winter is coming) but I can guarantee it is going to be a problem as the recess in the bumper is going to be so full of snow&ice that it will be impossible to operate the tailgate.

But on the bright side:

- The sitting height is just perfect. Higher than a normal car but lower than an SUV. Perfect for everybody (adults, kids).
- The heated steering wheel is amazingly nice. A perfect example of a feature you don't really understand until you have it.
- Very quiet ride. It's honestly equally quiet as my brother's 2014 Audi Q5. I almost couldn't believe it.
- The Snow White Pearl color is just amazingly beautiful in sunlight. Easily the most impressive white color I've seen on any car.
- The interior ergonomics & design is very good. I find it very intuitive to read the gauges & find all the switches and there's plenty of small storage room.
- The interior finish quality is very good also. No rattles anywhere. The leather materials are smooth. The hard plastics especially on the doors & trunk are a bit of a letdown, but you can't have everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, just realized that the welcome lights can be turned off from the menu.

But another gripe also. There is no information about the elapsed time for the current trip (after turning the engine on) and it's not shown even on the trip summary screen that is quickly shown after turning the engine off. I can't understand how something so basic has slipped through the design process. The screen shows trip distance and average consumption, how on earth does it not have the time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, yet another very annoying little thing. The ringtone for phone calls seems to be fixed and there are no alternatives. That is just utterly crazy. And it's some stupid classical tune (maybe Bach). Someone must have been drunk while making that decision.

Or am I just missing the option to change it from some menu?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ringtones can be edited you go to Setup<Bluetooth<ringtone. Odd that you can't pick a standard ring, it has to be a song. In my Volt the ringtone would be identical to my iPhone, if I am remembering correctly, not sure why it can't do it here.

If you reset the trip a or trip b, it will show elapsed time of trip.

What do you mean driving style information? How close you follow? That pops up when you press the cruise control distance button and it goes away after a brief amount of time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have noticed many of the same minor annoyances mentioned above that make me wonder which executive approved the design:

- The tailgate button is poorly designed and placed; my hand always smudges on the dust and washer fluid spillage when opening and reaching up to close it (my 2010 Honda Insight had a crevice for the button to grab)
- Hard to find a way to change default Bluetooth ringtone
- Lack of sound-deadening fabric on trunk and door panels (my Insight had this)
- No garage door opener on visor or roof
- Potentially dangerous metal bar above brake pedal that interferes with larger-footed drivers (like me)
- No elapsed time display automatically (Insight also had this, without resetting Trip)
- Climate control doesn't allow fan speed adjustment in auto
- No way to disable auto fan speed reduction while call is on (on hot days, this gets extremely annoying)
- The hybrid system isn't quite as refined/smooth as Prius

There are several other things I can't of now, but overall, I get 50 mpg and enjoy the many perks of the EX trim.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thing - the Bluetooth connection makes no indication when a call drops like my Honda did. Sometimes I keep talking when the signal drops and don't realize there's no one listening. It's slow too - answering, dialing, and using the call control buttons is very laggy sometimes.

I should also mention that while this aisn't a so-called design problem with the car, the door lock buttons on the handles don't work about 5% of the time, forcing me to lock the car with the key. Usually it's the lock action only, but it has happened on unlock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really in depth review you've posted. I'm fine with plastics used in the cargo area instead of felt, left material to soak up spills.

The door lock problem sounds like something that would be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The door lock problem sounds like something that would be covered under warranty?
It would be covered but I doubt you can get it to be replicated by the dealer. I have had that happen once or twice and I just have to take out the key fob and lock or unlock it from there to "reset" the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts